Silver/Black/"BG" Diamond engine ID and information

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by John Donnelly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Your manifold is the same as everyone else's nothing special there. As far as the tilt valve upgrade, that is a benefit, not a detractor, and your engine can't be less than 240 cubic inches, because to my knowledge, they never offered the 220 in a tilt valve configuration, and the IH in the block casting confirms that it is either a 240 or a 264. If you have a 2barrel intake on your engine, odds are good it is a 264.

Another giveaway on the 264 is the presence of a 2 piece bellhousing and motor plate, rather than the usual one piece bellhousing that makes removing a clutch such a "fun" experience.

-John

2. John Donnelly

Nothing has to be changed. It is a bolt-on performance upgrade. There may be minor linkage issues to be worked out, but it is easily done.

-John

3. PHuscher

PHuscher Farmall Cub

The difference in your manifold, is that when they began installing the BD engines in the "A" line, the engines were placed at a 5-degree tilt up. The intake manifold was changed to keep the carburetor and runners level. I'd guess it will still work fine, and I have one on a BD 240 in an S-120 that works. John, according to the service manual, the 220's also went to tilt-valve, beginning with engine number 456764. 240's with engine 456787, and 264's with engine 457308. With the tilt-valve they used a domed piston with two valve recesses. There was a short run before that which used a step-head piston but the straight valves (SD-220 #261932 and up, and SD-240 #118159 and up). Prior to that I believe they were flat-top.

4. IHWillys

IHWillys Farmall Cub

My BD 264 tilt-valve has no valve recesses.

Ken

5. John Donnelly

My BG-241 doesn't have valve recesses either.

-John

6. alfscout

alfscout Farmall Cub

A club member has a BG-241 engine in a Metro. He wants to know what "BG" stands for and if there are any specs on the internet.

7. John Donnelly

"BG" stands for "Blue Grey"... it was a final sales ploy for the SD and BD engine series that IHC had built for the light and medium truck line.

It is essentially a BD engine with a funny blue grey paint job. The only paint I have found that is remotely close to the original color is 1966 and up Pontiac engine silver blue.

If you have the specs for a BD240 with tilt valve, you have all the specs for the "BG" engine, as they are the same.

-John

8. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

Here's nice page that extolls the virtues of the tilt valve design, the combustion chamber cutaway is particularly informative if you've never been inside one of these engines:

[​IMG]

9. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

10. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

What was the largest displacement tilt valve motor offered?
    Were tilt valve motors used in the medium line trucks?
    I found a low distributor 1965 6 cylinder motor in a local junk yard with the high valve cover. I have to go back and remove some parts to get to where I can see the pad (compressor). The door tag says BG265 is this posssible?
    Is this the largest tilt valve motor built?
    I already snagged the T-34 5 speed and Rockwell T-233 transfer case.

:)

11. Uselessdog01

Uselessdog01 Farmall Cub

Re: Silver/Black/"BG" Diamond Engines

John, When I worked for IH I found that over the span of these engines there were at least four different oil filter setups. The original one on the Silver Diamond, a cartridge type bypass used on BD at least through the A series, a full flow cartridge type used until the early 70's in medium duty and a spin off used on the late BG in light duty and some 1600 Loadstars. There is a note in the service manuals for the factory branches that they do not interchange in the first three cases. The full flow cartridge is the same filter found on the V8 engines in the Loadstar and is interchangeable with the spin-on used in the 1971-2 pickup. The large crankshaft pulley in your picture is for use with an alternator which has to spin faster than a generator. You have to have the low bracket to use that pulley. Somebody asked about power steering. There was a bracket to mount a pump on the late BG's in the pickups and Travelalls. There is a lot of confusion over what BD stands for since IH designated two different engines with the same letters and they even got it backward once in the Master Service Manuals. The "modern" high rocker cover, short distributor engine is the Silver Diamond>Blue Diamond>BG. The Black Diamond is older, has a shallower rocker cover only slightly taller than the Red Diamond and like the Red Diamond has a long shaft distributor. It was made as a 269 and 308. I believe there was once a smaller version as well, but I never encountered one. When I worked for IH the 308 was still common. Most people I know call the modern engine the wrong color, but the other engine had at least the rocker painted black. I usually just use the letters rather than nit-pik the trivia. Thanks.

12. carnuck

carnuck Farmall Cub

Will the BG241 in the '68 Travelall I'm working on fit in place of most of the 6 cyls back to '49? I'm trying to find a new home for this great running motor as I am swapping out to V8. I put a new fuel pump and starter on it so it can be seen running. (took a short vid of it running too)

13. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

Yes, starting with the 1950 L models - see if you can find a good home for it!

14. msujones

msujones Farmall Cub

Is the 1949 SD 220 engine identical to the 1953 SD 220 engine?

15. Bruce A. Frank

Bruce A. Frank Farmall Cub

Long time later to pick up this thread, but I am in the process of installing power steering and power brakes. I have owned this vehicle before (same model, different serial number) and I have to say that with the large heavy carcass radials the previous owner has on this, I cannot turn the steering wheel without pulling my arms out of the sockets. I have to be moving at about 5 mph before the effort goes down.

I have two sets of tires and rims. I installed the bias ply M&S lug tires on it a few day ago and the effort to turn the steering wheel is literally 1/10 the energy. My previous Travelall was long before aggressive off road radials were available. My wife at the time was only 98 lbs and 5'2" tall. She had no problems with the steering with the heavy M&S bias ply tires. This vehicle with the wide foot print radials, she cannot back it out of the driveway because of the impossible steering effort.

While I am at it, I am also adding dual-boost power brakes.

16. hoot17

hoot17 Farmall Cub

Is this motor still for sale? If not does anyone know where there is a SD 220 Silver Diamond for sale for 1954 Pickup?

17. carnuck

carnuck Farmall Cub

I've been trying. At the low price I have it up for, I'm surprised no-one snagged it. I'd make it cheaper, but the new starter, Delco dist with Pertronix and new fuel pump weren't free! (or even cheap)

It is. I didn't get notice of the post for some reason, ergo the late reply.

18. DeeJayNOLA

DeeJayNOLA Farmall Cub

Soooooooo what's a good swap out for the old SD 220 motor? I may need a new one since the rebuild cost is so high. I've heard that the Ford Windsor 351 fits inside the engine bay of my 53 Travel All fairly easily but don't know how true that is. Looking to get 65-70 mph on the hwy. Already have a 8.8 by 3.73 rear end on her from a late 8-'s ford Explorer. A little help here gents (and ladies). :cornfused:

19. WillsIH

WillsIH Farmall Cub

There is some great info here about the diamond engines, but I noticed one thing missing. Can anyone share the outer dimensions of their engine? I've been searching for this info and have not found anything yet.

20. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Wills, I'm wondering the same thing. I have a possible lead on a BD 308, and don't know if it is close enough in size to be a simple bolt-in to replace my SD240, or whether I'd be getting myself into a huge project. Or even a 345?

David