Self Sabotage 1970 800A

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Wombat, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is a photo of my beautiful and not so ratty dog. One of her favorite pass times has become sitting in the sun while I curse at my truck.
    IMG_2627.jpg

2. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Once I was happy with the welds and the new fittings on the tanks I followed the same process used for the Jerry can but instead of preserving the patina I used a wire wheel to remove the old paint and rust on the outside then used a metal primer then black rustolium. Finally the bottom got a rubberized coating. IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    Here is a shot of the inside. The tank sealer looked pretty nice.
    IMG_2585.jpg
    A lesson here is not to let the POR15 drain out of a threaded hole. It has a metal filler and does a pretty good job of filling in threads. I had to gouge the sealer out of the threads with a small flat head screwdriver and clean it up with a wire brush.
    IMG_2597.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  3. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I sealed my tanks on the on the Friday prior to Memorial Day thinking I would be able to drive the truck over the long holiday weekend. I learned that POR15 tank sealer requires 96 hours to cure which meant that my truck would have to continue to sit in the garage for yet another week. I decided to address some of the issues I had with the corroborator. It was leaking from all the places indicated in the picture. Armed with a few new gaskets and some fuel resistant thread sealer I went to work.
    IMG_2427.jpg

4. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is a quick dry fit of the new deck filler, it looks awesome!
    IMG_2553.jpg
    I cut the flange off the old filler neck and used it as a gasket for the new gas cap.
    IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    I’m not wild about how close the new bolt holes must be to the filler neck through hole but if you pay attention when you punch these holes you should be ok. I deliberately used a smaller screw (8-32) to reduce the hole size required.
    IMG_2643.jpg

5. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is the fuel hose I purchased. Don’t let the title fool you, flexible is a relative term. The hose has two steel coils that spiral the full length and this thing is stiff and expensive but it won’t get eaten away by fuel like that damn rubber filler neck that was in there before (it’s cool, I’m not bitter, I just think people should be punished for poor design).
    IMG_2594.jpg

6. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is the tank fuel hose/straws after it was wire brushed, blown out, and coated with POR15 tank sealer.
    IMG_2630.jpg
    I made a replacement gasket for it with a scrap of the new filler hose. It’s ugly but it works and it was best price: free.
    IMG_2629.jpg

7. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

After a week of sitting with the sealer I was able finally button up the tank.
    IMG_2636.jpg
    I did one last check prior to installing it by putting the water hose in and letting her rip.
    The tank started leaking immediately…

I stood there quietly in my driveway as a series of emotions poured through me like the water pouring through my tank. The tank that took nearly 3 weeks to prepare. What I would consider my first major effort to refurb this old truck appeared to be a failure.

Then out of the corner of my eye I noticed something, and the realization felt like a slap bringing me out of my self-loathing haze. I had forgotten to install the drain plug. I had deliberately set it aside to remind me to apply thread sealer.

Well after that little emotional roller coaster, everything fit nicely. I installed the passenger tank, filled her up with a few gallons of fresh gas and proceeded to drive the truck to a friend’s house for a celebratory beer. This is officially the furthest I have driven the truck to-date. All the aforementioned issues were resolved, and she ran pretty smooth.

oneof3k likes this.
  8. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I still need to clean out the tank compartments, weld the tears in the sheet metal, and re-paint them.

I also need to fix/replace the fuel sending units. I think the ones I have are beyond repair but to buy a drop-in replacements costs nearly $60/each. Can anyone provide advice or link to a thread that shows how to replace these a little cheaper. Can I just purchase something more typical and cannibalize the parts?

9. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Do these original fuel filler brackets have any value?
    IMG_2593.jpg
    Also, I love the Scout badge but I have no interest in these ALL WHEEL DRIVE badges. I would trade two ALL WHEEL DRIVE badges for a hood emblem if anyone is interested.
    IMG_2591.jpg

10. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Just a side note for those who haven't used them before: Most of the raw materials I purchase are from McMaster Carr, they are a little more expensive but often get parts to you next day. Furthermore, I will gladly pay extra for parts simply because their website is incredibly intuitive, well organized and easy to navigate. As an engineer I deal with lots of part vendors and suppliers of all flavors and McMaster has done it the right way.

You listening Anything Scout and IH Parts
    America?

I’m just playing, I love you guys, can I have a t-shirt? But seriously your websites could use some updating.

Kenneth Barber and oneof3k like this.
  11. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Its great to watch you work and move forward, thanks for sharing.

Note on the emblems for Scout 80/800. Pretty much all the emblems are being reproduced and are available for around $50 a pop each EXCEPT for the 800 hood emblem and the 800 fender "V" emblems (V for V8).

Keep looking long enough, and something will turn up.

On a similar note, and well beyond my budget, a NOS, new-in-box hood emblem popped up on eBay here. Here is a BP discussion thread on it for your review.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/nos-scout-800-ih-hood-emblem.139931/

Wombat likes this.
  12. tx63conv

tx63conv Farmall Cub

Love your comments! Thanks for the write up. Keep up the good work

Wombat likes this.
  13. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

T
    Thanks dude!

14. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I could create a model of one using CAD software and find out how much it would cost to machine. If someone can supply a couple pictures of a hood emblem from the front, top, and a side, along with a measurement of height and width. The pin diameter would be useful too. Then I could make the solid model and anyone who wanted it could have it.

15. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Agreed. I've used McMaster Carr for decades back when I was still "working" for a living. And while they are somewhat pricey, they have everything in the universe and their shipping costs are about a tenth of what the light line dealers charge!

16. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Alex, you were right dude. The dripping was rotted filler hoses and after cleaning the tanks and blowing out the lines, she runs pretty good.

Jack H likes this.
  17. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Just a comment on the vent. When I vented my tank I used a II Much fuel vent (https://www.iimuch.com/collections/fuel-differential-vents/products/fuelvent2dm) . Ya i know, they're kind of expensive, but I had a horrible gas smell in my garage that pretty much completely went away after I installed it. I should say that I opted for the single tank between the frame rails, but that shouldn't really matter, although I would highly recommend it. It makes fueling SOOOOO much easier.
    -Jack

Wombat likes this.
  18. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I pulled the oil pan off again to try and figure out why it was leaking. I removed the rear bearing seal and sure enough I had installed the seal backwards. The seal is directional and acts like a wiper that pushes the oil back into the oil pan, unless you install it backwards then it acts like a pump and sprays oil all over your transmission. With that all buttoned up again the oil seems to want to stay inside my truck now. One less leak, F#*k yeah!

scout2000 likes this.
  19. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

AF5304C1-9035-4E3B-8F12-D0D212E5BC5A.jpeg While I had my oil pan off I noticed someone had written AMC 258 on the crank. This is strange because the scout 800 was only offered in a 232. Has someone replaced the 232 crank with a 258 crank or did someone replace the whole damn engine?

20. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

948BFB85-3737-4D87-9B3D-92B07DF3772F.jpeg This is the only identification I can find on the engine and it is stamped on both the 232 and the 258 block. In case you can’t read it: 3199962. Any ideas? How do I identify this engine?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018