SD33 Oil Pressure Problem

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Andy Birenbaum, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Andy Birenbaum

Andy Birenbaum Farmall Cub

I got the gauges working on my recently purchased 1980 Scout with the diesel. The oil pressure showed very low at idle and about 20 psi max when revving. I did confirm this with a mechanical gauge. What should I look at first? Pull the oil pump and check for wear, then check the bearings? I haven’t changed the oil on it yet. If someone had too light of an oil in it would the pressure be low?

2. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I would change the oil before digging in the engine. Good ole Rotella 15-40 is your friend. No idea where or who still sells the filter for that turd but others are still running them so somebody still sells them. If you can find the spin on it saves a little on aggravation especially when the po shoved about 3 o rings in the canister top.

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Wix filters !

4. Andy Birenbaum

Andy Birenbaum Farmall Cub

I drained the oil tonight and at least a quart of anti freeze came out. Ugh. So I pulled the oil pan off and it looks like a liner is leaking. Then I went to clean the pan and there are a few chunks of metal in the pan. I can’t see where the came from yet. The piston skirts are in tact. I pulled a main bearing and it looks terrible. This thing actually ran great too!