Scout 80 tire decision Need advice

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ryanb1994, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ryanb1994

ryanb1994 Farmall Cub

Have a 61 scout
    [​IMG]

it is completely stock, about to be road ready, however tires are very dry rotted, from sitting for who knows how many years in this field [​IMG]

I am looking to find some "pizza cutter style" off road tires similar to the ones that are on it, problem being the two tires I've been considering have been 33x10.5 r16 (gateway buckshots) and the narrow ss. from interco 34x9.5 r16 both of these tires seem to be too large for stock suspension setup. My question is, do i need to lift to fit these tires (which isn't a problem at all, it probably needs a new suspension) or are there other pizza cutter style tires out there i haven't seen that would fit running stock height? Also would love to see some pictures of your scout 80 with whatever tire you run!

Thanks in advance!

2. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

I have also been looking for new tires for my Scout, mine has maybe a 2" shackle lift, good body bushings. Right now I have 235/85R16 (32") tires, but they will need to go back on the pickup. They work well and look good, too.
    STA tires makes a smaller "pizza cutter" style tire.
    I do not want to go with a bias ply, I think a 31x9.5 would be perfect, but they just aren't available anymore.

3. pineneedle

pineneedle Farmall Cub

Look at an Interco Super Swampers in 31/9.50/15. They are great tires, and very pizza cutterish. I have used several sets on a '51 CJ3A and they look very "stock". Pineneedle

4. pineneedle

pineneedle Farmall Cub

Pizza Cutters, part deux. I should have mentioned that the Super Swampers I referenced are in their TSL radial tire. Pineneedle

5. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

I had seen those TSL radials. Pretty pricey at $200 per.
    Also, from my reading, they don't work very well on light snow and ice (hardpack) which are a significant consideration for me.

6. cheyladd

cheyladd Farmall Cub

I just put Hercules Trail Diggers on my 63 80 and like them although they are smaller than I would have preferred. I went with 235/75/15 which measure 29x9. I really like the tires and they aren't that loud. Definitely the pizza cutter look and I had to go with 15 inch since I am running the factory rims. If I'd had 16's, I would have gone with the 235/85/16.

7. pineneedle

pineneedle Farmall Cub

I can't vouch for snow and ice because I keep my babies away from road salt at all costs. However, I have driven on these tires extensively in Colorado, most of the tough trails, and they are great performers. As for the price, I found several sources on ebay at much less than $200. But in these matters, you pays yer money, you takes yer choice. Pineneedle

8. Scout Driver

Scout Driver Binder Driver

9. JackJ

JackJ Farmall Cub

I currently have 215 85 16 tires on OEM 16 inch rims.I used bolt on chrome truck valve stems on the rims.Nice part is load range E.I like the look of the hubcapless 16 inch rims and I used black laquer on them.

10. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Hardly anyone makes the old school pizza cutters anymore. The original super swamper was still made in the 30-31 pizza cutter style a few years ago, might still, I haven't checked lately but they were also bias ply.
    They're no doubt harder to find the correct tire for vehicles that old but there is no way that I'm gonna drive a 61 Scout very long on load range E tires. I have no need for those tires on that truck. I just may have to go back to 15's.

11. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

12. jtscout80

jtscout80 Farmall Cub

I think a set of these would be sweet on an 80. I have them on the back of my MS1210.
    [​IMG]

Deestone D503 7.50-16, about 32" tall and 8" wide mounted on 5.5x16 rims. Bias ply, but how much difference in ride and handling will radials really make on a 50 year old utility vehicle? (40 year old van in my case)

Attached Files:

13. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

JackJ - How about a pic of your 215/85R16 setup?
    Here is a pic of my 800 with 235/85R16 (almost 32") tires. I am going with the premise that 80 and 800 clearances are close to the same.
    Here is a website that is helpful for comparing tire sizes.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Scherr

Mike Scherr Farmall Cub

eightOsix,

Any lift in those pics?

15. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

Maybe 2" shackle lift. Would like to replace the springs someday and get a couple more inches. These tires fit fine, no rubbing. I don't do any serious wheeling, so not sure what would happen there. The 152, even with 4:88 gears, has trouble pushing up a hill with these tall tires in high range.