Scout II grill interchangeability

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rollercam, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

What years are interchangeable as far as grills/grill shells go? I am including the lower grill/valence (with the parking lights) in my question as well. I have a 78 scout (at least that is what the vin number and door tag say), but along the way, it appears to have picked up a 75 grill. The grill and the metal upper grill shell are good, but the lower metal grill/valence is bent on one side and I was going to look for a good straight used one, but I need to know if I can just pick up any year (71 - 80) lower piece or if it needs to be year specific. Honestly, if I found a good deal, I would like to change the entire piece back to the correct 78 (or 79 from my understanding) grill.

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

I put a 1975 grille on my 1978. It looks like a 1973 as it has no plastic trim, just stainless headlight bezels. The grille and the valence or gravel deflector as the FIL called it is spot welded to the grille. It's kinda a pain to separate. There is a change through the years and it has to do with the chrome trim marker lights versus non chrome trimmed. The pockets in the metal are different. I reused my 1978 valence. It's now attached with bolts. Made painting the grille white easier as well! Look for the complete assembly.
    [​IMG]

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The lower valance is interchangeable, however on some models there are spot welds instead of bolts securing it to the grille. They can be drilled out. Just requires more effort. The '77 thru '79 plastic grille inserts are most similar in terms of design and appearance.

4. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

So, just to clarify, they are pretty much all interchangeable just some of them will require a little more work than the others (whether it is spot welded or not)? I will try to find the whole assembly, but it sounds like I can make any year lower valence work if necessary. Thanks for the help and info.

5. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Forgot about the recesses for the Park/Turn lights being different. If you get a valance from an earlier SII that you want to use, you'll need the chrome trimmed Park/Turn light housings and lenses to go along with it.

6. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

I did exactly the same thing with mine. The only trim on my front end are the stainless headlight bezels and the "International" plaque. Only difference is that my front end is all body-colored. I thought about doing a contrast, but ultimately just thought it would look better all one color, given that I was shooting it with flat paint anyway. (And yet my roof is white!)

For the first few years of owning it, I ran with the SSII plastic grill cover. It looked kind of cool I guess. Coincidentally, after a couple of years, I painted the plastic grill white! Go figure. But shortly after that I found the sheet metal of a '74-75 and swapped it all out.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

I am using a 73/74 on my 78. With the sq. headlamp trim off my 78 and with chrome cover from a 75. I did change to the older valance with the metal turn signals. But with all of the parts you can mix and match the grills from a 71-81.
    One good thing with the 77-79 the plastic grill can be removed for easier service to add a cooler and AC drier if yours is still located behind the headlamp.

8. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Here's a nice tip if you putting back together components that used to be welded. See if you can get use of a 5/16" or maybe 1/4" pneumatic hole punch. Makes a nice perfect hole and won't distort your metal like a drill will sometimes do.