Safe towing on car dolly

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Michael1971, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:33 PM.

1. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

Quick question for you guys, is it safe to tow a non running questionable scout that has been sitting for 25 years with a car dolly? I'm just wonder about it messing with the rear axel, or causing damage to the engine that is in unknown condition.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Assuming you could disconnect the rear drive shaft:
    If you don't know anything about the condition of the differential, the wheel bearings or even the brakes, and won't be able to do any checks of them beforehand, I would recommend against doing so. What if the tires are brittle and would fall apart, or the brake hardware had rusted apart and shoes were hanging loose so could grab, or the differential gears had already been trashed, or part of a broken tooth were loose inside...
    Trustworthy information from the seller might be able to mitigate some of these worries, and the ability to check the condition of these items and/or replace rear wheels would certainly do so.

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

How far is the tow? If you had a good pair of roller tires already mounted on rims that would fit, you could address the potential rotten tire situation on the rears, but like Dana mentioned, wheel bearings are a real concern on these Scouts and not something you can easily inspect. Significant disassembly is required beforehand and when you go that far, you may as well install new bearings and seals. Do yourself and other motorists you may encounter a favor and load it onto a 16 foot tandem axle trailer in good state of repair.

RinTX likes this.
  4. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Unless you can inspect and service the rear wheel bearings and brakes you have a very good chance of a tire locking up or the entire axle shaft with wheel exiting the housing.

Mark Aycock likes this.
  5. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

6. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the replies, I'm thinking I'm going to try to rent a u-haul trailer for it, I was hoping to use a dolly because the only trailer I have is a 35ft tri-axle goose neck flat bed, which is slight overkill. And as you guys have made clear there are wayyy to many variables to check out on a scout in the woods. Thanks again.

7. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

Uhaul trailer rental is pretty cheap. That’s the way I would go regardless.

SR2dude likes this.