Scout SSII Go Kart...

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by Mike Moore, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Info on these is scarce, but I was wondering what anyone out there may have. Anything is going to be a big help, as I just got my body home today, and plan to do a full restoration on it.

Following is all I know at this point.

I had seen an orange one in the late 90's at NAtionals, and John Glancy's blue one. In 2007 at the Nationals my son saw John's, and I decided I should have one. Who can resist?
    [​IMG]

I found one a little over a year ago, and finally got it home today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's rough around the edges, but it is one of them! The lights and wiring look legit, and the white paint is the original from what I can tell. I don't know if the lights are factory installed for sure, since the two scans of literature I have don't show them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, can anyone confirm/deny if the lights were born there, or added as a parade wow-factor? This Scout was supposedly a Shriner's parade kart in it's former life. I guess it's possible that they ordered 6 or 8 with the lights added, and the manufacturer did it for them. I dunno.

At this point, I plan to fill in the grill and lights, and notches where the bumpers came out through the body. I want to build it as closely as possible to what the blue one is, but mine will not be blue. I will make the decals to replicate all that are on the SSII's like John's, and those i the ads above. UNLESS someone can prove that these were made earlier than 1980, and lighting was optional, making these mods a legit thing.

I've found this site:
    http://www.jrcentral.com/index.html
    Which seems to know a lot about these type vehicles. When I contacted him about the Scouts, he seemed very interested to learn more about them, but had never heard of or seen any of them prior to my email.

Guys, any info you can give me will get us on the road soon, so it can be ME in a similar pic to this.
    [​IMG]

THANKS!

Dan Zimmerman likes this.
  2. Trukker

Trukker Farmall Cub

cute! Know where anymore are?

3. Roger Wonder

Roger Wonder Farmall Cub

Fantastic!! I'll take the next one after Trukker gets his.

You might contact Lynn Faeth at the Scout Connection, as I believe he has one. I am sure that he will help you out with your questions. Great find! I am extremely envious of you. :beer:

4. Bren B

Bren B Farmall Cub

That sure looks like the one that was kicking around on ebay for a while. Glad to see you got it. I know nothing about them, but I would say that you got the hardest part to find right there. Making the go-kart part of it might be tedious but well worth it.

5. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

6. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The only thing I know is that blue one was heavy putting in that window display,we had to remove the rollbar and tip it on its side.I know John can get you more pictures of it.
    Jeff

7. Richard Thrashe

Richard Thrashe Farmall Cub

Mike--- The headlights are a decal. The one you purchased had been electrified, motor and lights. It was sold back into the IH community by a vendor at the National Show, I believe 3 years ago. Showed up on ebay several times. The blue one in the display is owned by John Glancy. The one with the "large" child in it is mine. You will notice John's roll bar is behind the seat and mine is located at the rear behind the engine. It is reported there are only 5 known, but the one you own showed up , so how many more is there. Scout Connection restored the one they own including the decals. They might have some to sell. The Mini Scout was made by F.W. & Associates in Tempe Arizona. I have the original owner/parts manual and a letter from the company that bought out F.W. satating the production on the Scout began March 13, 1979 and ran thru the remainder of that year. One hundred twenty six (126) units were sold. I hope this info helps.
    Richard Thrasher

scout2000 likes this.
  8. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Mike, it appears yours is an 800. notice the 3 indented stripes in the hood and the front grill/headlight arrangement compared to the other scout II ones in the pictures. I think you should let me have it while you continue your search for a scout II one:yes:

9. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

it's the camra angle, it's the "raised cowl" type that the SSIIs have.

-Jon

10. Mike Moore

It is a SSII style, not an 800. I'd give it to you if it were an 800, Mark...not.:no: If production didn't start until March '79, I assume all of them had square lights as 1980 models. Gotta get to fillin' holes in mine.:)

Richard, could you/would you scan and post the paperwork that you have here on the board for us, please? I really want to gether everything we can dig up in this thread.

11. Mike Moore

And yes this is the one David Windom had on eBay a couple times. We struck a deal shortly after the last time it was on eBay, and my parents took an RV trip last week and picked it up for me while they were out.:D

12. Mike Moore

The orange one I saw at Nationals in '98 or '99 was sitting with Rich Johnson's two Scouts, so I assume it was his kart.

So, if there are six known to be out there, the current known owners are:
    1-John Glancy-SSS, Springfield, OH (Blue)
    2-Lynn Faeth-Scout Connection, Fort Madison, IA (Yellow)
    3-Mike Moore-Scoutco, Bridgewater, VA (White)
    4-Richard Thrasher, Halstead, KS (Blue)
    5-Rich Johnson, Freeport, IL (Orange)
    6-Dr. Todd Sommer, ??? (Blue)

That's all six "known"...I bet we chase some more out of hiding soon, though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

And you made it sound like you were being a good father and doing this for your son! I should have known better:no::D

Oh, BTW it looks like it is an 800, not a Scout II. I think you should make it look like a real Scout, not one of those follow up copies!:yes::tt2:

14. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Can't blame me for trying!:D

15. Rick Rockwell

Rick Rockwell Farmall Cub

At a Midwest convention several years ago, there were 3 of the carts. Blue, yellow, and orange. Since Johnson's was orange, Faeth's was blue or yellow. It's good that we didn't have any tornadoes or we could have lost 3/6ths of history.

16. Mike Moore

I'm on the phone with Lynn as I type this, and his is restored, painted yellow at the factory.:punk:

17. Mike Moore

Lynn said Todd Sommers has a blue one as well.:yes:

18. Richard Thrashe

Richard Thrashe Farmall Cub

Mike-- Am getting ready to leave in AM for RMIHR, will try to scan items and post when I return. Have never done that so I may need to yell help. I have seen all of the original 5 and was surprised to see yours for sale at the Nationals. Did not see it untill after David purchased it. I do not think a chassis will be hard to find. In the small town I live in there are 2 manufactured by the same company, both have the manufacture plate on the frame. One is a J**p, which there were probably many many made and the other is a F**d van given away as a door prize at the Tru-Value Hardware store, both have the same frame as mine. Check yard sales, swap meet, etc. When the fiberglass body is destroyed I do not think there is much value. Richard

19. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

Hi Mike ,
    Just yesterday I was in a Saab dealer and they had one . While it would be nice to make it original , I think it would be cool to bulid a chassis worthy of the Scout body. I don't think it would be that hard to modify an atv to fit. Another way is to use a Cub Cadet chassis. Did you see the awesome Pete/Rogers lowboy at Macungie or Baltimore ? While that guy obiously spent more than a real one costs, the pete was built out of a JD tractor with a yanmar engine.

20. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Does anyone know what the one went for on ebay
    Just curious