Scout 800 New Harness/Coil & Neg Cable

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 76rallye, Sep 20, 2019.

1. 76rallye

76rallye Farmall Cub

Just completely rewired my 1970 Scout 800 with a new North West Harness. Is the following normal (have not started engine yet)
    1. Negative side of Battery Cable warm. also, battery is new, polarity is not reversed and cables are new as well. I measured from negative side to engine block gnd with headlights on and measure 0.345 volts.
    2. 12v at one side of ballast resistor and 9v at opposite side leading to coil?
    Thank you

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. 76rallye

76rallye Farmall Cub

Wanted to add to my post that Turn signals, horn, headlights, hazards, heater fan, side markers and electric wipers all work as expected. Tail lights work but I still need to figure out what’s wrong with the rear brake lights.

3. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

I don’t think the negative cable should be warm period. Sounds like there is a large drain on the system. It’s a big cable and would take a lot of load to raise the temperature. Be very careful, I had a coil wire completely fry as it always had power to it...very dangerous! Maybe you should unplug a circuit at a time until you find the fault. Do the coil first. I’m not an expert on wiring but use a lot of caution here, please.

Don B

4. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Cable should not be warm. If it is a good amount of current is flowing through it. Quick test would be is there spark when disconnecting the ground? There should not be.

5. 76rallye

76rallye Farmall Cub

As I was trying to figure out why my rear brake lights were not working, I grounded the socket to see if I had a poor ground. I noticed a small spark when when the socket touched vehicle ground. So it looks like I do have an issue somewhere. Also, loosening and reconnecting the negative battery cable does cause a spark as well. Also tried to turn engine over but nothing. I’ll start looking at the starter perhaps and work my way back. Thanks for your help

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019