Self Sabotage 1970 800A

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Wombat, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is the old vs. new bushings. Reminds me of the way I feel before and after a good weekend. 482C76B7-BEAB-4A44-8214-B77F12F304FC.jpeg

I didn’t expect the change in ride to be so dramatic! It’s still loud but my teeth no longer feel like they are going to rattle out of my head. Also, my doors are no longer aligned but I’m happy to know the body is sitting the way it should. I want to pull the doors and rust protect the inside and redo the windows anyway. I guess that can move up the to-do list.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

After a full day of wrenching I got it buttoned up just in time for the weather to turn nice and a monster swell to roll into the East Coast. So my scout made her first visit to the beach and we surfed our faces off! Happy Surfgiving
    ED9C2D09-F0A5-4B2E-984A-1FE1F01D873A.jpeg

3. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I have working head lights!

I experienced one of those moments of complete joy for solving the problem coupled with deep shame for being so stupid for not seeing the solution earlier.

After braking lots of things while trying to fix them throughout my life I have developed a rule for myself: If something requires brute strength there is a chance you are doing it wrong. Stop and think.

With regards to the headlights: I fussed with the switch, sanded terminals, checked wires, reviewed the wiring diagram, all with no luck. The sun goes down early this time of year and I have been stuck driving in the dark on two occasions, so I needed a solution. I was going to install a temporary jumper to provide headlights while I set the switch aside to be diagnosed over the weekend.

Because I believed the switch was shot anyway I allowed myself to be a little rough with it. I would like to state at this point that nowhere in any documentation that I reviewed does it explicitly say that you needed to pull the knob out to turn on the lights! That was it, that was the big mystery. All I needed to do was pull the knob instead of turn the knob. I know I tried this a few times but it was especially crusty and required one hell of a pull to get it unstuck the first time. If I had just known how the switch was supposed to operate I would have had working lights months ago!

I feel like an idiot.

4. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Well my friend, welcome to the IH club. I've felt that way many times and I'm sure that will be the case, for me, for years to come! For example, the first time (some 28 years ago) I tried removing the DS rims only to discover left-hand lug nuts.... At least you fest up - I would probably blame congress.

Now, if your horn does not work, remember that one needs to scratch one's armpit whilst burping. If these operations are not done simultaneously, your horn will never work. Now, this operation is explicitly stated! :tt2:

5. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

How long ago did you order the bushings? BCB website says sold out for the last 2 or 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wombat likes this.
  6. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I ordered them in August. After a month I called thinking maybe my order didn’t go through. The dude working there was super nice, he apologized for the delay but explained to me the bushings are custom and they were either trying a new manufacturer and/or a new material (I can’t remember exactly) and didn’t have any in stock. Seemed like they were in some kind of transition with this product so maybe they are only ordering small batches to work out any kinks. If the website doesn’t let you order them go ahead and give them a call, they might let you purchase them on back order or something.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  7. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

Will give a call this week...thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I still have a lag when accelerating and a minor but constant backfire/popping. I also have an exhaust leak and because the intake and exhaust manifolds share the same gasket on the inline 6 I suspect I have an intake leak as well.

I’ve removed the intake and exhaust manifolds and found the gasket to be pretty chewed up. The intake looks pretty good but the exhaust manifold is cracked in 5 places, some of which a PO filled with JB weld. It’s more than I want to weld, one of the cracks runs across a sealing surface.
    A2010447-3BF4-47F3-9E13-4A81DC94DCDA.jpeg
    They are both black from the exhaust leak.
    E3E665A3-2808-4F11-8963-0C657AF15AFD.jpeg
    See the JB weld, there was more on the other side.
    CF2D9F55-3A73-47F4-8156-897C198BFDBD.jpeg
    Multiple cracks along the face.

So I’m looking for a 70’s era exhaust manifold, if you know where I can find one cheap, let me know. While I’m here I’m curious if there is a better solution for replacing it with a later model or aftermarket manifold/headers.

Either way the truck isn’t running until I get replacement parts. :(

9. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Not a great way to start out the new year. I'm sure someone like Jerry who had, originally I believe, a 6 popper, will chime in. Or others. Doubt your issue is insurmountable.

Wombat likes this.
  10. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

Those engines are a dime a dozen. Just finding one in this day and age could take a little work. I would start at the local junk yard. So many trucks, jeeps and cars from the 60's to the 70's had those 6 cyl motors. Just look for old AMCs. I would also look at C-list and other classifieds.

Kenneth Barber, scout2000 and Wombat like this.
  11. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

They can be had just over $100 brand new by diff manufactures.

Wombat likes this.
  12. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

I was up at Coonrods this afternoon and I inquired about a manifold. Turns out they very recently sold the only one they had to someone in Miami. I hope that was to you? They did tell me that they have a complete engine with all the ancillaries but they don't want to part that out.

Wombat likes this.
  13. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Wow! thanks for looking out. No, I'm not the one who purchased it but I have found someone here on BP who has an exhaust manifold I'm going to buy. I've heard about Coonrods but never spoken with the guy. I should give him a call sometime. I'm curious to learn what he knows about the i6 scouts.

Thanks again!

oneof3k likes this.
  14. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Phil has dismantled and sold Scout and Scout II parts for decades (I've been going there for almost 30 years) so I'm sure he knows quite a bit. However, I know when he worked at IH, he only worked on the Scout II. But he is one hell of a nice guy and loves to speak anything Scout!

Wombat and 1EyedTanker like this.