Second day, second question- Ignition dead

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Karen McCrocklin, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Karen McCrocklin

Karen McCrocklin Farmall Cub

Second question in two days on my new/old 1970 800. Got a quick and helpful answer to the first, now searching for answer for #2. I've looked around on old posts but can't find an answer that addresses the question completely.

My Scout was running great. It's in excellent condition except a couple of little things here and there. It drove fine on Thursday but on Friday I was trying to start it and it cranked over a few times but on the fourth crank it it went completely dead. When I turned the ignition switch it did nothing. This Scout has a dash ignition that looks one in the pic below.

After looking around and not seeing the problem I called my mechanic friend to come look. We went over pretty much everything. The battery is fine. He cleaned up all the wire splices from the PO. He was able to make a connection with a wire at the starter and it cranked. Nothing will make the headlights turn on so assuming that has to happen through the ignition.. After looking around he finally decided it was the actual ignition switch. I got a replacement of the same type, plugged it in and still nothing.

It was running great and doing everything exactly as it should until the fourth crank. Since the battery is new and the ignition switch is new and everything we can think of seems ok, what would you check next?

Attached Files:

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

The headlight wiring does not go through the ignition switch and its problem could be anywhere from just bad grounds at the individual headlights, to a bad contact at the bulkhead connector.... The only way to diagnose where is to use a test lamp or meter and check the circuit systematically.
    Without more details about the starting problem, we'd just be guessing but again, use a test lamp or meter to look for open circuits, high resistance, etc. starting with the 'control' circuit from the ignition switch. Do you understand how these systems are supposed to work? I assume you don't yet have a genuine IH repair manual (one is worth buying) but for now, you can use this online one to see how it originally came from the factory:
    http://www.binderblues.com/main/tech_imgs/scout800_late-production_schematic.gif

[​IMG]

3. KMcBig

KMcBig Farmall Cub

Perfect. Thanks! I do have the repair manual so I guess it's one by one tests. Woot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk