Scout II Ignition Switch Replacement

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Lefty, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Lefty

Lefty Farmall Cub

Scout II Ignition Lock Replacement

I know this topic has been covered relentlessly but I just went through the swap and felt compelled to add two comments. In my online search I came across a fantastic photo collection that I wanted to post. I'm sure you've all seen it but I found it incredibly helpful.

One comment I want to make that I feel is not too well covered is the actual "act" of removing the ignition lock cylinder from the column. Countless online forum comments tell you to depress a "tab" under the bolt hole located at approximately the 2 o'clock position on the column (photo DSCN0672 & DSCN0671 in the link below). What isn't abundantly clear in many of the forums is that this "tab" is actually a small piece of the steering column plate that needs to be physically punched through. Same concept as soda can but you don't have a handy lever to push open. I used a small blade screwdriver and hit it with my palm to detach it and push it in. I was then able to use the same screwdriver to push in the switch release to slide the ignition cylinder lock out. Hope this helps as it took me about 2 hours to figure out!

The other comment which curiously isn't mentioned too often is that most steering wheel pullers do not come with bolts thin enough to fit the steering wheel pull holes. You will need to get two 1/4" x 28 thread bolts to pull the wheel.

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~marka/ImageGallery/IgnitionReplacement

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Good stuff! Thank you.

3. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

You did not replace the ignition switch, that is on the top side of the steering column under the dash. What you replaced was the ignition lock cylinder.

The flash in the hole to access the release tab on the lock cylinder may or may not be there, sometimes the mold didn't leak any metal through there to form that thin piece or someone may have been in there already, but if it is present it does make you think that is not the right spot.

4. Christian

Christian Farmall Cub

5. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

-TYVM for the link to Tom M's informative site. When you get some time to surf, you'll find plenty of useful info there. Big Sky Binders; Definitely a site I would suggest as a bookmark to all virgin & seasoned Binderers.

---The dilemma I encountered when I special ordered my last Ignition Lock Cylinder was caused by my not studying the part image. For some reason the books/systems all show the Scout II from 1977-1980 as having the screw retainer rather than the retaining tab. Whether this be due to a jobber member stating that the "columns are GM" or store owners on eBay puting incorrect information into the system, I don't know, but all columns I had, including post-77 tilt columns had the retaining tab so in short, make certain what you have first, and verifying the part you are buying is correct.

---Also, never even tap (with hammer or other such tool) on the Column, Shaft, Flexible Coupler, Yokes or any other component between the Pitman Arm & Steering Wheel when working on a Collapsible Column.

6. scoutin1

scoutin1 Farmall Cub

I installed an ignition lock cylinder on my 1980 Scout II tilt column with Standard part number US-61L that I got from O'reilly's for $16.99 plus tax. The end that slides into the column looks a bit different but it works just fine.