Rocker replacement questions on SSII

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by msserge302, Mar 13, 2017.

1. msserge302

msserge302 Farmall Cub

Hello everyone. I have sourced some doglegs and am getting ready to start the rocker repair. I have a couple of questions for anyone that has done this before.
    1. I have bad door alignment on the driver side, it is obvious that the body mounts are shoot. Should I replace them before I start the rockers or just weld up bracing. In the door frame or both?

2. I want to replace the inner rocker while I am at it. I can't seem to find inners. Is there an alternative metal that people use. Maybe a thicker channel?

3. Should I go ahead and weld bracing throughout the tube to try to keep everything in line?

Thanks for the input.

2. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

You might want to repost this question on the General IH Tech part of this Forum. It will get more eyeballs there than here. I know there are a goodly number of "rust-meisters" there that should have useful advice. Good luck.

3. michael sharp

michael sharp Farmall Cub

Do a google search for ssII rocker repair. And it will get you on to some good BP threads. You need the doors to fit (in all directions) before you weld it all up. When I weld up my trucks (they don't make part, you do) I use thicker metal (I'm not a Co. trying to cut corners/cost) its easier to weld(weld from the thick to the thin), stronger, and it lasts longer and a few extra lbs doesn't bother me. Oh ya brace the hell out of it, make sure it straight(write it down, take notes, take pics(and post) then weld it.Michael