SD-33 Oil Filter Seal

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Joe S, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Anyone have a P/N and/or source for the beeg square-ring on the SD33 oil filter canister.

Making an adapter and don't want to buy a filter just to get the seal. The one I have is at least 20 years old and a little stiff.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

By "beeg", you mean big?​
    If you can accurately measure the ID, OD and thickness, you could probably find a "Quad Ring" (X-ring) which is a squarish version of an "O" ring that seals more easily to replace it with. Marco Rubber has size charts for all three types (O-, X-, and Square) here:
    Once you know the size, there should be some local distributor where you can get just one or two without the hassle of ordering and paying shipping too.

3. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

You've made me think about this and it didn't even hurt.

I'm not using a seal where the filter has the wide gasket on its base. Going metal to metal there. That was making using the original square ring on the outside a problem in trying to get enough squeeze on it to seal but not so much that the adapter didn't make contact where it needed to. The stock filter has a specified torque on the housing bolt with the internal spring that makes how much the square ring compresses a non-issue.

Using an o-ring solves that. There are standards for how much you want to squeeze an o-ring in a static sealing application.

Thanks!