scout 800 wheel question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by viper11511, Jun 9, 2004.

1. viper11511

viper11511 Farmall Cub

Looking for wheel offset, backspacing, and bolt pattern. Thank you! DO wqheels from other trucks fit this year? Thanks!

2. Jeff Melber

Jeff Melber Binder Driver

Bolt pattern is 5 lugs on 5.5 inch circle. Be careful to get wheels with the large hub hole to fit over the lockout hubs on the scout.

As far as offset or backset/frontset make sure you are consistent in what you're looking for. Some companies use frontset some backset make sure you're talking about the same thing when you ask. I don't know what stock is. I have 15 x 10's on my 800 with 4 inch of backset. Yes the tires stick out past the fenders. Haven't been stopped by the police yet, but I'm still running OH tags in PA.

All scout II rims will fit. Several others will work, Dodge, Ford, Jeep from the 70's into the early 80's will work. I'm not sure exactly which. Watchout for the hub diameter.

Good luck.

3. viper11511

viper11511 Farmall Cub

Thanks for info! What size tire are you running and do you have a lift? Thanks again!

4. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

jeep CJs up to 85/86 or there abouts, some of the full size jeeps, dodge ramchargers/trucks, lots of fords, but as pointed out, watch the hub size. i've been told suzuki samurai wheels fit too, but as far as i know they are like 5" width. so unless they are custom wheels don't know who'd want em.

5. Tom Newell

Tom Newell Farmall Cub

I did a whole bunch of research to find the "right" wheels for my 65 Scout 80.

As nearly as I could figure out, the original wheels are "zero" offset, 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, and with a nominal 4.25" center hole. And six inches wide.

The zero offset is always my first choice for the best balance of bearing life, turning radius, clearance and appearance.

The wheels I ended up getting have worked out great. I had never heard of the company before, but they are made by Pacer Wheels. 15"X7" with zero offset. They are simple black painted steel wheels with a great finish. They are also actually round; this can be a problem with a surprising number of aftermarket steel wheels. They do have those ugly red and blue pinstripes, but body shop overspray solvent makes short work of those. The Pacer center caps are also not the most attractive example of the art. The wheels are cheap; I think about $45 each.

As for tires, I use the Pirelli Scorpion AT, 255 75R15. These are a touch smaller than 31X10.5's and fit the proportions of the small Scouts very nicely. The Scorpions are great tires and value priced (a bit less than $110). Quiet, easy rolling and solid handling at freeway speeds (well, as close to freeway speeds as a 4-cylinder Scout 80 can get). I also get a lot of compliments on them from folks who would not normally think about truck tires. They are wearing very well, so far (I run the pressure on the high end of the recommended scale for radials). (Attention to correct tire pressure is the source of all kinds of goodness when it comes to wheeled vehicles.)

This combination works out extremely well for my Scout. I can actually make a slow u-turn on a four-lane road. I am running something above stock height (probably a couple of inches), but I intend to get springs made to get it back down where it belongs, and clearance will not be an issue. I supposedly have 4.27 gears, and my truck sounds somewhat less likely to shoot a piston through the hood than with the old 30X9.5’s. It has the same get-up-and-go, despite the size increase (I suspect because the Pirellis roll easier than the old Goodrichs.) By the way, I know these tires roll dramatically easier because the coasting speeds down the same hills are a bunch faster.

Good luck with your 800,

Tom

6. viper11511

viper11511 Farmall Cub

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! Thanks!

7. Marc

Marc Farmall Cub

I have a set of wheels from a late 80's/ early '90's F150 on my Scout 800. They are aluminum, and I had the centres machined out to fit the hubs - the machinist did not seem to think it was an issue. They seem to have the same clearance between the rim edge and the tie rod spot on the axle. I had to knock out the centres on the front centres, and grind the flange off that the plastic centre sat on. I think they look nice, anyway - and I have a set of P225/70R15 white letter tires on there.

Attached Files:

8. 61Scout80

61Scout80 Farmall Cub

Wow......Orange is in the air!! Gotta love it :D :D Here's my 71 800B with 30x9.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 black wagon wheels with 3.75" back spacing. I have Mr. Scout 2.5" springs on it. The tires tuck into the fender wells very nice with no rubbing on the fenders or the leaf springs. The wheels I got from 4 Wheel parts and they actually came with out the little red & blue lines. I think they were about $43 a piece.

Attached Files:

9. FoNiK

FoNiK Farmall Cub

can i put 800 wheels on an 80?

10. Tom Newell

Tom Newell Farmall Cub

Yes, 80 and 800 wheels are interchangeable. (Assuming all stock setup; retrofitted disk brakes, alternative axles and great big tires would be an altogether different matter.).

The two models are essentially “identical” with the respect to the ways the various parts would affect tire and wheel fitment.

Of course, with Scouts there is always an exception. The more rare 4X2 Scouts did come with 4 bolt wheels. Not sure about the timeframe for this difference and when it may have ended.

Tom