Sick diesel

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by kevin hueser, Nov 15, 2002.

1. kevin hueser

kevin hueser Farmall Cub

Hey guys, Its been a while since I've been here to the site. I got a problem with old smokey. any sugestions??? I love old smokey, she's taken me to guatemala and back, all around the US and always home but I think she's Ill. I had a roadtrip up to southern wisconsin yesterday. About 1000 mile round trip. I had"thought" I might have heard a nock recently but never could be sure. its kinda hard on a diesel if its faint to say yes or no. ayway, I noticed after a few hours of driving there was a little more vibration than normal. its real....hmmm well I guess "from the gut sounding/feeling" like its at the basic core of the motor where it comes from. I noticed little things like mirrors rattling more, more thumping in the shifters, in the floors and such. real subtle though. After a while I was able to hear it pretty clear. Not that it got worse or louder, I was just able to filter out the air noise, the road noise, the whole power unit together noise, the hum of the exhaust and could hear the "nock. Its definately there. the guys at Scout Connection didn't seem to hear it when they walked out.( I had to stop in there ya know). Anyway, I had no choice but to keep driving her the other 500 miles to get back home. I stopped in and bought a couple quarts of Lucas Oil stabilizer. Drained a couple quarts and added it. It did quiet down but is still there. My motor has only 82k on it, the old girl is rust free and clean as a pin. I always take care of it and monitor it closely with the pyrometer or egt and oil temp and pressure. I never thought I would have a lower end problem if I took care of her. Now I'm damn pissed off, I mean it really. I love this truck and take care of it, never abused it and man I don't care about other stuff, new clutch, filters, injectors but the reason I bought it was it was super clean, original, had low miles and SHOULD have lasted a LONG damn time!!!! Sorry. I'm really bummed about this. Its my only transportation. thats how much I trusted her !!! Sooo. I'm hoping that since the rod knock is so slight that maybe I could drop the pan and change out the bad bearing IF it hasn't beaten the crap out of the crank or rod. Thats alot to ask for but I'm hoping!!! The rest of the motor is fine, I need to break out my "stethescope "and find out which one is the culprit first. What are the odds its not totally FUBARed and I won't have to pull the crank? I know it probably wishful thinking but it is "only a small knock " that no one else seems to hear. NO, I'm not imagining it. Its there, just not bad enought yet for people who don't know her real well to hear it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks..Kev

2. Eddie

Eddie High Wheeler

U-Joint?

Fits the symptoms...we hope...

3. David Lang

David Lang High Wheeler

I just had the same thing (I put it down to uneven wear on the tires) that suddenly got worse. it _really_ sounded like it was from the transmission/t-case area but after rebuilding the t-case the noise was still there. it turned out to be a problem in the rear diff (in my case I have two teeth broken off the pinion)

to help locate the problem, try removing the rear driveshaft and drive in 4-HI and see if the noise is still there. if it is it's somewhere between the rear output of the t-case and the rear wheels. if it doesn't go away it's in the engine to t-case area.

one other thing to check is your tire wear. if you have a shock (or wheel bearing) go out you can get very uneven wear on your tires that if they have a large block tread can wear the blocks unevenly and cause additional vibration and road noise.

4. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Quick! EVERYONE PANIC!

Kevin,

I agree with Eddie and David.

I doubt you are having lower end issues with your engine. The Scout Connection guys are pretty savvy, if they didn't hear it, it probably isn't there.

It is most likely a powertrain problem of some type, either a U-joint, or transmission related problem.

A "thump" in the engine can also be something we Diesel-types refer to as "fuel-knock". Fuel knock can sometimes be alleviated by getting some fuel conditioner, and running about 2 tankfuls through the engine. This causes the injectors to clear out, and not dribble, getting rid of the knock.

I agree, vibrations are hard to trace with a Diesel, and I am not doubting your ears or your "seat-of-the-pants" detector. What I AM doubting is that it is in the engine.

When SD33's knock, they explode.

Yours didn't explode, so I doubt it's the engine. :D

Time to study your powertrain, don't be afraid to take the front axle apart, have your tires checked for a deformation in the carcass, and take off your differential covers and check the gears.

Let's for once not assume we have an engine problem.

Keep on Dieselin',

John

5. kevin hueser

kevin hueser Farmall Cub

:confused: I hope you guys are right! Man do I!!! LOL I'd love to be wrong on this....for sure. OK, well This is the 33t motor . I run fuel cleaner and lube with every tank. Had the injectors replace 18k ago. Now that ya mention it. There is this click thing up front right when I turn slowly. sounds like a ball joint???? Don't think thats it. Its different , occasional, not constant and I can feel and hear where it comes from. Its a pop!!!. I did have a new clutch /PP/thro out brg put in a few weeks ago. worked right after 3 tries. (another story, bad pressure plate) Hmmm Also ...news flash::: engine stethescope is pretty useless on Diesel. Yes its true. Way too much "rattlin" go on in there,Should have known. Alrighty then, I'll look other places, and I'll keep my fingers crossed. ...Kev

6. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

First, you might get that lucas oil stabilizer out of that motor. You know those displays they have at the parts stores? A friend of mine worked at one and they let it sit outside one night (this was a few years ago)... he said it was really lumpy and gelled up until it got warmed up again, I don't like the sound of that in a motor.... besides, doesn't it just raise the viscosity? like putting 50W oil in as opposed to 30W?

I don't really know a lot about the lucus stuff, but lumpy is something I don't like in my oils.

Second: I have a pop like that too, never have had a chance to track it down, need to get someone else to turn the wheel back and forth one day so I can though! I don't like pops coming from my steering gear...

Let us know what developes!

7. Bill Mahoney

Bill Mahoney Farmall Cub

Pull the oil filter and check it for metal. I bet it's clean.

8. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

Rattlin, rolling, rusting and dieselin

When I started driving mine again every day I noticed a vibration at highway speed, didn't notice it when going slow. More like a shimmy and steady, here for about 2 seconds, gone for 2 seconds. I found nothing loose. I had repalced the brakes, rotors, bearings and didn't feel it in the wheel so knew it wasn't the front. The tires on the rear had grass packed in the bead of the tires and I'm thinking this had to be the problem, that or broken belt in the tire. I never felt it before I put those tires on and since changing the tires a couple weeks ago I haven't felt it again. I wouldn't instantly think it's the motor.

You know those displays have 80% motor oil and only 20% Lucas, how do you know that the Lucas made it lumpy?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2002
  9. Indyskischool

Indyskischool Farmall Cub

This post nearly 20 years old! I’ve got the same symptoms! What happened? Lol