Ros

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by bobzoller, Feb 23, 2016.

1. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Hi folks! I've been lurking in these (and other) scout forums on and off for about 15 years. ~12 years ago I acquired 2 scout 80s in various states of disrepair, with the best intentions of combining them to make a solid daily driver. Then I changed jobs, moved from TX to CA, and as those of you who live in SF know, garage space is mostly a luxury for the 1%... so we left TX and the scouts stayed.

Fast forward to today. We now live a bit further north in Petaluma, CA and have a nice big garage... so I've been passively watching for the right scout to come along. Last week I spotted this little beauty on Craigslist. A bit pricey, but while mechanically inclined, I didn't want to make the mistake of taking on too much in my first real project again.

So Ros (LST says Roswell, NM) here is nearly rust free, as far as I can tell nearly all original, and mechanically in great shape. My goal is to take her from 80% to 90%. I don't intend to create a show vehicle of course... what I want is a rig that is clean, reliable, and generally something that I'd be proud (and not worried) to have my wife or daughter (when she's old enough to drive) use as their daily driver.

Project board: https://trello.com/b/fjOgDAXQ/ros

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

First question: I expected to see the gear ratio on the LST (attached to my first post), but all it says is, "RA23 SGL RED R AXLE" ... anyone know what gear ratio it had originally?

3. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

That's a great looking Scout, Bob. Good find. Also, hats off to you for getting your daughter interested in the classics. My goal is to have my daughter, who is 12 now, drive my Scout as well. Gives me lots of motivation.
    Good luck.

4. CazNeck79

CazNeck79 Binder Driver

Nice scout! Gear ratio is 4.27

Big Ed likes this.
  5. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Looks like it's coming along nicely, Corey! I'm lucky that my girls are naturally into it... my daughter (4) just wishes the scout was a "camper van". Think mom may eventually get a VW of some sort and solve that problem! Air cooled engines, anyone??

I wish I had the time (and knowledgeable buddies) to use my scout to learn metal working, welding, etc... I have basically zero experience with all that. For now I'll try and learn everything I can about the mechanical and finishing touches, and (hopefully) save the tougher stuff for the next project. Two days in and I'm already thinking about the next project ;)

6. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

thanks!

7. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Nice, clean find!

8. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

I finally got out to change the fluids today. Everything went fine until reinstalling the diff covers. I broke one bolt off in the rear (the long one that also secured the brake line T fitting), and almost another in the front (luckily I was now familiar with the sensation of a twisting bolt and stopped before it sheared off).

So now I get to learn about left handed drill bits and easy outs :(

I think I'm extra frustrated because I went the extra mile and used a torque wrench... Maybe I should just stick to the 1 past grunt method ;)

30 ft/lb is correct, right? Are the bolts just that tired that I had this happen twice?

I'm thinking I'll replace all the bolts now, because I'm already going to take them all out and redo the right stuff gasket since both dried with a missing bolt.

9. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Had to drop the muffler to get access to drill the sheared bolt. Drilled a hole and tried an easy out, but it was a smallish one and I was pretty sure I would twist it off so I stopped. I'll try the next size up tomorrow.

I did go ahead and pull and clean both covers again, which was good because the rear gasket didn't form properly... left a big gap at the bottom. So I'll get a second try at everything!

Would have been nice to have it all go smooth, but I'm learning left and right... And I love that too.

10. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Next size up easy out snapped. Sorta expected it at this point. A friend suggested welding a nut onto the 1/4" that's sticking out, so I've got a guy coming over on Tuesday to help.

11. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Success! My mood has improved dramatically.

Why yes that is a big washer welded to the broken stud!

[​IMG]

chopperroxie likes this.
  12. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Finished changing all the drivetrain fluids. Milestone, finally! Favorite moment: buying 90w GL1 labeled "Ford tractor transmission fluid" from tractor supply.

Next I'm going to do a tune-up. I've been learning tons from reading online, but my manuals from binderbooks came in yesterday and made things even clearer.

It's developed some roughness at warm idle and will die without some choke. I realize that may just be the extra throttle and not the mixture, so hopefully my curb idle is just off. As I learn, I also realized I flooded it pretty horribly one day and could have fouled spark plugs in the process.

13. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Started the tune up today.

I roughly verified TDC (stick method), which point on the cap it was pointed at (1), and verified the wires were in the right order. Rerouted 5 & 7 away from each other.

Also found out I have the Holley dist w/curved points. No felt in the cam shaft. Bits of the plastic points cover under the base plate. Endplay seems ~< 1/16", which I imagine is fine but will look up again later. Almost no side to side play. I plan to do the pertronix conversion soon. Got dark so I'll finish the tune up another day.

I have the V-266E so I decided to pull the PCV valve off and learn about that. I have the serviceable one so I serviced it. The valve seemed fine, but the inlet, outlet, and hoses were pretty restricted with gunk. Will figure out replacements for the hoses. In learning about that system, I realized my vented oil cap has not been properly seated for a while, and definitely needs a new gasket.

Thoughts:
    - how to service the oil bath air cleaner (how do I get at and clean the filter?)
    - was the loose oil cap causing the warm idle problem?
    - source a new PCV hose and oil cap vent hose

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

tried to replace the molded PCV hoses with fuel line as discussed elsewhere, but couldn't get the angle to work without pinching the hose. ended up cleaning them up instead... crankcase hose seems 100% fine, air cleaner hose has a crack in it that I tried (unsuccessfully I think) to patch it using contact cement. meh?

Got it all back together and took her for a spin this weekend. Went great, family was stoked. Still died at idle once. (I had tweaked the curb idle but haven't done the tune up yet) Noticed a puddle of oil on the crankcase below the PCV valve after we parked. Perhaps the hose leaked or it spilled out of the oil bath air cleaner (which I just topped off).

15. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Remember that with the IH V-8s you need to time off cylinder 8, not 1.

scout2000 likes this.
  16. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Thanks Packerrailway.

Did the tune up today! Got the dwell set easy enough. I've got the V-266E so I was going for 2atdc, but it was missing and running really rough. I ended up going by ear, and it seemed happy at 4btdc. Does this mean I don't have the E? (I do have the E placard on the firewall) I don't have an air pump, which it seems some (all?) do, so maybe that's what's going on? If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it!

So I kept it at 4btdc and did my best to adjust the mixture. Lean best idle using RPM. Again, I wasn't having much luck doing it by the numbers, so I went by ear. Set the curb idle for a hair over the 700 spec (266E spec ... and unlike the timing it didn't seem happy at the lower 266 non-E spec).

What a difference! Cold starts used to take full choke until it was fully warm (140), but now I can give it 1/4-1/2 for a 2-3 minutes and then push it in. Also it never once died at a light!

I've got the pertronix ii coming in next week now that I feel like it's running well on the points. I'll also do a new coil, plugs and wires.

After that I'd like to do a vanity project -- do something to make it less bumpy, less noisy, or less stinky. My wife votes less stinky, my daughter votes less bouncy. (though she may have misunderstood and meant she likes it bouncy!) I'm voting less stinky too.

I get a lot of gas smell when the tank is topped off, going around corners, the usual. PO put fresh non-vented gas caps on, so I'm sure it's leaking from the adapter like others. So I'll grab the BCB adapters to fix that.

Anything to help with the fact that I can't fill it up without overflowing? Filler hoses seem like good rubber.. Vent hoses at the top.

There are also a number of largish holes in the firewall, and I feel like I'm getting extra engine gases in the cab, mostly at idle. Perhaps I'll tape them off just to verify I can tell a difference, and then figure out what the right solution is.

Oh -- and just in case I thought today was too perfect -- as I pulled in tonight and waited for the garage door to open, my headlights (and gauge lights) went out. Turned them on and off but nothing. I pulled in, checked once more, and they worked. I think the Scout just wants more time with me.

17. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Pertronix is in, along with new wires, new plugs, and a new coil. Fired her up only to find the timing severely advanced. Turns out I wired up the cap wrong. Didn't have time to finish tonight, but it should go fast when I can sneak away next.

Haven't been able to bring myself to order the full fuel filler parts yet -- I'd like to go stock necks but seems a shame to redo it and still burp gas every time I fill up. (Cali pumps are no help with this vintage, no matter what silly trick angle I try.) Not sure if I'd be biting off more than I can chew to do the pick-a-part for a late model filler neck mod, but it seems tempting.

I did start to feel like I knew what I was doing tonight. When the timing was off and knowing to check the rotor position at TDC ... Old dog new tricks!

18. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

In case there's anything to learn from my old plugs, here's a pic. (top left is cylinder 8, like you're looking under the hood)

[​IMG]

19. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Rookie mistakes was the theme of the evening.

I thought I was so smart checking the rotor position at TDC... that works a lot better if you're rotating the engine in the proper direction!!

Got it all buttoned up and could not get it to turn over... rotor was not fully seated.

Next problem? The pertronix advanced the timing so much I could not physically turn the distributor far enough. So I learned about moving the spark plug wires over one. (did it backwards first, of course) Cool thing is that made my #1 wire match with the #1 marking on the cap. It's the little things.

Got the timing set to right at TDC despite the spec being 2ATDC... just seemed happier there. Hooked up a vacuum gauge and did the mixture that way -- much easier than using the idle speed.

End result? Purring like a kitten. I feel like I want to go and see if I can get the timing right on at 2ATDC, but I'm going to enjoy my work for a day or two first.

jiman23 likes this.
  20. bobzoller

bobzoller Farmall Cub

Long time no update. Here's what's been going on.

Swapped in the driver's side fuel neck, no-leak adapter, and chrome cap from BCB. It really is a nice kit. No more leaking around corners, and generally less gas smell than before.

Went to do the passenger side but can see it was leaking from the sender gasket, so I'll fix that first. Debating on pulling the whole tank and getting it steamed while I'm in there, but with the move coming up I think it'll have to wait.

I broke down and had a shop down the street do the body bushings and spring bushings for me. Don't ask what it cost. Again, really wanted it done before we move and I don't have the tools for that anyway. I get it back tomorrow, and I'm really hoping I can tell a big difference!

Moving? Moving. We're moving to Maui and Ros is coming with. She boards the boat on Monday. I hear horror stories about that salty sea air, but I'm hoping for the best. I hear there are at least a few binders in Hawaii... I'll be on the lookout.