Sand dunes in June?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Binders' started by _CJ, Apr 8, 2007.

1. _CJ

_CJ Guest

Looking to get a group of IH vehicles together for a trip from Colorado Springs to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument via Medano Pass, then heading back over the mountains via Hayden Pass.

Anyone interested? Maybe the second weekend of June? That should give everyone (especially me) time to get their rig ready for the trip.

2. Apoch

Apoch Farmall Cub

I can't do the second weekend but i am definitely down to go. Maybe the third weekend?

3. _CJ

_CJ Guest

I could do the third weekend (June 16th or 17th) if that works better for the group.

Didn't want to do the first weekend because it's right after Memorial weekend and people will be burned out. Don't want to do the fourth weekend because it's so close to the 4th of July and people probably don't want to stack weekends like that...at least I don't.

4. 4x4gal

4x4gal Farmall Cub

Thinking we might be able to make it if we can get the vehicles up and running :D I'll put it in the calendar!!

5. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Id be game, not sure if I'd have a nice IH for the trip but I'll run my old and rusty scout II.

6. J.Pepe

J.Pepe Farmall Cub

You can use (buy) mine..........for a price :D

7. Brian Dalton

Brian Dalton Your Low Post Leader Since 1999

Oh sure...I move away to the left coast, and suddenly everybody wants to go wheeling!! :p

8. J.Pepe

J.Pepe Farmall Cub

You out at 14th now?

9. Brian Dalton

Brian Dalton Your Low Post Leader Since 1999

Yeah.... :( I just left this place 19 months ago with my pants on fire. Nothing like buying a house, then being told you're moving, then selling it, living in a rental, moving here, living in a rental, now I am moving on Base around 12 May. We really haven't settled in the last two years. I could possible be here 4 years this time! I only need two years to volunteer for a special duty, and maybe get out of here again. Poor Scout has been on the back burner so long, it's wrong.

10. J.Pepe

J.Pepe Farmall Cub

I'll let you know if I head out there TDY - we'll get an adult beverage.

Been trying to avoid it for the past month :p

11. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

that sounds like fun, mine should be ready by then.

12. _CJ

_CJ Guest

Been doing a little reading in different guide books about the passes, and one of them says hayden pass is steep and difficult with large rocks.. :eek: But another one says it's moderate at best.. :confused:

Anyone ever done these passes before? I plan to have my 3" lift installed by then, but don't know if I'll get my low gear set installed in the Dana20. Steep and rocky with 3.07's is not fun.

13. RD Durham

RD Durham High Wheeler

I have been talking to a couple of other Scout owners about doing Medano Pass and the sand dunes sometime in June so that might work out. Just need to get the diesel Traveler back into one piece.

As for the passes, you only have Hayden and Medano passes that go over the Sangre de Cristo mountains that are open to vehicle travel. On a scale of one to ten Hayden is probably a five or six. Nothing extremely difficult but after the spring thaw you might find some washouts. Medano can usually be run in a stock vehicle, but you have several stream crossings and in the spring it's hard to say what you'd find.

14. Damian Grihalva

Big thing for me is the foster kids. Doubt I can truck along 5 little ones and still have a good time.

15. 69scout

69scout Farmall Cub

how far is this for us denver folk. I wanna go to some sand dunes

16. _CJ

_CJ Guest

Medano pass is about 1-1.5 hours from the springs, down by Westcliffe. From there, probably looking at six? hours to cross the pass, go through the sand dunes, then come back over Hayden pass. Hayden pass drops down to hwy 50 just west of Canon City which is about 1-1.5 hours from the springs. (all times have been adjusted to Scout time). So depending on where you are in Denver, you're probably looking at a solid twelve hours (of fun and excitement!) round trip.

This thing is really going to be a crunch for me to get ready. Anyone want to push it off till July or August?

17. Damian Grihalva

I'm not apposed to pushing it off. I have a stock scout now, and if I don't get off my butt, I'll have a stock scout for the trip. Will it make it?

18. _CJ

_CJ Guest

Looks like June is officially out for me. Too much work to get the Scout done by then, and the wife has informed me that we have other plans.

How about late July early August? Might be a better time anyhow considering the spring snowmelt and steam crossings. :drown: