Scout 80 Parts Supplier - Any Recommendations?

Discussion in '"International" Harvesters' started by ozscout, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ozscout

ozscout Farmall Cub

I have just stripped down the scout - it has sliding passanger windows so I am guessing it is a '60-'62.

Can anyone recommend a parts supplier?

2. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Depends on what you need. Are you looking for sheetmetal, gaskets, mechanical items? There are some one-stop shops but it is better to source some of the items from specialty suppliers. Some are more reliable than others. I have just stumbled onto a source for Scout 80 sliding window gaskets, something I had never seen available before. So, it is best to list and prioritize what you need. I am sure we can help......

3. ozscout

ozscout Farmall Cub

Parts that I need:

1. Gauges - Speedometer and Fuel, Oil
    2. Headlight outer rings
    3. 1x headlight bucket
    4. tailgate
    5. front turn signal lights – front piece and lenses (not assembly)
    6. complete taillight assemblies
    7. horn button
    8. sliding window rails (tracks)
    9. ignition
    10. door handle barrels (Locks)
    11. window frames
    12. windscreen weather-stripping
    13. rear window weather-stripping
    14. door weather stripping
    15. interior air ducts / demister
    16. back up light assemblies
    17. outer mirrors
    18. interior mirror
    19. engine rebuild gasket kit

That’s all I can think of for now that I don’t think I can get locally.

4. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Everything except 8 and 11 are either standard Ebay items, or items you can get with relative ease in the classified section of the web site and other Scout/IHC friendly websites. Most of what is out there is good used stuff. If your objective is simply to get the truck on the road, you should be able to scrounge up all of it in a short period of time. These are not hard to find parts in the US. If you are looking to do a restoration with NOS parts, it will take a very long time to get the stuff together and will cost you plenty. If you are committed to this I have a short list of ebay sellers that specialize in NOS for 80 and 800.

If your sliding window frames are shot, you are probably going to have to either get very lucky finding a good used set or you will need to switch to later rollup Scout 80 doors. The aluminum frames are notoriously weak and the windows are known to fall out if the frames are bent or the felts are badly worn or missing. Do not buy used frames that show even the slightest amount of eccentricity. I have seen used frames, windows, and gaskets on Ebay and a few times in the Classifieds. I have only seen the slider tracks for sale once ever.You can't swap the rollup mechanism and the window into your slider window doors.

I do not know how available 152 engines are in your neck of the woods, but you literally trip over them around here and I would suggest you buy a good used one instead of doing an engine rebuild at this juncture. How are you sure that your engine needs to be rebuilt? Your list suggests that there are several categories of need for your 80, and your money might be better served going for quantity right now.

Is your body tub sound?

5. ozscout

ozscout Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info - the tub is sound - the tray is rusted so I will be replacing that.

The car has been sitting in a barn for 10 years so I presume I would rebuild the engine or but in some later model Nissan running gear.

I thought I would buy parts from a supplier so that I could save on shipping. I don't really care about NOS, I just want to have a bit of fun and get the Scout on the road.

To be honest, I have owned and restored 7 mustangs previously so I kind of have a little chuckle to myself when I am working on the car and the parts, by comparison, are pretty cheap.