Sad Scout--death rattle?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by David Banner, Oct 2, 2015.

1. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Your crank can be saved the same way they do stroked cranks. Have a pro weld up some new metal on the torn up journal, then turn it to match the others. But it might be cheaper just to buy a new crank. In any case, you'll want to figure out why that one failed catastrophically. Maybe the oil feed hole in the crank blocked up at that location?

In the meantime, if you decide to just put it back together to let folks test drive the 727, take that plug out so the piston is just sliding, not working against compression. I suppose you could also remove the pushrod from the intake valve on that cylinder too, so the dead cylinder is not getting any fumes to pump out into your engine compartment through the empty spark plug hole. This is a "crawl home" trick that can save you if you really, REALLY need to go a few more miles on a bad rod bearing.

2. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Here is the SV oil diagram , Just for reference
    345 oiling.jpg

3. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=149647

Tempting--only 'cause I don't like having it sit un-mobile while I decide it's fate...

There's a turned crank (in denver) on flea-bay for $285. I'd need two new rods w/caps $60. A rebuild kit ~$250 (rings, bearings, and gaskets).
    So maybe I can have this engine back together for only $700...

4. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I spun a rod bearing in a Jeep J-20 pickup with the Jeep 360 engine. I needed it mobile too, so my solution was to crocus cloth the crank (which wasn't as bad as yours) and use plastigauge and an assortment of bearing inserts (.005, .010, .020 undersize) to get close to the stock clearance. It ran, no knocks, for a good long time, but I sure would not have wanted to take off for a 200 mile trip in it. I did the same thing on a 350 Chevy and it also ran long enough to drive to a buddy's house where we swapped it out.
    If'n it was me, I'd spend the extra money and have the block tanked, all the oil passage plugs pulled, and make sure oil is moving everywhere it's supposed to. It would be a total depression fest to put it back together and wipe the new crank and rods, this is assuming you can't find a readily apparent reason for the failure on teardown.

5. David Banner

It's all back together with two 1ΒΌ" wide bands of leather where the 5&6 rod bearings used to be. To my surprise the crank cleaned up pretty nicely with crocus cloth--all the blued burnt appearance is gone and only the worst groove remains so maybe this crank is salvageable... At least the sharp metal on metal knock is now reduced to a thunk, thunk when I start it up. Fresh oil & filter, it's making 45psi so at least no further damage as I move it around the yard to shuffle projects...
    I mostly wanted to see if this kinda fix would be worth trying in the field--might be better than being towed off (down... :sweatdrop: ) a mountain... I'll track minutes/miles of run time with this temp-fix.

Dennis--I completely agree with you--I'd want the block tanked and I'd wanna improve the drain-back in the heads etc...
    That means ~$1000 to re-new this engine--I can't see it happening... Used mill for $500 that I can't trust--not too excited about that either...

Good thing I don't live in the snow-belt of CO anymore--nothing to force a hasty decision I'd later regret...

6. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

oh awesome ..... I got home once with panty hose as a belt .... your fix is great ..... Matt

7. David Banner

I don't know...
    We're up to 5minutes and twenty feet. :banana:
    In all seriousness though--at idle you don't hear any knock--it would make for a much more comfortable and safer tow(strap) off the trail having power steering and brakes working and not making the damage any worse.