Snow Plow for Scout II

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by jamieh72, Dec 21, 2011.

1. jamieh72

jamieh72 Farmall Cub

I have a 76 Diesel ScoutII Traveller, thinking of putting a snow plow on it. Anyone have pictures or diagrams to build one or better yet anyone got one for sale?

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

craigslist-then cut-weld to fit ( fabricate what you can find)

3. stroker3

stroker3 Binder Driver

IHWILD is working on a set of push plate diagrams. They might be of some help if you plan to build something yourself. If not place a add and/or (as mentioned)keep an eye on the usual web sites. Modify one from another make or wait, Scout plow rigs pop up every so often.

4. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

1st. I'm not sure I would plow with a diesel scout.

2nd. If I did I would look into an Agricover HD Sport Plow. No hyds or elecrtical connections.

You would need to fab a 2" hitch for the front. Or you could use it from the rear.

I had one for my ATV and loved it! I sold my ATV and got one for my F-150. Now I just need some snow! LOL!

5. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

Take a look at the following threads:

Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3

Remember, search is your friend. There are a couple other threads on snowplows as well, but I know the above ones have a lot of pictures and other information concerning bracing, pumps, etc...

Good luck with the project.

6. Super Scout

Super Scout Farmall Cub

I would keep an eye on the classifieds and Clist. One is bound to pop eventually. I made a wanted ad and had a plow lined up in a little over a week. Western 7'6". There was a guy in Greensburg that plow with a diesel scout for years. No issue that I knew of.

7. Afireinside2285

Afireinside2285 High Wheeler

Why not a diesel scout will plow just fine,they are under powered for daily driving but plowing would be fine. Or is there some other reason that i'm unaware of?

8. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

I was thinking more of a power issue. But as long as you have a 2 speed transfer case in LOW range you should be fine in most conditions.

9. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If I ever get the Meyer I picked up this summer put on my plow truck, I'll have a Western cable operated 6.5' power angle setup with the stock Scout II mounts (with the cutout for the spring sway bar) up for sale. I'm in Northern IN, about 70 miles East of Chicago. If you might be interested shoot me a PM so I have it handy for when I get the Meyer up and running and the Western yanked off.

10. jamieh72

jamieh72 Farmall Cub

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and help. I have a couple of leads already. I wasn't planning on using the scout for commercial plowing, just a few driveways.Once again thanks for all the info. I will try to keep everyone up to date on the progress.

11. hardware

hardware Farmall Cub

watch your drive shafts have a 74 scout2 with a 6' myers plow hydro lift manual angle twisted my rear shaft in half plowing some heavy wet snow late in the season here in co. a few years back

12. stroker3

stroker3 Binder Driver

Just plow accordingly in wet stuff. Take on too much and things will break. Keep the plow raised slightly then scrape on the second pass and/or take smaller bites. It's much better overall to take more time and make more passes than you would in light powder.

Had the 7 1/2 ft fisher on the scout, plowed 80 driveways, tough on the front springs but never had a shaft problem using that method.

13. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

We plowed for years with a Meyer on our 1980 SD33T Scout. The diesel did great...but the 4 speed sucked...working the clutch, throttle, brake, plow lift switch, heater control, moving the rear view mirror back after every "hit" into the snow pile, etc. A little less leg and hand work would have been welcomed after a few hours.

14. Brian Rognon

Brian Rognon Farmall Cub

I run a 6' meyers hydro power angle on my SII. I found a new set of dual toggle switch controls that are perfect for me. They have super fancy controls for them now, which I don't care for.

I found the plow blade and "mounting carton" from craigslist. It was originally mounted on a baby scout and was used by the University of Boulder to plow walk ways. It was manual angle and ran off a power steering pump for lift. I then sourced a Meyere 57H pump from a fella who rebuilt them on ebay for less than half of new then built a custom mount for the SII. I can put it on in 10-15 minutes and pull it off in 5-10 minutes. Two grade 8 bolts through the bumper mount holes and two pins for the lower mounts. The best part is the mounts on the scout don't hang any lower than the steering arm and never get in the way when offroad.

Google is your friend. I searched pictures of plow mounts for hours before I came up with my mount. Also try www.plowsite.com they have TONS of good guys for every brand of plow out there. Very similar to this site.

Good luck!

15. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

How deep was that wet snow? My dad plowed for years with a Scout Traveler and never did he twisted any drive shafts. My mom was the only one to bust a u-joint on a driveshaft. We were using 6 to 7 foot (have a variety) meyers plows and multiple feet snow falls. He even plowed into a drift taller then the truck. I pulled him out of that one. Good reason to have multiple trucks. :punk:

Just curious. I've never been to colorado and this was pennsylvania we were in.

Rich

16. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions for making the computer file showing the dimensions as I measure this plow mounts?

Rich

17. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

I've heard google sketchup works fairly well; although I have yet to try it myself. There may be some other free 2d drafting programs that can be utilized as well. You will probably want to have a pdf printer available to make it a more universal document.

I personally have access to ACAD; so I usually draft it up there and then print it to PDF before uploading for others use.

HTH

Bill

18. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler