Scout II wiper motor upgrade/retrofit

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Justutt67, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

I thought I would post up my wiper motor solution in case someone else needs to do the same thing. Back story is that i rewired my Scout with a kwikwire kit and had also purchased a new headlamp switch and wiper/washer switch from kwikwire to go along with it. Everything went ok with the rewire but i noticed my wiper motor was sluggish on hi and low didn't really work at all. Regretfully I took the wiper motor to a local auto electric place to have it rebuilt (waste of $60) he got the motor running smoothly but after I got it home I noticed something wasn't right. I took the cover off the gear box and saw that the spring finger contact thingy's were worn out. Motor would run but wouldn't self park. Also I realized the black wire is hi speed and low is black and red together. Well the stock Scout wiper switch is what sends power to both wires at once the Kwikwire switch will only send power to one wire at a time (not compatible with Scout wiper motor). Knowing my motor wasn't gonna work unless i could find replacement contacts i spent hours trying to find a solution online. I found an old thread somewhere where a guy said he used a jeep wiper motor in place of his Scout one but didn't give any info other than that and I cant seam to find that thread again. Anyways here is what I did.

I purchased this wiper motor from Napa I believe its for an 84-01 Jeep Cherokee
    wiper1.JPG

It doesn't come with an arm to attach to the wiper arm linkages.
    wiper2.JPG

The 3 mounting holes line up perfectly with the Scout II wiper motor bracket. you will have to get 3- 6mm 1.0 bolts and 1- 6mm 1.0 nut though cause these baby's are metric.
    wiper3.JPG

I took the Scout linkage arm off the Scout motor by grinding the little button off opposite the shaft and punching the shaft out. To my surprise it was star shaped. This is actually helpful when modifying it to fit the jeep shaft cause it has a relatively flat top and bottom side so you just have to round out the sides a little. go slowly and test fit often until it fits. I used a die grinder to start and fine tuned with a small round and small triangle shaped file. here is the end result.

wiper4.JPG

The Jeep wiper motor is smaller than the Scout one but the gear box is larger so it doesn't line up with all three holes when bolting back onto the windshield frame. The upper right hole is the only one that lines up so you will have to ream out the upper left hole and drill a new lower hole so that you can still use all three bolts. •EDIT: you DON’T need to drill new holes or ream out old holes in the mount bracket! I wasn’t paying enough attention when installing and thought the motor was hitting the underside of the windshield frame and that’s why it wasn’t lining up. Turns out I was wrong. I simply had the 90 degree bend of the bracket on the wrong side of the lower mount hole. Once I saw that it bolted right in in the factory holes. Also you will need to grind down the motor arm stud and nut slightly to clear the arm that goes to the first wiper. I have circled in red both the 90 degree bend in the bracket and the stud that I am talking about. I hope this makes sense.
    1D52FD10-4496-4B01-8779-BD06B874A5CF.jpeg

All that's left is wiring! You wont be able to use your stock scout switch with this upgrade because it functions differently. The Jeep wiper motor is a 5 wire setup instead of 3. It has a Black, Red, Tan, Green, and Blue wire coming out of it. Black is ground (this motor doesn't ground through the body) Red is Hi speed Tan is Low speed Green is Park constant and Blue is the wire that will connect to the tan wire after switch has been shut off through a relay. Get a standard 5 terminal relay that has both an 87 and an 87a terminal. Connect Black wire on motor to ground i just ran a wire to the mount bracket as you can see in the pics. Connect Red wire to the Hi speed wire from the wiper switch. Connect the Tan wire from the motor to terminal 30 on the relay. Connect Blue motor wire to terminal 87a on relay. Connect Green wire from the motor to a +12v ignition switched source (I am using the stock Scout II green park wire from the stock Scout 3 terminal connector for old motor). Now you have to connect the low speed wire from the wiper switch to both terminals 86 and 87 of the relay and terminal 85 goes to ground as usual. Here is a bad schematic that i drew up to show what i did. My wiper switch has H,L,P,B, and W terminals. High, Low, Battery, and Washer are used Park is done in the relay so nothing is connected to the P terminal on my switch.
    wiper6.JPG
    wiper7.JPG

So when you turn on the switch it energizes the relay and takes power away from the Blue wire (87a normally closed) and sends power to the Tan wire via terminals 87 and 30 not sure why or how but the relay stays energized even when you switch to the hi setting. I saw this online and its confirmed. when you shut off the switch the power goes back to the Blue wire and back feeds to the Tan wire (internally in the motor) and puts the motor into park position. If the Blue wire has power at same time as low or hi speed wire it will short out which is why the relay is necessary. Hope this helps someone and I will post a video of it working soon. I bench tested all of this before I installed and it works!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    virtualpj, jtorre4272 and tahoedonner like this.
  2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Great perseverance. I know this issue has been dogging you for awhile. How much was the Jeep motor? I wonder how this motor and relay combination would work with a 70's thru early 90's era Ford Peek-a-Bro dial in dash wiper switch with delay function? I have such a switch out of a roughly 1990 FS Bronco connected to my SII motor. Everything functions, but Hi and Low speed positions are reversed in that you go from P to H to L when turning CW rather than P to L to H as normal. Not a big deal, really for my inexpensive addition of delay function. Just curious if the Jeep motor and Ford switch would work together even better or perhaps not at all.

3. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Hmm not sure about the Ford switch that would take a bit more research. The Jeep motor was around $65 if I remember correctly. There is a $30 core charge too since it's a reman motor so could be $95. I'm debating on returning my scout motor for the core. It's a different motor and seams a little dishonest. I'm real glad I stuck with it cause I was gonna have to go get another used Scout motor and Scout switch that could crap out again soon. This way I have an off the shelf part that I can get at any parts store. I took a video of it working but photobucket won't let me upload it for some reason.

4. vought

vought Farmall Cub

I'd really love to see the pictures here. I'm about done with my Scout wiper motor and $300 people want for a compaible wiper switch. I'd be happy to put your instructions and the pix together in a PDF if you want. Message me if you're interested or if you just want to share the pictures!

5. Curlysanchez

Curlysanchez Farmall Cub

A little late here but could you repost the pictures? I’m working on doing this upgrade as well
    Thanks!

6. Jeff Bade

Jeff Bade Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

FYI always use the 1 of three options for uploading and hosting pictures on this site.
    Outside companies charge you if you want to share photos on sites.

7. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

(Just quoting Justin here. Improves the chance he'll see it quickly and respond.)

8. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

There you go! Sorry guys photobucket really screwed things up for me.

Curlysanchez and Darrel like this.
  9. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

Thanks for adding in the pix! Cherokees are plentiful at the junkyards--I'll have to grab a wiper motor next time I'm at a yard and start building up one of these. My oem wiper works but not great and certainly not worth rebuilding/replacing.

10. Curlysanchez

Curlysanchez Farmall Cub

Thank you!

11. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

No problem. Hopefully it all makes sense. If you guys have any questions about anything I will do my best to help you out.

12. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't know what happened to Photobucket. It sucks now. Really slow, stupid pop-ups every couple of seconds, can't always share even when images are set to "public", etc.

13. BigBamaScoutii

BigBamaScoutii Farmall Cub

Nice. Perfect timing to as I’m about to upgrade my wipers

14. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Great write up! Just to clarify for us simpletons will the factory scout II wiper switch work with this motor?
    Thanks...

15. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

This is one of the few sites that won’t upload pictures from my new iPad, I suppose they’re too high resolution. I either have to use the old iPad or host them.

16. Jeff Bade

Jeff Bade Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Ed,
    There are three options for picture hosting.. "Upload File" when you are posting a thread and then the Gallery and Media links on the top menu.
    Does it happen with all three or just 1 of them? I have the size limit very high so I don't think it is a resolution thing but let me know what you are doing and maybe the size and I can try and simulate and get to the bottom of it.

17. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

I’ve only tried to upload into a thread. Maybe I need to find the file size of what I’m uploading?

18. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

I always email the pictures to myself. You can choose a size that way. I’ve had trouble in the past with original iPhone pics being massive. They were 5-9 mb per pic.

Big Ed likes this.
  19. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

I’ll try it.

20. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

No it will not work with the IH wiper switch. I bought a wiper switch with washer function from KWIKWIRE to use with this wiper motor.
    http://kwikwire.com/dual-wiper-motor-switch/

Brandon A. likes this.