soldering a radiator overflow tube back on

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 76scoutII, Nov 1, 2006.

1. 76scoutII

76scoutII Farmall Cub

I messed up, I broke the tube for the overflow when I was changing a harmonic balancer a few weeks ago. it is right there below the radiator cap, and the rubber hose leading to the overflow tank clamps to it.
    I can't take the radiator out to have my local radiator shop repair it, so I am going to have to fix it myself. I think that it is brass, so can I solder that back on?? A friend of mine told me that using silver solder should work, but I am not a soldering/welding expert, so I figured I would post up here to see if anyone has some suggestions or knows the proper way to perform this repair.

2. 1977ScoutII

1977ScoutII High Wheeler

Me and a buddy did this on my Scout repairing a crack. You can get the torch set up at wall mart for about $10.00 and the silver solder there as well. A set up like you are going to be doing some plumbing work.

I would highly recommend finding a scrap radiator to practice on. If you get the radiator two hot you will end up with a big hole real quick, not what you want, get it just hot enough where the silver sticks then heat up slowly to get it to flow. Keep wet towell handy to keep cooling the area around repair cool.

Again, I am no expert, I have only done this once, and I recommend you get something to practice on.

It can be done, take your time. I hope someone else responds who has more experience than I do.

3. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

Jb weld , I done it as a "temporary" repair several years ago on a rad with the same problem and it has worked great so the "temporary" repair is now permanent :rolleyes:

4. Nathan Kussmann

Nathan Kussmann Farmall Cub

Local radiator shops will put a whole new neck on. They cut the old one off, solder a new one on. I had one fixed for $25 about 10 years ago.

Nathan

5. Bread

Bread Binder Driver

2nd that. I used JB weld to re-attach the side tank bracket on my radiator two years ago. It's still holding strong today. That stuff is amazing.

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

yes good ole jb will do it,just clean up the area real well,sandpaper,the key to this is good prep.jeff