Sound Deadener on bed liner???

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brandonium, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Brandonium

Brandonium Binder Driver

Hey all,

I am ordering my carpet tonight or tomorrow and was also looking at purchasing some sound deadener to cut down on sound and heat. I am adding the mass backing option to the carpet but I'm not sure if that is enough to kill the heat and noise. My floor has a bed liner so I was curious if there would be any potential problems from attempting to attach sound deadener to it. Any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Wipe the bead liner with acetone lightly. Glue the sound deadener down.

3. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

when you say sound deadener do you mean like dynomat? my bedliner is rough texture and i'm sure it would work, but the bedliner knocked my heat and noise way down by itself. carpet would really do it. i'd think about running a few screws in here and there where it's gonna be stressed the most.

4. Brandonium

Brandonium Binder Driver

My bed liner isn't super rough but it isn't completely smooth either. I would say maybe half/half. I was looking at a product similar to dynomat. I ordered carpet from ACC with mass backing also. I just know that when I drove it last month for an hour that the floor cooked the crapola out of my sandals. SUPER HOT! I don't want that to happen again, especially with carpet. lol

5. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Check Out these guys, they have a lot of good info in their forums and seem to answer question quickly:
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/store.php?category=70

I would think it would stick fine to the bed liner.
    A cheap alternative, though maybe not as effective is using a roofing underlayment like GRACE ice shield (sometimes called b**chathane in the building circles) which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, any Butyl underlayment would help some. Though the high end guys like Second Skin say it's not the same.

6. Brandonium

Brandonium Binder Driver

That is exactly the material I was looking at. Sometimes I feel like it's a gamble, especially with the price most sound deadening runs. Still less costly than dynamat... :)

7. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Farmall Cub

depending on my home engineered you want it to be, regular housing shingles are the same material as sound deadener. it's getting it to stick that's sole work, like epoxy or something.

8. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

to quiet the 6.9... ;) ....i sprayed the engine bay w/ 3M undercoat and dynamatted the firewall back under the floor (above trans. t/c). i'm going to pull the dash and 3M spray behind it and dynamat, then reinstall the dash and have something to the lines of rhino lining sprayed in the cab/bed. then i'm going to dynamat (i know $90 a box is alot but i'm not holding back now!) the floor inside the cab and use some style of marine/water-resistant (quick evap.) carpeting. with all luck that'll make the 6.9 cackle bearable and remove enough road noise and heat to make all day cruising EVEN MORE pleasureable then JUST being in a scout!! ;) :wub: :clap: :yes:

and as long as the liner is stuck good the deader will stick great, dynamat is like ROAD TAR, so it probably won't ever come off w/out a fight! :p

-Jon