Scout 800 project...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

We had a customer drop off an 800 for some work last weekend. We'll be doing a disc brake conversion up front (a'la Gary Billings), leveling the suspension out, and some minor cargo floor patching. Looking forward to getting started this week, and we'll keep everyone posted on progress.

[​IMG]

2. Mike Moore

I got time to get this in the shop today and pull the front end down on it. I got one side stripped completely to the spindle and ready to start assembly with disc brakes. All of my parts should be in tomorrow morning, and I hope to get it ready to reassemble, then on to the other side. Very straight forward with the help of a few veterans of the swap. Once I am sure of all of my parts numbers, I will post what I used here for future searches.

3. Mike Moore

I had ordered a bunch of parts that finally came in yesterday, and got time to work with this again this morning.

Here's one side stripped down to the spindle and ready to start reassembling.
    [​IMG]

And I tried out the new Harbor bead blasting cabinet on the caliper bracket/backing plates...a little fresh paint and viola!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting on the deals to get here, but hopefully Friday I'll be ready to reassemble this thing and get it stopping!

4. Mike Moore

Half hour of grinding for caliper clearance today, and one side is ready for the doggone seals that are ordered...otherwise I'd be on to the other side.:)
    [​IMG]

5. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Well if you had ordered the seals earlier........

Oh wait.:oops:

6. Mike Moore

I wasn't gonna throw anyone under the bus...:tt2:

7. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Are you done yet? Those seals were in stock at Oreilly, it can't take that long to get them to you even if you are in VA.

8. Mike Moore

Still waiting on them, man! They are supposed to be in tomorrow. NOBODY in town had 'em. I was really hoping to get them sooner.

9. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Surely you have the seals by now? How did it go?

10. Mike Moore

I've had so much going on the past week that I'd totally forgotten to update this thread. The seals came in, the parts all fit together great, and it's got all the wheels back on it. At this point all I need to do is replace the short steel line on the left side (it twisted off), and bleed the brakes, test it all out and it'll be ready to roll.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I can get that done. Our 11 year old Siberian Husky is not getting along too well again, so I may have to take care of that in the next few days, though.

11. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Good luck with that, we lost our 14 year old Boxer this summer, and that was hard, now our 10 year old Lab is starting to show signs of slowing down. We got a new puppy, and that helps. Hopefully your Husky just needs some Rimadyl or Glucosamin.

12. Mike Moore

He had an injury to his front paw a few months ago, and X-rays showed some small bones missing that should have been there. They said his age and activity had evidently worn them down to itty-bitty pieces and they "fell out" of where they ought to be. The treatment is basically to deal with it, and don't expect it to get better without a very expensive surgery. He's got a pain prescription for that which is ongoing...given when needed. He's got a pretty serious limp from that, and barely walks on all four, some days it never hits the ground at all. We're good with that, but yesterday he immediately went from the above mentioned state, to one of drooling constantly, head hanging at a 45 degree angle (toward his bad foot, of course), stumbling around in circles tripping over everything, his eyes are unable to focus on anything, etc. Very much like a stroke, and it was all at once. Scary stuff. I researched it online, and we think it is "Vestibular Syndrome". Same signs as a stroke, but it generally goes away in a few days/weeks. We are going to give him some time to see what happens, but we can't have him hurting himself even more that he already is, and stumbling around on a bum foot when you can't keep balance enough to walk straight is not a good thing. We are having big fun with a 5 year old in the house...

13. Dave Nutter

Dave Nutter Farmall Cub

In mid December, I had to have my 17 year old Lab put down. At that age she had a combination of issues. What is weird, within a week, my son had his 12 year old Golden Retriever put down and a close friend had her 13 year old Choclate Lab put down too. The Chocolate Lab had symptoms like you describe with your dog Mike. It was a very, very difficult thing to do.

14. dustin howarth

dustin howarth Farmall Cub

Sorry to hear about your dog - hope that all works out okay.

What size tires are on that 800? Stock suspension?

No rush - just trying to work out what size tires I can fit - my 31.50s are too small with the mild spring lift the PO installed ...

Thanks!

15. Dave Nutter

Dave Nutter Farmall Cub

Those are 31/10:50 x 15".

16. dustin howarth

dustin howarth Farmall Cub

Okay - that's what I have on mine (I meant 31" x 10.50 in my post), but they look a little on the small side, due to whatever spring lift the PO installed. they look great on that 800.

Thanks for the info! Enjoying the build thread!

17. Mike Moore

I've done poo-poo poor at keeping this updated.:oops:

We got the brake swap all finished up and still had poor braking performance. It was diagnosed as a bad master cylinder, and one should be in here tomorrow for replacement. Hopefully that gets us going and stopping like a new Scout! We got another Scout project dropped off this weekend, and I hope to be able to start spending a bit more time in the shop putting in hours turning wrenches for a change

18. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Mike which master are you using? The front will need more juice which is why most doing this swap go to a late production EB master or SII (and replumb). I have the EB master, spec 1976 and it has the larger chamber for the fronts. Ports are on the correct side for an 800 and it was designed for use on a disc front D44. It requires one port fitting and a hybrid pushrod. $39 brand new no core and usually in stock. One backing nut needs to be removed from the mounting plate, the hole egged out a tiny bit, and a new nut and bolt installed. But a very close fit.

19. Mike Moore

Its a stock replacement. Looked like Gary Billings and Mitch Neal both used the stock one with good results, so I figured for the $36.99 I could stick with it. NAPA said it was the only one that showed up in the system, and ordered it from Kansas.:)

20. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Stock as in drum/drum stock, or ? NAPA has shown the stock Scout 800 stepbore MC out of production for 10 years. I had my original remanned about 8 years ago because it had been discontinued. Is it the Jeep 1" bore version, or a similar cross? It looks pretty close. Lots of folks are using them on 800s.