SOLVED- Ignition issues! was: 1967 S800 4cylinder not running right- ideas?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Scoutcamper, Jul 28, 2019.

1. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Not the coil wire. Seems like that would be due to its present and incorrect association with the other wires. The oil, temp and fuel gauges function via variable resistance feedback from their respective senders.

2. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Woot! Got it up and running again today! I ordered the UC15 T on Amazon, it was supposed to be here Friday but they were back ordered. After some trial and error found a coil at O'reilly that seemed to match Scoutboy74's resistance numbers pretty well, I believe it was listed for a '67 VW Bug. Right around 2.0 Ohm primary resistance.

Plugged in the new coil, new condenser, and threw a spare set of new points on there for good measure.

It started right up and idles like a champ.

Driveability is not so great, I suspect I've got some dialing in to do on the rebuilt carb.

It started out with a bad bog and stumble at tip-in, and seemed really boggy overall. I leaned out the idle mixture and now it is almost driveable, with just a little hesitation and the occasional backfire if I give it too much throttle.

I should have a chance to get out there in the morning with a vac gauge and dwell / tach to set it up better.

I'll start a new carb tuning thread if I do.

-Josh

tim vaughan likes this.
  3. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Incidentally, this is with no changes to the existing wiring hookups. Still running the signal to the fuel pump relay from the connector feeding the coil positive.

I'm definitely planning a full re-wire at this point. Just need to buy a kit and find a weekend to install it.

-Josh

4. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

Glad this was sorted out. For spark I always assume coil, condenser, plugs first.

tim vaughan likes this.
  5. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Yup. That's the frustrating thing. I did that, but bad part(s) from the get-go had me chasing my tail.

-Josh

6. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Here is the coil that I ended up using. Master Pro 2-5195 from O'reilly, cost about $23.

-Josh

20190825_082433.jpg

tim vaughan and jeff campbell like this.
  7. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

A lot of the standard old school ignition parts are pretty much crap right out of the box these days. Coils and plugs being the ones with early failure rate in my experience.
    Best to keep some spares handy!

8. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

I hate to rain on your parade, but from my checking, the specs on that coil say 1.5 ohm primary resistance just like you had before. It may get you by for awhile, but I'm betting you will eventually begin to notice performance issues again as the coil goes through several overheat cycles and fails in the same manner as before. Once again, it's a good coil for a V8 engine, but not for 4 and 6 cylinders. You really need to get one with 3 ohms primary resistance. Going so far as to measure it in the store before you walk out with it isn't a bad idea. There's no short cuts on this one. You need the right part.

oneof3k likes this.
  9. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

The UC15 T finally came in from Amazon this evening, so I'll throw that and a new condenser in the glove box and see how long this one lasts. Also going to check the primary resistance on the UC15 T and see what it measures so we have it for the record.

I appreciate your take on it, and I'm not dismissing it, but the coil that I first removed looked to be original, was in the Scout since I bought it, and gave me at least a couple hundred miles since I owned it, but measured at 2.2 ohms across the primary. I also have done a good bit of idling while tuning, and a few test drives at this point and not found the new coil getting hot like the others did almost immediately. I'm curious to see what happens, but I'll keep the spare parts on hand.

-Josh