Sd33 info

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mike hagans, Jun 22, 2018.

1. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

To add to what tinker said, there weren't many automotive applications for that engine in North America and what few there were came from Canada. Now industrial and marine applications are a different matter but yours obviously isn't a marine engine. If you really want to know more, I suggest you find one of the CJ-10A groups out there, to compare features, numbers, etc. The calibration numbers on the injection pumps would be telling as well if you could match them to a CJ-10A... or whatever. Hopefully you don't have an industrial engine. If you do, you will find the power range pretty limited. IIRC, it came attached to that transmission and it has a case with a mount for a transfer case adapter. If that's true, logic dictates it came from a CJ-10A. Those things and their parts somewhat flooded the surplus market some years back.

2. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

Two other items to consider; one the turbo pistons are different from from a NA Diesel the number of rings, the placement of the rings from the top of the piston and style of the top ring. Two, the turbo injection pump incorporates a aneroid to delay the amount of fuel until boost is sufficient to prevent unwanted smoke.

3. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Strictly speaking, it could be from endless applications. But given you found it in the US with a 727 attached, it came from a CJ10 airport tug.

Nissan paired these engines with their own medium duty truck transmissions and transfer cases for use in Patrols. Early on they were common in marine applications but marine engines usually turn the other way and thus have different cams (unless paired)

If you are keen on the International Harvester lineage of the SD33 for your project you might have to fudge a bit. Think of it as sorta like a crate engine for a vintage model.

4. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

It doesn't matter if it's not ih I just wanna be sure what it's out of for parts reasonand such as far as smoke I don't mind of it smoke infact I think the black smoke the cool part of a deisel in a rat rod