Scout II vs Jeep JL towing

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mark Aycock, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Mallen, some people don't know you need to downshift on the backside. The tow ratings they have for some of these trucks are more for advertising, rather than real work capability, IMO. Flat ground and good conditions. Start throwing in elevation, grades and all sorts of things we have out here in the west, and real world tow capacity goes down in a hurry.

2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

I knew a guy with one of those little Mazda mini trucks from the 80s. His engine blew (bad rod bearing) and they told him it was from the stress he put on the engine from staying off the brakes and downshifting to slow down rather than standing on the brakes all day and wearing down the linings. They SAID the little 4 bangers can't handle that like big V8s can. I dont know whether its true or not, and in fact Ive always wondered if its BS but I've not had the balls to test it out either.

3. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

It does seem crazy that 1500s now are hitting 13K lbs and 3500s are at 35K lbs. They certainly have the power to do it though. Even the smaller V8s can tow 9-10K lbs up grades at 55-60 mph.

4. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Main reason is most all manufactures rated their own vehicles how ever they wanted too using internal testing. Also in the 70's max speed was 55 everywhere. Alot different now having to merge into traffic at 70+.

Now all manufactures pretty much use a standard test to rate everything. The jeep could be derated per Fiat-chrysler which has more to do with liability than if it can actually do it. Someone always sues no mater what.

Issue with halff tons is the ratings are for flatbed towing not RV. Throw a 13k RV behind a half ton and you'll see real quick you made a mistake. The HD's are different. They have 1000ft/lbs now and larger brakes and axles then ever before. Main issue is the only rigs rated for the 35k plus are reg cab 2wd. Alot of people don't realize when they buy the crew cab 4x4 its less rated and are overloaded.

stroker3 likes this.
  5. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I have a 2019 f250 crewcab4x4 diesel,I can tow I believe 16000 pound gooseneck with just me in the truck,put 3 people in and that drops to 10,000.Most people dont understand how this works,they buy a truck that salesman states with tow 21,000 pounds ( 2 wheel drive standard cab) and try it,the truck will pull it,but not very nice to drive.

stroker3 likes this.
  6. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

All the manufacturers have comprehensive towing guides, flat bed, RV, frontal area, but nobody reads them. I know Chevy is now putting that info on decals in the door jams as well. Not sure if Ford or Dodge are doing it.