SCOUT II Heater Upgrade and Switch Questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Chris Breedlove, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Chris Breedlove

Chris Breedlove Farmall Cub

Next I did a trial fitment of the new early model Scout II heater core. I unscrewed the front ( facing truck grill) core heater box cover. If you decide to do this heater modification, you'll have to clearance the back (firewall) side of the heater box as the core tank won' fit into the slot. It's wider, maybe about a 1/2". I chose to cut off the indentation cover on the backside of the heater box to make intial rom. I'll modify the piece I cut off or make a new one and weld it in.

Also, in lieu of the screws that were holding pieces in place, I'll probable weld where I can and rivnut things like the heater motor flange, resistor.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Breedlove

Finished modifying heater box, core's mounted, built a screen to cover inlet as I don't run inner fenders because of tire size. Will upload pictures in a bit and give more detail.

3. Chris Breedlove

With the new fan wheel position, I had to grind out the inside of the heater box wheel opening to account for the larger wheel and offset. Removed approximately 1" to one side, tapering off to top and bottom.

Attached Files:

4. Chris Breedlove

With that corrected, I then focused on the heater core install. I cut off the firewall side back plate that positions the heater core and fabricated a new piece. I cut along the sides of the existing channel, bent up a new piece 3/4" deep, 1/2" wider, and welded into place. I'm guessing if you had a 1975 Scout II heater box or earlier you wouldn't have to do this part.

Attached Files:

5. Chris Breedlove

I then played with the heater core bolted cover (grill side) and noticed that it snugly fit the new sized core with a little persuading . I drilled out the heater box where this cover mounts and installed a QTY of 6 10-24 aluminum rivnuts.

A note on rivnuts- This is my second project on the scout that I've used them. The first one I used the steel rivnuts that came with the Harbor Freight rivnut tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html I ran out of the rivnuts that came with it and purchased in bulk replacement 10-24 size in aluminum. I reccommend using steel, and red loctite on the outer area prior to installation for extra grip. I used the aluminum ones I had for this and wasn't real happy with the results.

Attached Files:

6. Chris Breedlove

Showing 1975 heater core in 1980 Scout II modified heater box. Looking good.
    I then cleaned up the welds, rust, old paint with a grinder. Did additional final fitup of heater motor/ wheel, resistor, core, etc.
    I bought some #9 flat 1/2" expanded metal and rivnutted it to the inlet side of the heater box for debris protection, fastening it with 10-24 x 1/2" allen head ss screws. I don't run inner fenders due to tire size.

I also bought some vinyl weatherstrip, 3/4" wide c 3/16" thick as a cushion to replace what was inside the heater core area before. If nothing else to hold it in place and keep the steel from rubbing a hole in the copper tank core.

Additionally, used regular silicone clear to seal motor plate to heater box, then fastened motor to modified heater box with 10-24 x 3/4" ss allen head screws. Did same program with resistor. Fastened it with 10-24 x 1/2" ss allen button head screws.

Attached Files:

7. Chris Breedlove

Showing mechanically completed progress., unit assembled. Need to create a pigtail with spade connectors for the resistor connection. I've searched for a factory pigtail with no luck. Once I make the pigtail, I'll install the unit and finish the switch mount and wiring to and from.

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Looks good,since you are not running inner fenders,I would build a box,or use the upper rear part of an inner fender,so you pull your air from the vent under the windshield,instead of just under the fender.It will plug the coil pretty fast with the tire throwing water and dirt up there.

Chris Breedlove likes this.
  9. Chris Breedlove

Good call. I may do this in the future. Previously I ran the truck this way out West with no issues for five plus years. When I removed the heater box for this work, very little debris was present, with no screen at the time. No damage was noticed to to the old core. Maybe I was just lucky? I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks again.

10. Chris Breedlove

Additionally, for those who have interest and pending successfully completion of this work, I will sort and combine into a PDF document and post here with additional notation. I can't believe it won't be successfull. I should have wired and bench tested components prior to install to include the different switch, but lazyness on my part I didn't. The only hold back I see is possibly a potentially incompatible switch/ resistor.

11. Chris Breedlove

So, it works! Very happy with the outcome.. Please take a look at the attached PDF file with live links embedded to perform this modification. I hope this helps someone else! For now, I'm holding off on putting in anymore info on the thread. Everything is captured here in the PDF. Thank you for the input folks. I hope this does someone some good:)

Attached Files: