Smoking engine! Help.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 2Dog-log, Aug 17, 2020.

1. 2Dog-log

2Dog-log Farmall Cub

I have a 'rebuilt' 345 in my 73 Travelall. It always smokes black out the tail pipe. Initial start up immediately smokes and never stops. smokes more under throttle. I have ran it for extended periods and nothing changes. Compression test yielded 110-115 on all cylinders dry. Wet numbers were about 5 psi more. The heads are gorgeous clean on the inside like it was recently rebuilt.

Any ideas?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]upload images

2. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Your carb is messed up and is super freaking rich.

Darrel likes this.
  3. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

x2. Oil makes blue smoke not black.

winchested likes this.
  4. 2Dog-log

2Dog-log Farmall Cub

5. 2Dog-log

2Dog-log Farmall Cub

Could bad fuel cause Black smoke.

6. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Does "Environmentally Friendly" synthetic oil [not from "Dinosaurs"] make Green smoke?

7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What is "bad fuel"? Gasoline mixed with diesel, too much methanol, or what? So long as it vaporizes decently and fires and has about the correct fuel/air ratio, it should burn cleanly enough to not create noticeable smoke.
    Very old gasoline can have acids and gums formed by both oxidation and polymerization, the first which can lead to corrosion, the second more likely to close jets and other small passageways, usually reducing the fuel/air ratio or clogging the carburetor completely. Really old gas stored with exposure to air and moisture, such as found in fuel tanks of ancient stationary gas engines, can stink powerfully badly; a unique odor one never forgets.

gillis51 likes this.
  8. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

What's the full story there. Did a shop rebuild, install, adjust, and tune?

Rainbows and unicorns. Tell me a synthetic that doesn't contain any fossil fuels??

9. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

The carb needs to be tuned to the engine -- your spark plugs will tell the tale whether it's running too rich or not.

10. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

Has the float level been re set after the carb was refreshed? What sparkplug, gap and heat range? Looks like may be the wrong plugs! Is the carb a 2bbl or a 4bbl? Do you know what # main jets are in the carb?

11. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

thats an auto light 303 plug. your plugs are correct. your nice holley carb is jetted to rich. remove your float bowl and see what your jets are.... post the jet size
    also is your choke stuck ON ? butterfly must be open once engine is warm

12. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

303 plugs are not the best choice. Double checking the carb tuning is wise, but I also suggest switching to NGK 3332 plugs once carb health has been doubly verified.

13. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Yup. Pretty much all oils come from the ground, whether it be crude oil or natural gas. Oil from natural gas partially combusts it and makes "synthesis gas" which is reformed into longer chain hydrocarbons. Penzoil sells a product like that. I've used it and it seems good and its supposed to be super clean. Honestly, the reason I selected the stuff from natural gas was that it was both on sale at walmart, and there was a promotion where they gave you a dollar a gallon discount on gasoline for each jug of oil you bought (and my car took two bottles) , which was pretty cool, considering gas had dropped to a bit over two dollars a gallon at the time. Seemed to be as good of quality as any other oil. But I didnt have an oil analysis done.

But it all comes out of the ground. Since its made from carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and water, I guess you could make syn gas from biomass and make non fossil oil but I dont know offhand of anyone thats doing that for motor oil. I remember reading about a company that was doing a similar process to turn leavings from a Tyson turkey processing plant into diesel though. At the time they were having problems because their entire business model required that tyson give them the turkey leavings for free, but then there was a shift in the markets for animal feed or something and the industry started selling that waste instead of paying to dispose of it and it wasnt cost effective. Still, it makes you wonder if theres a wHy to get all that organic waste that we throw into the garbage into a processing plant where ot could be converted into something useful. Not just motor oil or fuel oil but feedstocks for plastics and chemical manufacturing. Ive allways felt that eventually, wed settle on three bins, glass, metals and everything else. Glass is easily recycled, similarly metal is easily recycled. And the everything else gets pulverized, dried and burned into syn gas. That pales energy for the process and maybe some leftover to sell and something useful like diesel.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Darrel likes this.