Scout 2 lower tailgate weather-strip Install help needed

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by deerejohnb, Sep 15, 2020.

1. deerejohnb

deerejohnb Farmall Cub

I have a 79 Scout 2 and need to install the lower tailgate seal on the factory lip. Hw do I get the weather-strip on? Does the gate come off? It looks really tight to get the seal in without taking off the gate. Does anyone have advice or pics on how this looks or how to install it?

2. theloneduck

theloneduck Binder Driver

You can take the gate off but it is a bear and a half to put back on. I wouldn’t recommend it if at all possible.

3. Adam704

Adam704 Farmall Cub

If I can remember correctly, I lowered my tailgate, layed on the ground with a flash light and a rubber mallet. Slowly tapped the weather strip in place as I went. No issues since.

4. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Huh? I have a seal there, but it installs just by removing the aluminum trim piece. The lip of the seal sandwiches between the trim and the floor. That factory "lip" you're talking about. AFAIK there was never a seal pressed onto it as you describe. I got my Scout in '91 and there was no seal like you describe. Might be a recent re-purposing of that flange with more easily found seal material? I always assumed that, originally, that lip was just a little wall, so to speak, that this type of factory seal pressed against. I've had a seal like what's below since the early 90s. (I don't think the two types of seal here can coexist.)

Never the less, this kind of seal works really well and is a heck of a lot easier to install.

(I dislike Scoutparts dot com, but they do produce helpful images.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Mine is on a lip like Adam described.
    8976DB54-711B-4127-8529-027A2E016CE6.jpeg
    487E5CFE-8A57-43FE-93E4-35C884B668BF.jpeg
    500BED89-7EEC-49D9-9C2E-BCDD6F4F2174.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. Patrick Morris

Hmm. Yeah, I don't know if yours is original Rin. Has the look of later-made seals. Shiny crinkly plastic on the attachment side. But it could have replaced a similar one in that location. I would guess that either type seal the bottom of the gate really well. Meaning that mine does and this one looks GTG too. Just need to get through that installation process with the under-gate version.

For the heck of it, here's mine. You can see a gap there but it goes away when the gate is closed, and the seal is squished between the TG base and that flange you have your seal pressed onto.

Tailgate_seal.JPG

7. deerejohnb

deerejohnb Farmall Cub

8. Patrick Morris

Could be. Back when I bought mine, early '90s some time, it came from one of the Lightline vendors. I don't recall which one. I just asked for a seal and this is the one they sold me. Interesting.

I'm sure other vendors besides Scoutparts sells the one in the pics I posted. It looks identical, aside from the pressure sensitive adhesive strip. Mine didn't have that.

BTW, you shouldn't have to completely remove the tailgate, should more access be needed. You could just loosen the four hing bolts knock the tailgate up a little. The mounts in the body allow for adjustment/play in the tailgate. If you go that route, be sure to use spray paint or something to add witness marks around the hinges showing the correct return-to positions.

9. jordandoc

jordandoc Binder Driver

There was a changeover between 1978 and 1979. The newer seal had a metal screw down clamping molding rather than a press fit like the door seal.

10. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

That lower seal on mine is not original. I have a 1980 Traveler model and I did the tailgate mod. The lip for the seal was there and I used it to install the seal in my pictures. Pretty sure I found info on here about where to install.
    Before the liftgate to tailgate mod - my Scout had a seal and metal strip similar to Patrick’s. That held moisture and started rust back there plus it made the transition from tailgate to bed not flat/smooth. I personally like the lower installation that I have - the seal is out of the way when sliding things into and out of the bed.

11. Patrick Morris

This is interesting. Had me studying the online pics I posted above. From the placement of what I assume is an adhesive strip meant to bond the seal down onto the edge of bed, the fat hollow part of the seal would stick up, not down at that edge. When I installed my seal all those years ago there were no instructions, and no adhesive backing. So I installed my seal to "face down", so to speak. Seemed like the correct way to do it. And it's worked great. Catches in that gap really well when the gate is closed, compressing against the flange. Doesn't stick up "proud" either obviously since it turns down.

Tailgate_seal2.JPG

12. theloneduck

theloneduck Binder Driver

Interesting. I’ll have to check mine but as I recall it was just a rubber O tube glued in place.