Snow plow on scout II

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by larboc, Nov 21, 2009.

1. larboc

larboc Binder Driver

anyone have experience with one? Where do they mount? I'm planning on putting a plow on my 1980 over christmass break. Assuming I'm going to have to build a mount from a mount from another donor plow truck.

2. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

If you plan on any real plowing with your Scout it is best to find one that was made for a Scout. The Scout frame is a box so it is not that strong in any one place. There are lots of Scout plow frames around if you look. If you can't find one it would be best to copy an original. I think you are better off driving for a day to get one that fits rather then spending days tring to make one fit. If you have the right one you can mount it in a few hours. As far as I know a frame from any Scout II will fit . If the frame is from an early Scout II you may have to remove your sway bar. On some of the frames you ca cut a slot for the sway bar to go through.
    I found this on craigs list : http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/1463651934.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. BennettMoe

BennettMoe Farmall Cub

I just mounted a Meyer plow on my '78. It mounts to the frame on the driver's side to the rear ps box stud and on the passenger side just rearward of the front spring hanger. I thought I would need to take out the steer-straight, but after installing it, i don't think that I needed to take it out. If you need pics, just let me know.

4. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you need photos, right now I have two Scout II plows that are off the trucks- one is a Meyer that I thought was refabbed from something else, but now that I read Bennett's post I'm not sure. It has an angle to in back of the steering box on the driver's side, then an angle back not nearly as far on the passenger side where it then uses a BIG bolt that goes up through the frame vertically. It looks like somebody added another brace to the rear of that also, to match the driver's side. This one doesn't have the provision for the 'sway bar' between the front shackles since it originally came off of a 72 Scout II. The other one is a Western, totally factory mount for a Scout II with the provision for the sway bar. I plan to use the Meyer (easier to install due to wires instead of the cables and big old control box), but since both are off right now I can take pics if you want to show the mounting points etc.

I also saw that ad on CL for the frame, IMHO that's about double what that frame is worth. It would be nice to have to avoid fabrication and all, but I've sold complete, working plow setups for Scout II's for not much more than that....I realize they're not making those frames anymore, but I also realize that lots of people are junking plow Scouts, and not too many are 'adding' plow Scout except us diehards.

5. jeff rotella

I agree that is a lot for just a frame, especially one that has been re-worked.I have got whole Scouts with plows for not a lot more. However if you need one $300 is better than spending a lot of time building something. I feel $100 is a lot for it if it is only a frame.

6. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

I have a plow on my '74. The PO added a lot of extra bracing and fabbed up their own front mount. I will advise to put helper springs on the front to keep weight distribution correct. I have both air bags & a helper spring, with the plow I've got mounted, it still tries to sag when lifted.

A lot of welding was done to make the attachment points, but it's darn strong and holds up well at -60*F.

There are pics of different plows under the search tool, but if you want bracing ideas, check out this thread

I can get more pics if needed, the plow is on right now.

HTH

Bill

7. larboc

larboc Binder Driver

hmm, interesting. I figured the factory bump stops were so close to the axle it wouldn't be an issue.

My plans were to do spring over front with extra leafs from another sII pack I've got.

8. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

If you do your spring pack idea. Search for Bill USN-1 's build. He re did some spring packs with anti friction pads and an extra leaf. If you do take yours apart you might consider doing what he did. It might make any stiffness easier to deal with if the springs move easily. I'm going to go with the UHMW plastic tape instead of the pads he used because of not needing to drill.
    If you want. I have access to a Meyers lower mount (the meat and potatoes of the mount) for a Scout. I can take measurements and pictures of it tomorrow. I also have access to a Western mount which I think also took Fisher plows I can take some pictures of. The meyers is off and the Western is on a scout. I do not know if the Western is orginal or not but I think it is.

Rich

Rich

9. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

What other kind of frame is stronger then a box frame? (Without going to tubing or hydroformed) Doesn't everyone who is trying to strengthen their frame on a project end up boxing theirs in? Just curious what you meant by this.

Rich

10. jeff rotella

A box frame is strong, The issue is the wall thickness where you attach. A Scout frame is less than 1/8 inch iirc. Most C channel frames are about twice as thick. If you bolt or weld to a small area it can tear away. A small amount of rust on an a thin wall frame can really weaken it
    When you mount the plow it needs to be reinforced properly. Most plow frames made for a Scout will have a large contact area on the frame to spread the stress. Usually along the bottom of the frame. It is not a good idea to weld the plow frame to the truck frame. Bolting it allows a slight movement to absorb shock. In the worst case it is better to have a bolt shear off than rip your frame apart. If you do weld it, use large gussets.
    Snow plowing is tough on a vehicle. It seems that no matter how carefull you are, sooner or later you will hit something HARD. Hitting a manhole ,curb or even a frozen snow bank is like hitting a brick wall. Where the plow is attached takes the whole blow.If your Scout has weak body or motor mounts that is another concern.
    Scouts are great plow trucks, I have plowed snow with them for 40+ years. I also have seen many plows break the truck they are attached to.

11. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

I agree with Jeff on the bracing / gussets. I know that the PO that did mine put some 3/4" x 1" flat stock in a X brace configuration between the bottom of the plow mount to the frame under the doors with bolted connections. That is what takes 90% of all of the stress of my plowing down a dirt road and distributes the loading.

Pictures of that are on the above mentioned thread.

The upper half of the mount is welded to the frame and they added a lot of steel. So it is definitely more sturdy than your standard mount. I have yet to find a broken or cracked weld; which I would have expected to find after plowing in extreme cold temperatures.

Snow up hither is dryer, more like a fine powder, but there are times where its harder than a brick wall. I'll take a few small passes to move it in small chunks instead of one hard push. Even still, I have not had any plow failure problems.

12. WiredRight

WiredRight Farmall Cub

Since we are on the subject again I guess I'll just tag along with this thread.

I too am about to deal with the weight issue of the plow upfront. I have a friend who has a pair of stock Coil springs from a full size Bronco. I was wondering if you could also post pics of the airbag/spring setup you have.

I was wondering if there were any safety issues in building perches and putting them up front in the middle of my leaf springs. I'm not a suspension guy, but thought they might work as helper springs??

I actually got to plow once with it last year and it performed well for a 2WD. I had no issues with our North Carolina Blizzard of 3 inches :)

13. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

You know with the Meyer's frames we had. I don't recall my dad ever breaking a mount or bending anything. We hit some snow banks pretty hard though. Now granted this was a factory style mount from meyers and it mounted up underneath so it was a little more braced then some of the Fisher styles I've seen. Plus the steel is at least 3/8 inch thick. Maybe we just didn't beat them hard enough but he never did break one. Not that I'm against bracing just saying it might not be needed in normal use applications if built like the factory mounts. Now the one thing I was considering was sleeving the holes next time I put one on.

Oh and Jeff, I kind of thought that was were you were going was the thickness of the frame but I wasn't sure that is why I had asked thanks for clarifying what you were talking about. I would have like to see a thicker frame on them but I have yet to see one fail from normal use or even when I hit that tree once at around 20-35 miles an hour. Granted that was over 14 years ago.

Rich

14. jeff rotella

In all the years I have plowed I have never broken a plow or a frame except for when I rear-ended a car. However being in the snow sales and repair business I have seen my share of unbelievable stuff.

15. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

You sell and repair snow? Lol couldn't resist.

I screwed up the top mount and plow pump when I hit a tree. Dead Center. didn't have the plow on was just driving and youthful lack of experience, wet leaves, too much throttle, going around a bend whammo right into a tree. I was wondering do you know if you can still get the parts for the old meyers pumps. I tried pricing new pumps and sheesh outrageous. The only pump I have available to me physical nearby right now is a engine driven pump with the cable actuated valves. (All my other stuff is about 200 miles south of you and about 400 miles south west of me.) I really would rather use something electric instead especially for the control valves. Maybe I can find a solenoid block for routing the fluid to the various rams and run the engine mounted pump.

ON a side note I really had to laugh the other day. There sat a Jeep Liberty with a plow on it. Here I am in Maine, now granted we don't get a huge amount of snow near the shore like buffalo or colorado or something but I'd saw we can get some decent amount. I laugh enough when I used to watch jeep wranglers trying to push snow and they'd end up driving up it instead what do they expect that liberty to do? Beg it to move? sometimes you just need the weight of a real truck.

Rich

16. jeff rotella

We are out of stock now ,but in a few weeks I can give you a heck of a deal

17. raleighrugger

raleighrugger Farmall Cub

Don't know if this helps anyone out, but I'm going to go look at a Scout II locally that apparently has a snow plow on it. The guy is trying to sell the Scout outright, but may be up for parting it out. If anyone is interested, I'll snap some pics of the snow plow setup and post it.

18. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

Re: Snow plow on scout II - PICS NOT Dialup Friendly...

Here are the pics of air bags and the front helper springs. Pics start on the passenger side and then go to the drivers. Also is a shot of the plow attachment to the frame on the passenger side. Appears to be a sleeved configuration. Plow is a Northman 2200 Series, 8' steel.

The airbags are airlift company kit number 60776 (no coil springs included in kit) with the coils from having the following dimensions: 5/16” diameter rod, 6-5/8” relaxed length, 4-11/16” diameter top, 3-13/16” diameter bottom. I have them pressurized to 15-20 psi with them both connected to a fill nipple located in the grill by the passenger headlight.

The helper springs are Make Waves 1500lb helper springs (part number 18921) available from Shucks & the like attached to the front half of the springs as the air bag is behind the axle.

I have a D44 that I'm rebuilding to put in next summer with rebuilt spring packs following Bill USN-1's writeup. Mainly for the additional strength of the axle when plowing.

I have thought of adding coil springs to my rear pack and have a set of 1-1/4T humvee springs that I won as part of an auction. I've seen it done on F150's right over the axle. I've got some additional details on how to do that, but you want it over the axle and not on the spring pack from what I've read.

HTH

Bill

Attached Files:

19. raleighrugger

raleighrugger Farmall Cub

I went and checked out a Scout that was listed on Craigslist locally the other day. Turns out it was an 800 with a plow on it. The body was pretty rusted out, as it was set up as a plow truck, so the owner was going to pull off whatever good parts he could for his 800. He wasn't sure if he was going to keep the plow setup, since it doesn't snow too much down here in Raleigh, NC. I took some pics and told him that I'd post it and see if anyone was interested in it.

The plow is in pretty good shape with the exception of usual minor surface rust and one broken spring. I assume it could be easily replaced. All the hydraulics are in good working order, or so I was told, and it was originally installed by a professional snow plow shop/dealer. It still had the companies tag on the door by the IH VIN plate.

The current owner doesn't have an idea of what he'd want for it, but was willing to take offers if someone really wanted it.

Attached Files:

20. ktsno1

ktsno1 Binder Driver

Re: Snow plow on scout II - PICS NOT Dialup Friendly...

i have a set of those air bags in the rear of my 800. I have know idea y. I think one of the previous owners did some real hauling.

I am considering taking them off bc I think they really hinder my flex and stiffins the ride too much. I have never seen them on a front axle b4... I guess they would work for plowing.