Scout 80 questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by wateredDown, Apr 13, 2015.

1. 64desertscout

64desertscout Farmall Cub

Could be a late 800B or a SII, that's a flanged axle, the only way to really tell is to measure the wheel mount face. Did the tires tuck under the rear fenders?

2. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

Yes, the tires sit normal and I don't see any signs of cut down. Perches are the same as well so I assume 800 diff. The drums are 11".

3. 64desertscout

Sounds like an 800B axle, there not that common. Mines from an 800, but its a tapered axle. Do you know what ratio it is? Mine has 4.88's and the 196 is hummin pretty good at 55mph, that's about 3300rpm. It'll do 60mph but I don't like how it sounds, it's happy at 55. Now if I can only luck on to an overdrive..........

4. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

No, I haven't gotten around to pulling the Diff cover yet still working on the wonderful world of brakes!:)

5. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

Desertscout so after a little cleaning and research I found out that my motor is a 196! I was not aware of the motor stamp on the block, because It was covered in about an inch of gunk! But I found where all the gunk came from...the timing cover seal was completely toasted and all the rubber was in the oil pan! Hoping to fire it up this wknd!

Attached Files:

6. urbex

urbex Binder Driver

FWIW, I've now had two Scout 80s with the stock D27 up front, more HP, and larger than stock tires, without a failure in the front end.

Both were '62s and manual transmission, prior one was running an AMC 258, SOA, on 35s. I actually got on that one quite a bit harder than I ever expected the front axle to hold up to in the rocks, and it never broke on me. Current one is running an LT1 V8 from a Camaro, SUA, on 33s. This one I'm quite a bit more ginger on the throttle with, as the torque from the V8 hits a lot harder than the 258, and I'm genuinely afraid of snapping this axle, lol. I'm also running a locker in the rear D44, which helps tremendously, and I find that I can run an awful lot in just 2WD.

Bottom line though is that whether an axle will hold up depends an awful lot on what you're actually driving on, and how heavy your right foot is. If you're running a manual trans, feather the clutch in off road, and do NOT do clutch drops in 4WD :D

That all said, I still don't recommend that people stay with the D27 for any type of off road use, as it really blows to have to change out parts in the middle of nowhere on a hot day, lol, and it's all too easy to get a little too excited trying to make it up and over an obstacle.

7. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

Urbex, I recently found that my scout has the 27 upfront, 44 rear, and a 196! It's sitting on 31" tires right now which I think I will stick with, I'm going to start looking into lifts, 2.5" I think will get me to the height I'm looking for. I will be using it as a daily driver and occasional runs, but I have no plan to beat on it like I did my 75! I completely grenaded the dana 44 in my S2 doing just what you mentioned! I wasn't gonna be denied:nono: lol!

8. urbex

urbex Binder Driver

Reminds me of my days with Jeeps...and everyone said the D35 rear ends in those things were a toothpick just waiting to snap. I spent years wheeling on those D35s, and never broke one, but the summer I upgraded to a D44 rear - I broke it 6 times in that one summer, lol. When I had the smaller axle, I was mindful of it, and never hammered on it too hard. But once I got the "beefy" D44...I started beating on it like it owed me money, lol.

9. 64desertscout

That's great......I'm happy with the power of the 196, and there will be other leaks....trust me

10. urbex

urbex Binder Driver

That's just a visual indicator that there's still oil/fluid in that area...it's when the leaks stop that you have to be concerned :D

11. 64desertscout

If its not leaking it doesn't have any........just like an old Harley, they mark there spot. :banana:

After getting the top and bulkhead mostly finished I need to replace most of the gaskets and seals in the T-case. I would rebuild it but its not to noisy and operates well. When I change over to a T19 trans I will go through it.

12. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

On my 65 80 with 152, I am still using the 1904 carb wih the mods out lined on the IHPartsAmerica.com forum. I have found a Weber carb but my Carb man forbits its use. When he sets me up with some carb, I'll write it up. This Scout goes Pig hunting [four legged pigs] and not rough trails so I hasve never considered Bill's FI conversion.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  13. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Fuel tank selector valve $25
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...23&familyName=Brass+3+Way+Fuel+Selector+Valve

$70 for a BWD - electric Fuel Tank Selector Valve most mid-80s to 90s Ford trucks with dual tanks have them. Allows for a fuel return if you decide to go with fuel injection.

Junkyard fuel filler necks: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47143&highlight=filler neck

Gary used Ford LTD filler necks, 80-90s Ford trucks are a good source, too.

14. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

I decided on the manual fuel selector I believe in the K.I.S.s method (keep it simple stupid) lol. The good news is I put oil in her last night and she hasn't marked her territory yet, but then again I haven't got to prime the system yet. I'm gonna hit the local vato zone and pick up a primer tool but they have different types for ford and chevy, do you guys know which one will work? I've attached some recent pics of progress 3 weeks in, thanks for all the feedback!

Attached Files:

15. 64desertscout

Another good upgrade is a dual master for the brakes. Pretty easy to do with little modification to the Scout. I have an extra one brand new for cheap if you want to do it.

16. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

Desertscout
    is there a noticeable benefit to doing the upgrade? How involved is it? I would be interested in most any brake upgrade that wasn't a budget buster!:beer:

17. wateredDown

wateredDown Farmall Cub

Desertscout I need to get you over here one of these days to listen to this thing, the noise is odd and a new one by me? I can hear what your talking about, but this noise seems to be coming from the drivers side almost by the dizzy? I can hear it best on the intake between the dizzy and carb??