Silver/Black/"BG" Diamond engine ID and information

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by John Donnelly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Silver/Black/"BG" Diamond Engines

This is the overhead valve engine found in most IH pickups from late 1949 to 1959.

[​IMG]

The above pic is of the first generation "Silver Diamond" engine and shows some queues when trying to visually spot your engine on your truck. Namely the low-mount distributor, and the reinforced tall valve cover.

What it won't tell you is the displacement. The early straight-valve engines also had "SILVER DIAMOND" cast into the engine block inside a set of the early "Triple Diamond" logo at the back end of the drivers side of the engine block. As the picture below shows.

[​IMG]

Below shows the above engine installed, with some of it's accessories.

[​IMG]

Note the engine mounting. Specifically the front motor mount, which attaches under the water pump. I don't know when IHC went to "dogbone" mounting, but have seen this under the water pump mounting as late as 1956 in some trucks. Also note the early oil filter canister. The one shown should be a "Marvel" brand filter assembly, and it uses the "sock-type" oil filter common to just about all manufacturers at the time. The filters are still available new, and easily sourced from NAPA, Baldwin, Fleetguard, and just about any auto parts chain or tractor supply.

Later on in the 50's (some time around 1955/56) International altered the Silver Diamond engine and came out with the "Black Diamond" engine. This motor essentially is the same as far as the lower-end of the motor goes, in fact, the intake and exhaust manifolds are even swappable. What is different is the cylinder head and oil filter setup.

This was the debut of the "Tilt-Valve" engine. Which IHC created to improve valve retention and decrease heat-related failures of thier engines from this family. Below is a picture of a Black Diamond engine.

[​IMG]

This picture just barely shows the change in width of the valve cover to accomidate the larger rocker arm assembly used in the tilt-valve design, but also shows the earlier engine mounting system still being used.

Below you will see this same engine before installtion in the frame.

[​IMG]

Note the oil filter assembly difference from the earlier pictures of the Silver Diamond engine. What is now used is another easily sourced canister oil filter that is of full-flow design. The canister isn't installed in this picture, but you can see the mounting header for it. Also note the fuel pump block-off plate. This is an SBC item :rolleyes: that can be used if you choose not to run a mechanical fuel pump.

Also note that the Triple Diamond logo is no longer cast into the engine block. Instead, up at the front of the engine, you can see the famous "Man on the Tractor" IH logo we all know and love :D This is between the fuel pump block-off plate, and the timing cover.

If you have other pictures to share, or information to add, please post to this thread.

Keep on Binderin',

John

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
    brian knox likes this.
  2. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

Re: BD-264 pics

I have the BD-264 out of my wife's A-100 Travelall so that I can install a transmission and do 'cosmetics' on the engine bay. Here it is with a fresh bath, fogged with gloss black engine enamel. I know black on the exhaust manifold is probably not technically correct, but I was too lazy to disassemble it :rolleyes: Besides, I *like* the smell of burning paint :eek:

Attached Files:

3. Vern0n

Vern0n Farmall Cub

Is that a 2 barrel intake? What's the story on that? What carb did it use?

4. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

Yes, available on the -264, -265 . Carb = Holley 2100

I have this setup on my S-140

5. Jim Grammer

Here is a BD240 I just acquired. The interesting feature is the updraft carb manifold setup. I presume this is from something like a combine, I don't expect that tractor applications would be stamped 'BD240' or have a truck type bellhousing. Sales literature I have for stationary(power unit) applications shows a normal truck type downdraft carb.

Intake manifold part # is 356245 R1
    Exhaust manifold part # is 356251 R1

It is a tilt valve, that and the serial # date it in the very late '50's to very early '60's.

Attached Files:

6. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The SD, BD, BG engines were used in boats, airport tugs, and other applications. I would wager a guess and say that the engine you have there came out of a forklift.

But it is just a guess. :D

-John

7. Jim Grammer

Including Pettibone all-terrain forklifts :D One of which I recently got to check out. Neat installation. Truck style manifolds and downdraft carb. 4 speed that looked to be a T-98, and a torque converter. The converter housing was mounted to the engine block with what appeared to be -get this- an SAE pattern adapter :)

8. Randy Mc

Randy Mc Farmall Cub

I'm presently restoring a 1951 L-112 and it has the SD 220 engine. I bought a 1950 L-110 that I'm using for parts. The engine in it does not have the Silver Diamond emblem on the left side of the engine. It does have the IH on the left front of the engine. The oil pan does say 220.

The oil filter on the 1951 has a spin off lid and canister. The 1950 has the oil filter canister upside down with drain plug on the bottom of the canister.

Are both of these engines 220 SD?

9. Jim Grammer

Not neccessarily. AFAIK all of the oil pans are embossed '220'. Positive ID is the stamping on the block pad.

10. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

I concur - my BD-240 and BD-264 each have the '220' oil pans.

11. Randy Mc

Randy Mc Farmall Cub

Where is the block pad located on the engine block?

12. ragtopkid

ragtopkid Binder Driver

Passenger side front below the cylinder head or check the FAQ's

13. Randy Mc

Randy Mc Farmall Cub

Thanks, will see what I've got.

14. Sven

Sven Farmall Cub

Here are some pictures of my 1960 B160s BD264. Sorry about the cobwebs and dirt but they were taken before I did anything to it.

Regards,
    Sven

Attached Files:

15. Vern0n

Vern0n Farmall Cub

Does anybody know the difference between the "BD" engines and the "BG"? I'm rebuilding a 1968 BG 241. I needed pistons and only could find BD pistons. They are the same bore and stroke, but the tops are different. Other then that, is there a difference between these engines?

16. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Yes, the head and the oil filter and the block markings are different as noted above in this post.

17. Randy Mc

Randy Mc Farmall Cub

I have started to put my 51 L-112 back together, have 220 SD engine in place and drive train all connected.

I want to know if I can add power steering to this, and if so what would work the best.

I feel that now would be the best time as I have inner fenders on, but have not put fenders on. Still waiting to see what I can find as the front grille assy. is to far beyond my repair capabilities.

18. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Randy: The manual steering is not strenuous at all except when stopped. I have never felt the need for power assist nor have I seen one installed. But I'd bet someone on this forum has done it and has pictures....

19. Jack Koeneman

Jack Koeneman Farmall Cub

Im new to this stuff but Im trying . This is what I know! I have an L-150 parade truck and the cab tag calls for an SD-220 eng in a 1951 truck. Here is the rub--. The eng is a tilt valve- there is no tripple diamond on the left rear of the block- there is the IH stamped on the left front of the block- there is no markings on the smooth part of the right front of the eng where youall say the markings should be-the intake manifold is different than most in that the arms ( for lack of better term) are canted so that the forward arm is slanted downward to #1 cyl and the rearward arm is slanted upward to the #6 cyl. Most of the intake manifolds I have seen are perfectly horizontal with the engine and mine does not interchainge as the pilot studs are different even tho the gaskets appear to be the same. Please --- what do I have here???Jack K

20. snowjob

snowjob Farmall Cub

other questions, has anyone put the 2 barrel manifold from a BD264 on a BD240? Does it fit? or do you have to change the head also? Thanks