Scout II Sliding window question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BigRigg, Nov 9, 2017.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Howdy Fellas,
    I know the sliding side windows are normally located on the outside of the rest of the side glass. However, in looking at these, it seems that they would be suited better if they were located inside the rest of the window. The slide they sit in is made of felt, and it seems keeping that out of the weather would be a good thing.

A person could swap passenger and driver side housings to accomplish this. Right now, I have my rear sliders all torn down to remove the window tint. So, now would be a perfect time to relocate the sliding window, if there is a benefit to it...

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Howdy back.
    "these"? Did you mean to include a picture?

DOH! Never mind my question. I read your statement a few times. Makes sense now. You just mean the standard slide-opening side windows.

3. Patrick Morris

Hmm. Rain water could get in if the overlap section is facing "forward" vs. toward the back?

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

yep, good call. I can see how that could happen. time to do an experiment!

5. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hey, what can I say? I went to school in the mountains.:1eye: Sentence structure was never my strong suit!

6. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Josh, I dont recommend what you are proposing for the reasons Patrick suggested. Rainwater will certainly be a problem. The seal for the area between the two windows is a pile type identical to the insulation strips used on modern double hung windows. It's not a good seal to begin with. If you search for an old post of mine, I explained the process I used to fully restore the windows. Reanodizing, new felt, etc. Sourcing the insulation components was very difficult. I had to get the felt U channel from the UK. NOTHING will work from C.L. Laurence.

At speed, the wind and rain will likely drive itself through that seal in copious amounts. I think you will regret it.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hi Joe, I was hoping you'd post up. I saw the reconstruction of your side windows, and thought about it when posting this. I agree with you both. I studied the window a little closer, and can totally see how water could get in.

My felts are in really great shape, so fortunately for me, I won't have to source them like you did. I was actually very amazed at how supple the rubber is, and how the window guides have held up.

I appreciate the feed back, gents. :beer:Onward and upward.

8. Patrick Morris

Your sentence structure is perfect. My mind was just partly occupied by other things as was I was reading it. :)