Sd33 info

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mike hagans, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Hello my name is Mike I just got what I believe is an sd33 non turbo that has a 727 bolted to it from what I can see it's very clean and seems to be complete I joined for info and appreciate anything that you guys/gals have to say im building a rat rod with this engine but to my questions what is the thing mounted to the rear of the altanator has 3 hoses going to it ? Also what is the wiper motor looking thing under the injection pump

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

The alternator is also used as a vacuum pump for the power brakes. The three hoses are oil supply and return an the vacuum hose. The two oils lines should be connected to the engine block. There is a forum father down that deal specifically with diesel stuff. Sorry I can’t help you further.

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Yes they are I assumed they were oil.line as the one looks like a drain and one is a high pressure hose thank you very much for the reply

4. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

I'm stumped. I suspect that you have a CJ10 airport tug motor, they have a different pump and accessories then what we are accustomed to. Our Diesel talk forum has been pretty quiet lately but its still one of the best sources of knowledge on this engine.
    -D

5. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Here is what I find odd there is nothing at all on the valve cover is there anywhere I could find numbers on it to see exactly what it is looking at an sd33 that's what it looks like has a 4x4 727 on it I just was looking to see what I can illimanate and to ensure that it will work in my rat rod is there a specific way to post photos as I will take some and maybe that will help with identifing what exactly I have

6. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

There is typically a tag on the side of the valve cover with some info printed on it, but the print fades or gets cleaned away easily with solvent. There serial number can be found as described here: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/sd33-turbo-conundrum.133072/#post-974036

you can link to an image uploaded to somewhere else on the web using the tag above where you type that looks like a landscape portrait. Better yet, you can visit the "Gallery" section of this website (formerly known as photopost) and upload photos, then include the links in this thread.

7. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Or when typing a reply you can choose the upload a file option down there next to the post reply button. Then you can choose the photo and then insert it into your reply as a thumbnail or full image.

8. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Here are some photos of it I'll check for numbers tonight

Attached Files:

9. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Also thank you guys for all the reply I appreciate all your help

10. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

I noticed that in your first picture there was a turbo off to the left. I would strongly advise you not to turbo it. They did not live long turboed even from the factory. I cannot help you with what is under the injection pump.

11. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

That's what I read if anything the main reason I'd like to turbo it is for looks I could care less about more power so long as I can go 70 down a free way I own a small Fab shop where I make custom pieces and build street rods in the evenings I'm looking to build this as a shop truck style rat rod as I sold my 1947 international rat when I had my first son 3 years ago

12. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

20150606_132440.jpg

Attached Files:

gump’93 likes this.
  13. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Very cool looking project. That does appear to me to be a tug motor (I have never actually seen one.) They are reputed to be slightly improved over the earlier models, with slightly more power and driveability. Carey Weber put one in his scout. The butterfly valve in the intake is part of some newer fuel metering system that supposedly makes them more drivable. As for adding the turbo, I recall reports or speculations that all the post 1980 SD33 blocks came with piston oil sprayers and other improvements designed for turbo. I am guessing that the turbo would not play well with that injection pump and intake system with the butterfly valve; But I have no idea how it works so its just a guess. SD33 Turbo motor injection pumps and intakes are pretty easy to come by though.
    -D

14. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

That looks like a CJ10A tug engine to me as well. I can roughly date the engines in the Scout era via the engine number, so if you post that I might be able to extrapolate... or at least confirm that it's a post-Scout-era engine.

The main downside to the turbo SD33Ts was the turbo outlet. It was very restrictive and when the engine was loaded heavily, high EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) was the result. That has a long term negative effect on durability for engines that are worked hard. There are fixes for the stock engines and when turbocharging a non-turbo engine, if care is taken, that issue can be avoided. The internal differences between a turbocharged vs non-turbocharged SD33 in the Scout era were oil cooled pistons (that's a biggie), a larger oil cooler (ditto) and an oil pump with a higher flow rate. Also, the compression ratio was dropped two points on the turbo engine. The crankshaft and bearings were updated as well, but it's my understanding that the later post-Scout-era bearings and crankshafts were all updated to turbo spec. Bear in mind these are four-main bearing engines. I have a CJ-10A repair manual here somewhere but can't find it. I found some specs in the operator's manual that I could find. I have a vague recollection that when the engine was turbocharged, they added piston oil cooling to NA and turbo alike, so if that's true, the CJ-10A tug engines should be so-equipped. If I find the manual later, I'll post what I find. Also, the tug engine had the lower 20.8:1 compression ratio.

So if the engine is not to be used in a heavy load environment (year, right, hauling loads in a rat truck ( : < ) you should be OK in short spurts with a turbo if the engine is in good condition, especially if we can prove the NA engines were indeed updated to turbo spec internally. Keep the boost low at stock 5-6 psi levels and and an external oil cooler (which can look cool anyway). Do what's necessary to free up that turbo outlet, whether you use a stock turbo setup or if you build one.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  15. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

I will definitely get the number off the block this evening thank you alot of good info like I said I have zero knowledge of these engine just truthfully thought it was cool.and would work good in a rat truck

16. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Here are more pics

Attached Files:

17. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Based on that engine number, I can say it's approximately 109,000 engines after the highest Nissan engine number I have found in a Scout, about 38,523, so it's a logical conclusion it's either a CJ-10A engine or something else.

18. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

What else could it be out of just curious and what does that mean good or no good

19. Mike hagans

Mike hagans Farmall Cub

Also I have a big block 727 from an old Mopar would I be better off using the whole trans from the car or tearing them both down and using the case and internals from the 4wd and tail shaft and output sfat from the car trans didn't know if there were different gears in trans or if it was just a plain 727 and also was unsure about the toqure converter being different for the deisel aposed to a big block Mopar engine thanks again everyone who's helped me figure out this much also still unsure what the electric motor below the injecaini pump is ???

20. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

The SD33T was used in the Nissan Patrol up to 1987 the weren't sold in the U.S. but your engine could have come from Canada, Australia or many other countries. The governor, oil filter, intake manifold and pistons would be newer design then the 1980 scout motor.