Scout 2 Speedometer Calibration

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by NorCalMike, May 25, 2020.

1. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I have a 1978 Scout 2 with an inaccurate speedometer. The inaccuracy is due to changed rear end gears and 33 inch tires. The PO did the rear end gear swap, 3.55 I think? The scout has a 345, torque flight, and dana 20. Anyway, the speedometer reads slow.

When the Scout speedo reads 15 the GPS says I am going 23
    When the Scout speedo reads 25 the GPS says I am going 35
    When the Scout speedo reads 35 the GPS says I am going 47

I pulled the driven gear from the t-case. It is all metal and has 13 teeth. Based on the research I have done, I need a driven gear with fewer teeth to speed up the speedo cable rotation and thus increase the indicated speed on the dash. These gears seem to be getting rare as there are few for sale and those I do find have more not fewer teeth.

Has anyone found a source for these gears? Do they come with 11 or 12 teeth? If not, what other options are available without doing math in my head each time I check the gauge.

2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Try ih parts America. The service manuals and parts manuals had tables.

3. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

Get rid of the antiquated instrument panel and go with a programmable speedometer or GPS. SV400010.JPG Here are some ideas in a couple of my Scouts.

kdsmit and NorCalMike like this.
  4. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

Another one! These are made by Intellitronix. The red one is GPS. The previous one (hard to see) is to the right of the 7000 RPM tach and they are VDO guages.

Attached Files:

kdsmit likes this.
  5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Driving an "antiquated" vehicle is OK, so long as it doesn't have an "antiquated instrument panel"? Besides wanting to keep such things original, I can think of a number of good reasons why the modern "replacements" like GPS can be a bad idea.

Phearmonger likes this.
  6. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

I apologize for offending you but different people have different preferences. For years, I got tired of looking at "HOT---COLD", "EMPTY---FULL", "LOW---HIGH", AND "CHARGE---DISCHARGE". I like numbers so I know what my engine is doing, not to mention the much improved visibility at night. Two years ago I nearly lost a Travelette because of a dash fire because the OEM ammeter gauge wouldn't take the amperage going through it. I also lost a head gasket because I could not tell the actual temperature of my engine while towing up a mountain. I can understand wanting to keep everything original if you're into the factory restoration look but I like numbers rather than "ball park" instruments. What I really like and factory instruments lack, is the excellent night visibility and programmable speedometer and tachometer. No more problems with gear ratio and tire size changes!

7. Dana Strong

You didn't offend me; I just disagree with your preferences and your overly authoritative ("Get rid of the ...") suggestion to the OP.

Phearmonger likes this.
  8. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I like the look of the original too. What would really be cool and modern is to install sensors that reported to a raspberry pi that was Bluetooth connected to a small tablet in a clip and reported key parameters in some type of dashboard style. You install the tablet, turn the key and you have the best of both worlds.

9. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

kdsmit likes this.
  10. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I know everyone has a preference, function, or look they are going for as they work on their projects. For me I like the analog gauges and am trying to keep a factory look, others have different goals. There is no right or wrong. I was hoping to get some options from the community with my post. So far we have a few. thanks for commenting.

11. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I did see those on your site Jeff and I will probably end up buying one. I was trying to see if there was a speedometer driven gear that i could swap out that would get me to the same point for a little cheaper. They are hard to find though.

12. Dana Strong

My 800B came with the external chamber containing the right gears for its original tires. As stated above, the manual has a page showing which unit/gear combinations were used with our transmissions. I think that page includes the driven gear, internal to the transmission. Using that, if you figure out the right parts, an online search may find the specific ones you need. Or did you try that already?
    Any wrecking yards in your area that might still have old IH vehicles? Any old speedometer shops still there?
    Then the question is whether they are open or answering phones, with the current lockdown...​

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  13. Binder Brothers

Binder Brothers Binder Driver

I would keep my IH's original and use my phone/GPS on the highway.

14. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

There is an old time automotive shop here (Nashville) that makes and sells them, A & B Auto. You give them the readings and you get a box. Simple.

JJ in TN

15. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

I believe the speedometer drive gearboxes were originally made by Stewart Warner. I don't know if they still make them. I have a sack of them. If you could let me know which one you need, I'd be glad to give you one if I have it. They are marked with the gear reduction.
    Dan

Erik VanRenselaar likes this.