Scout 2 sidewinder?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Michael1971, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I was trolling through Facebook marketplace when I came upon this scout 2 sidewinder. I was wondering if this was one of those regional custom editions international was fond of doing? Or if it is some aftermarket decal kit, sadly the owner made the classic decision to paint it Black to hide the rust, I was just curious if this could have been the biggest mistake he ever made by ruining some ultra rare special edition.

Attached Files:

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

At least for me, truly a head scratcher.

The sidewinder is not listed in the Scout Encylopedia, at least not that I can find.

Yet, its clearly a thing. Here is an old BP thread that discusses several sightings, of which, none of the sticker packages look like the image you have presented.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/scout-sidewinder.42902/

Usually Jim is a master at being ahead of the game on all of this stuff.

Although I have no doubt, someone more knowledgable on the 'Sidewinder' subject than myself will jump in and comment, I'm strongly suggesting you search the forum archives. There is a lot of great information here.

3. scout2000

4. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

5. scout2000

Well . . . . . I don't know

IH did a lot of speciality S2's. Some had some unique (and probably) irreplaceable parts. Others were just a sticker package.

From the comments that I have seen in the archives, one "possible" what-is-this solution, is that the Sidewinder is a custom vehicle done by a company to promote themselves. Till someone shares some better (and reputable) data, I have my doubts that this was anything from IH. And I also weigh heavily on Jim Allen/BinderBookie's comments regarding the vehicle serial number.

I have no stake in this, and I'm solely playing devil's advocate here, but regarding the OEM paint and stickers. Well.......those stickers are archived via this photo. They aren't that complicated, and can be reproduced.

Your comment about a previous owner painting it, again, I understand where your comment is coming from, but this vehicle looks like it had been rode hard and put away wet. Several hundred times. Its entirely possible that the new paint job you mention could have stopped rust and saved the vehicle, till someone who loved it enough to dump the money into it to bring it back to former glory.

And that's OK. I have a daily driver 800a that I've dumped so much money into, that I'll never be able to afford to sell it. But I like it for what it is, and what it's transforming into, and that is my choice.

OTOH, if you could take your time machine back into the late 1970's, when this vehicle was mint, and bring it here to 2019, are you suggesting that this vehicle in particular might have any additional value, over a similar, but non-sidewinder S2, in a similar state of excellence?

I don't know the answer to that question, and hopefully, someone else which full knowledge of what a Sidewinder S2 is will post here and educate us all. That qualifier out of the way, after reviewing existing Sidewinder threads in the BP forum archives, right now my educated guess would be no.

I've been wrong before, and I will be wrong again in the future. If you're seeing some added value that I'm missing, you certainly won't hurt my feelings in the slightest by setting me straight.

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

I'm sure it WILL be in the revised edition.

scout2000 likes this.
  7. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

The SSII Sidewinder is still on my BOLO list but beyond anecdotal reports that there were more a just one and they were centered around the Midwest (KC, MO in particular), I have no new information. Most likely it was something cooked up by a dealer or that particular Sales Region. Possibly a private company. As far as I can determine, the fangs of the Sidewinder do not reach back to corporate. No mention of it anywhere.

jeff campbell and scout2000 like this.
  8. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

WoW. Interesting ? !

9. bull

bull Binder Driver

Hickey Enterprises Sidewinder Winch may or may not have been involved...i never could find any connections (stickie associated) to the winch..ie: sorta you bought the winch and received a free lick and and stick for your truck...weird thing is those sidewinder sneks are no where near the midwest and you would think that stickie would be something conjoured up by dealers (or dealer) in phoenix region and not kansas city...the owner of that truck has indicated of no indication a winch ever being on his truck and that may be something to consider....i would like to see the LST from that truck..southwest DSO may provide another clue

Highly possible a winch dealer in KC was sitting on a bunch of those oddballs and needed to move them..not a bad marketing strategy to offer a stickie in the hopes of moving product..the hickey winches are not really a winch most would know of...truthfully i had never heard of them and would never have bought anything but warn back then..novel idea they way they wound the the cable though...anybody ever have a hinkey sidewinder?? and how did it perform???...be interesting to hear your thoughts

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  10. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

No indication the Sidewinder Scout had anything to do with Vic Hickey's Sidewinder winch. But I looked into that.. I have a lot of old magazines and several old Hickey catalogs. I pulled the LST and there were no clues in it. Midwest DSO and sold to the KC, MO factory dealer, one of five units in an order. It was a Gold Star Brush Buster package in Buckskin paint. Built pretty much near the end of 1977 production.

I have used Sidewinder winches and didn't like them. Real easy to get the cable wadded up. "Hidden" style winches are like that... you can't manage the cable very well so you are constantly kinking the wire rope, thus weakening it. Didn't iuse it enuf to see how durable it was but the "word" was, they weren't all that durable. Probably ok for occasional mediun-duty use but a hard core 'wheeler wouldn't want one.