Santa brought me a new engine ...

Discussion in 'Sonora Desert Scouts (Arizona)' started by Eric Jouse, Dec 25, 2016.

1. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

With all the time and effort you have in the engine how about a dyno run? If you come down here it will make more power (lower altitude) and I'll put my Scout on it too.

2. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

(Soon, but back on the eddy current dyno)

3. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

Well, I thought I would the pictures of new gear that just arrived.

After break-in and the initial oil change, I went 4-wheeling into Redington Pass, just outside of Tucson here. Everything went well on the way in: Running in low on some back roads, it got hot. Then the ticky-ticky-ticky began, with a accompanying low of power as I headed back to town. Removing the valve covers, the source became apparent: The studded ball (mating with the cup of the pushrods) had been driven into the arm, creating a gap that the hydraulic lifters could not make up.

So, I called Rocker Arms Unlimited (Redding CA) - who had refurbished the original assemblies: No problem, they would swap out the stamped IN88S9 arms (and assembly) for NOS IN88C9 (cast) arms. Wow. Hats off to standing behind their products. The cast arms are much more robust in appearance, and have oilers where the stamped arms did not.
    V304 Nine Post Rockers IN88S9.jpg V304 Nine Post Rockers IN88C9.JPG

4. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

I also thought it might be nice to share these pictures of the FI Tech fuel injection, on top, and the South Bend Kevlar clutch, below.
    FiTechFuelInjection.JPG SouthBend Kevlar Clutch.JPG

5. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

So what possessed you to ditch the old mechanical carb and get into the jet age with the electronic FI?

6. Eric Jouse

Eric Jouse Farmall Cub

Well, the fuel tends to "boil" when running over rough terrain in low gear. The water temp gets up to 210 or so, and the front bowl of the carb just starts percolating. I was having trouble keeping the A/F fuel ratio above 10:1. Last time I did the run from Mimbres to Winston NM, I consumed 20 gallons - I'd like to get that number down. Also, it's a hard start when its hot 'cause the air filter fills up with gas vapor, and when going thru the emission check in June.

The other factor is that is time to try mechanical secondaries. I really like the high signal Offroad Avenger, but it is hard to tune the secondary opening curve. It's fairly "obvious" when the secondaries begin to flow - not so much because there is a "surge", but more because the resonance of the intake and flow distribution inside re-adjust.

Just before shut-down last fall, I was working with anti-reversion plates below the carb stack, and at the collector. I was thinking it was time to change the carb, but did not know to what. I saw this compact i four barrel FI with all the right features, and made the decision.

One worry: This this thing going to fry when I weld on the frame.