Self Sabotage 1970 800A

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Wombat, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

That’s right I bought a scout and there goes the neighborhood!

So what did I get? A 1970 800A with an AMC 232 inline 6. It has the dana 44 in the rear and 27 up front, drum brakes all around, Scout II seats, new 31” tires, an MSD 6 electric ignition and that’s about it. It’s mostly stock (The PO had some welding skills and he built a custom tire hanger, seat supports, back seat, and mirrors).

For me the sickness started a long time ago. Unlike all the other little kids who wanted fast sexy cars I wanted something ugly and slow that could climb up one side of a tree and down the other. So here I am, a grown child and I finally purchased a Scout 800 and I am STOKED!

I must give it up for the PO of this truck, he was super cool, took good care of it and was sad to let it go but excited that it was beginning a whole new adventure. I received a pile of extra parts that he had been collecting to slowly build up the truck.

Long story short: I’ve been haunting this page for years, reading, learning, dreaming. After looking for a couple of years across the country I finally found something here in my home state of Florida that ran and was shockingly rust free so I jumped on it.

The paint is a rattle can job (this truck has been at least 3 colors, red was the original I think), most of the switches and nobs are missing, none of the lights work, the door latch doesn’t work from inside, which is fine because the door handles on the inside are both missing anyway, there is no weather stripping, there’s a dead rat inside the driver side door, the horn doesn’t work, both fuel tanks drip while being filled with gas, and it’s absolutely perfect.

I’ve owned the truck for a day so I’m sure there are a dozen other things I have yet to discover.

Ok, enough about my boring back story. Where to from here? There are so many amazing builds documented on this site, the fabrication skills of some of you are humbling. However, I want to build something simple, safe, and reliable that I can use as a regular driver. I plan on doing some mudding, some hunting, but mostly taking my surf board and dog to the beach a couple times a week (and maybe to work).

For now, I plan on keeping the inline 6 engine, it idles well, runs ok, and has a ton of aftermarket support. I have Scout II dana 44’s front and rear I plan to swap into the truck with disk brakes up front. I want to put in a roll cage and over the shoulder seat belts.

For my first question: What else should I do to build a more road worthy truck?

What upgrades are worth making to the inline 6 to improve reliability and performance?

Lastly, how do I post pictures?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Ha! Figured out how to post pictures! Take that! You might notice the dog in the driver seat.

Attached Files:

3. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Sorry for being a novice but I have two more questions for tonight:

As I mentioned the fuel tanks drip while filling them. I want to be clear, they don’t leak like they have a hole which would cause them to drain down to the location of the hole. They drip while being filled then stop dripping when the pump stops and the tanks remain full. Is the gas being forced out of a vent? How to I prevent this?

Also, the engine idles great and will idle for an hour no problem (I know this because I flushed the radiator a few times today and got something that resembled death out of the radiator) and it will drive happily down the road for about 2 miles then it starts to stutter and die. It will start right back up but needs to idle for a short period of time before it I will make any progress again. It seems like it’s not getting enough fuel. Where do I start diagnosing this issue? Could it be related to the dripping fuel tanks?

4. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Here is my pile of spare parts
    And the hodgepodge of random switches on my dash that mostly do nothing

Attached Files:

5. Josh800A

Josh800A Farmall Cub

I’d do a full tune up and go from there. I have the same motor and trans. Mine has points and runs great.
    I don’t think the fueling issue causes the stall. Fuel filter maybe?
    Enjoy!
    Josh

tim vaughan likes this.
  6. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

The drip issue is rotted fuel filler hoses. New ones are available from Light Line dealers. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

The driveability is clogged fuel lines. You need to pull and clean your tanks and clean the entire fuel delivery system. Ask me how I know...

7. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

wipers.jpg

Very nice.

Congratulations on your new Binder and welcome to Binder Planet.

I also have a white 1970 Scout 800a, you can check out the built thread link in my signature block if you are interested.

The PO set you up with a number of aftermarket gadgets, gauges, etc. Probably all good stuff. Engine compartment looks pretty clean.

I wanted to make one real comment, both for you, and the rest of the BP crew to comment on. Specifically regarding your wipers. I have reposted your relevant photo (above) for reference, hope that is OK.

Anyway, Scout 80's had front fold down windshields, and the wipers up top. I need to be careful with the 'R' word, as, in comparison to any vehicle from the big 3, any Binder is rare. Back on topic. When the 800's rolled around, for the vast majority of vehicles, the front windshield became fixed-in-place (i.e. did not fold down) and the wipers moved to the base of the windshield.

The fold down windshield on 800's became an uncommonly ordered option, but your picture (above) suggest that you might have this as an option on your vehicle.

Hoping you might consider sharing a few additional shots both of the external wipers, and of your dash. Do you have the big 'knobs' that unscrew so you can lay down your front windshield?

Again, welcome to BP !

8. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

In FL traffic is so bad upgrading to disc brakes is very important. There are more morons, hammerheads and otherwise idiots on the road in FL safety is of great importance. Think good seatbelts as well. If you want to go off road a 33" tire is a great size for a scout and will get you most places in FL you will want to go. (If there are anymore places in FL that have not been paved.) I would look at doing a SOA conversion with the scout II axles, cross over steering and maybe power steering. Check the gear ratios in the scout II axles. If you have say a 3:07 ratio a gear ratio change is in your future. I would be willing to bet your stock axles have at least 3:73 ratios.

scout2000 and Kenneth Barber like this.
  9. breadman bill

breadman bill Binder Driver

I don't think it's a fold down,I don't see the latches on the hood or top of the windshield frame. nor the hinge.

10. scout2000

Great comment regarding brakes. A Scout that can stop is a great thing.

Several life times ago, Verizon had sent me to Florida to build out a new data center, and I can attest, first hand to your comment. Don't think for a second, however, that Florida has a corner on that market.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  11. scout2000

Yea, you're right. Still, why are the wipers up to on a 1970 800a?

I did ask for some more pics. We will see how that plays out. Hopefully, that will tell the rest of the story.

12. MtnScout

MtnScout Farmall Cub

Great looking project. Part of me wonders why I bought a shell of a scout to start my build rather than a complete but oh well!

BTW that top looks like for an 80 too.

Wombat likes this.
  13. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

FL does not have lock on lousy drivers. However, all of the crap drivers seem to find their way to FL one way or another. This is why insurance is soooo expensive in FL.

14. scout2000

One of the odd things there was just people trying to "out slow" each other. I remember one weekend I was in FL driving my rental car down a not-so-busy street, but none-the-less, stuck behind some raisins. Caught a lucky break, a hole opened up in the traffic, and I "took off".

For a few seconds, I just felt like I was flying. Then it hit me, I better check my speed, don't want a speeding ticket, half the country away from home on the companies dime. Looked down at the dash, I was doing 40 MPH. Not too shortly after words, I came up on a speed limit sign. Also 40.

I almost feel silly telling the story. I'm not a globe trotter, but, spent 9 years serving in the military, followed by many years with different companies (temporarily) putting me in different places for projects. Seems to me every city I spend any time driving in, has its own unique driving flavor, pretty much all of it bad. My Florida time was spent in Tampa. Among other driving habits I observed there, the persistent issue of drivers "out slowing" each other, even when traffic conditions did not warrant it, is the item that stuck with me.

15. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Sorry for not updating yesterday, today will be a quick and dirty response but I wanted to thank everyone for the responses and I want to answer a couple quick questions. Later I will provide a full update with pictures and stories (I’ve had this truck for 1 weekend and there are already stories, what have I gotten into).

16. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Alex, I will get some filler hoses on order asap. The tanks definitely need to be pulled and cleaned, my fuel filters are full of red rust flakes. Is there a better set up for the long run than the standard filler hoses? Eventually I would like to vent the fumes through a carbon canister and I would like to prevent any fuel from spilling down the side of the tank. Does this require a differently vented tank / hose?

17. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Josh, thanks for the response. The fuel tanks and lines are definitely suspect.

You have a nice looking truck too! There doesn’t seem to be many 232's on this site and most people seem to swap them out. I assume we will receive some grief because they aren't international made engines but one major upside to having a common engine is the ability to get parts off the shelf instead of waiting a week for parts in the mail. Soooooo that’s cool.

I’ve been reading some jeep forums to get tips on the 232 but there are some unique features associated with it being integrated in the scout. I look forward to digging through your posts for any tips. I’ll also probably ping you for 232 specific questions (sorry).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  18. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Scout2000, thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to reading about your truck. I wouldn’t call my truck white, I think it’s supposed to be tan (Or fawn beige if your fancy like that). Either way, it’s just a mix of roll on and rattle can paint from PO’s.

You are welcome to re-post my pictures, especially if you have relevant questions or advice!

No, the windshield does not fold down, I asked the PO the same question when I saw the pictures on craigslist because like you said, these later year scouts can be a random mix of parts based on what the original owner order from the factory. The wipers are on the top because some PO purchased the electric upgrades for the top mounted wipers and just installed them on the top and patched the holes on the bottom.

More pictures to come.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

72soa, FL traffic is insane! All my local friends think I drive like an old man but when friends visit from out of town and they ride with me in FL traffic they think I drive like a maniac, so it’s all relative.

After driving around on drums this weekend, I can say I will need some disk brakes if expect this truck to survive.

20. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Jerry, funny story, we do have some slow drivers but that’s only part of the equation. Florida traffic is the worst combination of bad. We have lots of old people who are not in a hurry and leave their blinkers on all the time, lots of young people with money and hot cars who are in an awful damn hurry and never use their blinkers, lots of transplants who grew up driving someplace else who do strange things like use their blinkers correctly, and lastly a healthy heap of tourists who have no idea what’s going on, ever. This all equates to a Mad Max style interstate system.

Oh, and if it’s after 10:00 PM then half of the people on the roads are drunk and someone has an alligator in their car. I don’t know what it is about the damn alligators but once a month a story pops up that involves an alligator.