Scout 800 Dana 44 E-Locker Build

Discussion in 'Sonora Desert Scouts (Arizona)' started by Eric Jouse, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

Here are a couple of pic’s of the rear axle build just completed for Roy Ireland.

Roy was looking for more “tractibility”, particularly for loose terrain and were diagonally opposite wheels are off the ground, and heard I had a “spare” Eaton E-Locker and 3.73 gearing. Roy’s UnJeep is an award winning Scout 800: The axle was removed, thoughly cleaned, phosphated, and coated with metal enamel.

The set-up went well. The position of the old (+2) factory pinion was measured, and the new pinion set up. Backlash was next, and then the contact pattern was checked, and settings (shims) adjusted. Set up bearings were removed, new bearings installed: The resultant pattern (shown) loads the ring gear in the center of the tooth.

After some ancillary works, such as changing the inner seals and a brake job, the axle was re-installed and tested. The overall job took nearly three days.

Eric

Attached Files:

TomHansen likes this.
  2. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

As Eric said, I've been wanting to upgrade my less than adequate rear D44 PowerLoc for many years. When I heard that Eric had a used E-Locker, ring and pinion available with my gear ratio, I decided to pull the trigger. The E-Locker may be "overkill" for my 800, but it should open up a lot of terrain that I previously have had to abandon.
    Eric spent three days on the build. I did the gopher work. Thanks for a great job!
    I can't wait to get out and give it a try!
    Roy
    edit: added a picture of my dash-mounted locker switch.

Attached Files:

Fife likes this.
  3. TomHansen

TomHansen Farmall Cub

It is nice to have such great IH friends you can count on...Eric truly bleeds IH Red and is a great guy to have around for sure.

4. az scout guy

az scout guy Binder Driver

Contact pattern shows pinion to far away, or are they used gears

5. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

They're Yukon (single lapped) gears, with 30k miles on them. Dana Spicer gears are doubled-lapped, and do not indicate near the face, as do the Yukon's.

I've uploaded a close-up. The pinion measured in well, at nearly the same depth as the (+2) factory gearing that was removed from the housing.

If you were thinking that the pattern shown was the teeth that were marked on the ring - You would be right: The pinion depth would be too large. But during final check, I use the "second transfer": Where the compound that the pinion accumulates from the ring is transfer back to the ring gear (on un-marked teth). (The marking compound is removed from the ring in first contact, but is pasted back onto the ring on second contact: So that contact the pattern is indicated by the presence of compound, and not the absence)

The area highlighted in orange in the close-up is the pattern of the load-bearing surface of the pinion: It is centered both heel-to-toe and flank-to-face, to within the shims available in the rebuild kit. This looks like the right place to load a tooth, at least to me.

Regards, Eric

Attached Files:

6. az scout guy

az scout guy Binder Driver

This is the pattern I like to see

Attached Files:

7. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

Nice picture.
    Nice pattern.
    Doesn't look like a D44.

8. az scout guy