Scout transfer case?

Discussion in 'Binder Boys Scout Parts' started by Scoutdrvr76, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Scoutdrvr76

Scoutdrvr76 Farmall Cub

I’m thinking of buying a 1977 international scout to take the place of my 76 I had to sell. My question is.. what would it cost to either rebuilt or replace the transfer case. Forward gears work but won’t go into reverse. I appreciate the help. Pete

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

That sounds like a transmission problem, not one with the TC. Is that what you actually meant to say?
    Not going into 4WD can be just a matter of needing to move the vehicle a bit so the front splines engage.

3. Scoutdrvr76

Scoutdrvr76 Farmall Cub

T
    Thanks I appreciate that. I guess it goes though the gears in forward but doesn’t go into reverse. Didn’t know if it was a problem with the trany or the transfer case??

4. Dana Strong

As always, the more details that are provided, the better the problem is understood. The question now is which transmission is it? I'd assume an automatic, since a manual would rarely have such a problem.
    Do you have a Line Set Ticket showing the components it was built with?

5. Scoutdrvr76

Scoutdrvr76 Farmall Cub

I do not have a line ticket. Yes it is an automatic. I’m debating buying this I just was curious on how much this would cost to fix. I’m not handy at all so I would even pay to fix it of a mechanic friend would help. Sorry can’t give you and more info. I appreciate your insight!!

6. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Depends on what's wrong and if the transmission needs to come out. If they need to replace just the reverse servo for an example and don't have to pull the trans then maybe $250. Complete rebuild from a quality shop with a decent warranty over $1000 minimum. If it needs a rebuild I would go with a nationwide chain so you can actually get warranty work done on the road. Here in Colorado we have Aamco's everywhere and for extra $$ you can get a lifetime warranty. On another note if it's been sitting for a year the oil pump needs to be primed.

7. Dana Strong

He means the pump on the engine, before it is started, so the camshaft bearings aren't damaged by running without oil. Good Point!

Darrel likes this.
  8. Scoutdrvr76

Scoutdrvr76 Farmall Cub

thanks that helps my decision. I appreciate it!!