Scout II speaker locations

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Perdido, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

While the body is off for painting I want to decide on speaker location. The doors and door cards already have holes from the PO and I also have the 2 vent holes available since I won’t be using them as vents. I’ve seen speakers mounted on the cargo bed sides just ahead of the rear seats, but I’m not too sure about that location since it’s so close to the people sitting there. Where have y’all located your speakers?
    Thanks, Perdido

2. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Stock in the dash for mine.

JJ in TN

3. NMACD

NMACD Farmall Cub

My 79 has the stock locations in the back and then I made plates and mounted them in the vent holes. Sound is good no complaints from passengers in the back.

4. Adam704

Adam704 Farmall Cub

I have ones in the door and then I made speaker boxes for 6x9's to sit wedged between roll bar. You can see how far they stick out which you may be able to modify, however I didn't plan very well ahead and just made them. I can easily take them out if I want to have the rear seat folded up.
    20190524_125458.jpg 20191022_115915.jpg

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  5. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Why arent you using the vents as vents? how are you going to seal that off?

6. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

Thanks guys, I’m going to use those plastic enclosures and flush mount the speakers wherever they end up. My son and DIL want a nice sound system vs what I put in the Jeep. I’ll let y’all know what we do.
    Thanks again, Perdido

7. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

I’m installing a Vintage Air system with in dash and floor vents and well as defrost...it’s a combination AC/heat unit with the biggest blower they have. That said I’m guessing they won’t need the vents.
    Thanks, Perdido

8. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Im thinking of the fresh air vents in the kickpanels. :)

9. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

Those are the ones in referring to. It originally had a nonfunctional vent on the drivers side and a blanking plate on the passenger side.
    Perdido

10. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

I have functioning vents in both area's one of the ways to get cool air to your feet with no A/C I cant wait till you install the AC. Been looking at those systems for a while.

Perdido likes this.
  11. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

You can go back through my build thread. I did 6.5s in the kick panels. But unfortunately even amped, the sound is not very good. If you do go for it buy some high end component speakers with good directional tweeters.

That's if you like your music real crisp and clear.

Otherwise I put 2 6x9s where the original ashtrays went in the back and 2 more 6.5s in the soundbar.

Perdido likes this.
  12. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I think a sound bar type speaker on the dash would work well. Some day I’ll find one and try it.

13. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

I have a small subwoofer speaker in the center console of my 97 Lexas LX450. The regular Toyota Land Cruisers of the same body style did not have them. To me it makes a huge difference in the sound/feel. Speakers need enclosures to sound best as Bose knows all too well. Placing a 4.5” - 6” mini sub in the center console would make a huge difference IMHO.

Perdido and RinTX like this.
  14. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

No offense but each to his own. I don't care for that "Boom, Boom, Boom..." ( I'm past the teeny-bopper stage) noise while I'm driving. My '80 Scout CVI had them on each side in front of the back seat. Problem was that dirt and cold air (I live in Montana) came in from that area. I removed them and blocked the holes. I didn't the the idea of wiring around the hinge area of the doors so I got a set of 6 inchers and mounted them on the outside of each bucket seat. I have another Scout with 5 inchers mounted to the pedestal on the front of the seats. Works good, no wires to get tangled.

15. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

On my first Scout I went with components. Midranges in the lower door panels and tweeters right below the wing window (a-pillars would have been my first choice). For rear speakers I used 6.5s in the cargo wall in front of the rear seat. Large subwoofer box in the back. Sound was amazing. I was worried about the tweeter location, but that turned out to be a non-issue. Rear speakers in the cargo wall isn't a problem; dial them in with amp gain and fader. Being able to pull them for rust prevention maintenance (i.e. fluid film) is a nice bonus. Enclosures are a must of course. On my current Scout I will use the same layout except the subwoofer will go into the cargo wall as well. Not sure where I'll put the 2 amps. Maybe under the front seats again. For door speakers instead of going through the hinges drill holes in the panels and use grommets and wire loom. Electrical tape and zip ties to keep the wires where you want them.

Perdido likes this.
  16. Ride5C2

Ride5C2 Farmall Cub

For the footwells, I went with Polk DB 652's using the vent areas, they fit perfectly.

Rears went with Polk DB 692 6x9's with holes cut directly over the two arm rest screw holes.

and found a perfect fit Sub. The powered Fosgate P300 'T' (truck-version) fits right behind the wheel well and has quick disconnect power & audio.

It all sounds great IMO.

Attached Files:

Perdido likes this.
  17. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Nice clean installation. I don’t have AC - I need those foot fresh air vents.