SoCal Diesel Traveler

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by cudakota, Mar 30, 2013.

1. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

Here is my Scout. I've had it for about half a year, it was halfway through the whole lift and disc brake conversion when I got it.

Here are some pics from when I first got it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was missing lots parts and has many less-than-ideal let's call them "custom" areas. I get the feeling that it was a parts truck and/or an offroad-only beater at some point in it's life. Front drive shaft was missing parts to install, steering mod badly done, some brake lines gone, lots of brake parts gone, no seat belts, no tail lights, rat's nest wiring, and the list goes on.

Given that I got a decent deal considering that I was unable to drive it before purchasing due to the lack of a braking system, I took a short cut and had a mechanic finish the rear El Dorado brake conversion that was started, and get the brakes working, so I could get to driving it. I let him figure out what parts were missing, and the right stuff to combine Chevy and IH parts. Got a Chevy 1-ton master cylinder on it. He replaced the booster too, but I'm not sure what he used, either Chevy or Scout. Doesn't matter though, already picked up a hydroboost unit anyway.

Since then, I've been chipping away at other issues, from a new radiator install, to pulling out wires-to-nowhere and handfuls of dried clay from underneath it, and hunting down parts!

[​IMG]
    I like the unique top that it has. It's a full Traveler top, cut down and the seam was then filled. Permanently open is fine for the weather we get here most of the year, and I park it indoors.

Goals:
    Reliability (want to make this a backup daily driver)
    Safety (cage, shoulder belts, hydroboost)
    Rust removal and prevention (change floors and bedline it)
    and other cool stuff..:clap:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

Here she is getting new Champion radiator put in. Luckily I came up on a collection of step stools to get the job done easier. This thing is big. :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Showing up for a weigh-in. 4250 lb there, no back seat, no tailgate :cornfused:
    [​IMG]

Interior shots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see, someone apparently grabbed some galvanized roof flashing, rivets, and tar to patch some rust holes in the floor.:censored:

3. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

That's going to be a fun project! :beer:

With the roof flashing, and tar, all you need to add is shingles, and you'll have the sound proofing and leak proofing handled... :oops:
    Funny what some people do. I once bought a Datsun 510, that had four layers of floor mats because the floors were so rusted out, they kept getting soaked.
    I was surprised the driver didn't have lung issues from all the mold.
    Looking forward to following your progress! :rockon:
    Scott

4. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

So I had a really bad noise coming from somewhere up in front of the engine. I pinpointed it to the alternator, and it sounded like metal against metal, pinging and scraping and squeaking. Strange thing was it had a sticker saying it had been rebuilt fairly recently.
    [​IMG]

Pulled it out to get a closer look. In trying to take it apart further, I missed taking out the brushes, and broke them.:pinch:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I went on the hunt for brushes..... Fast forward to a few days later, finally found them, soldered them to the mounting tabs, [​IMG]

and was finally able to break the last :censored: bolt free to get the front cover off
    [​IMG]

Finally found my culprit. It was missing the woodruff key, so everything was coming loose, and the noise was the fan smacking on the alternator housing. Dug up my woodruff key set, popped one in, and good to go!
    [​IMG]

5. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

Now, onto the next challenge: try to figure out why the Scout doesn't wanna go.

The engine seems to run fine, but it doesn't really transfer the power to the wheels. I have to step on it for a moment to get the thing to start moving, and I have to get it to nearly redline to get a crawling pace out of first or reverse. Top speed after about 200 yards is about 40mph, and it doesn't want to get into 3rd gear. Any thoughts on this?:cornfused:

6. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

Had my injectors rebuilt this week. Detailed info on that here.

It was all going pretty well until the last moments, when I had a flare nut from a fuel line split open. :confused:

[​IMG]

Now I'm leaking diesel everywhere if I try to run the engine.

[​IMG]

Gonna cross my fingers that I can find just that little line somehow, and swap it. Otherwise I might need the whole assy:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe it's fixable? The other end of this line has a permanently-fixed fitting, so I can't just slide a new flare nut on. I'd have to cut off the flare, change nut, re-flare the line, and hope it still reaches.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

Major lack of updates on this. I had to get a new piece of fuel line made at a diesel shop, and the new injectors make the engine run so much better. Beyond that, it's been mostly test driving, aka cruising for hours, which resulted in discovering a stock-looking 1980 SD33T Traveler in the area.:D
    [​IMG]

Now that I run it longer, I realized that the engine really wakes up after getting fully warmed up (~10 mins or so of driving). Obviously I still have to make sure I have plenty of space when turning onto a street with traffic. Verdict: I think I need more power, so I'm looking into alternate engines. I'd love a 4bt, but they are really hard to come by. I think a 6bt would be more difficult to get in, and it might be too much motor, so I might settle for a 6.2L.:pinch:

On another sad note, I found that my frame is cracked.:censored: I guess when the body shop straightened it out for me, they didn't check the spots that they unbent for cracks. This might explain why the Scout wanders so much at higher speeds (over 30mph haha). I don't think I'll bother taking it back to the shop to complain. I don't ever want to go back there, it was bad enough getting them to replace the radiator that they broke. I'll either find the cracks and fix them myself, or swap the frame.

Maybe some of you can help me out: I came across a 6.2L 4x4 Suburban, 1989, for about a grand. Would it be crazy of me to think I can get that, throw the suburban body away, shorten it's frame, and drop a Scout body on top?:cornfused: