RnD Fabrication warning

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Canderson77, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Having read the whole thread again, I don't get the sense that the hard feelings were on both sides, rather that Sparky was probably just disappointed. Also seems to me that anyone who owns these old vehicles, even younger ones and particularly those who frequents this site, should have had some idea about variations in equipment, problems getting parts, sometimes having NOS parts fit right, etc. both due to the custom-ordered nature of the originals, and more so, to possible modifications since then. My advise would be to not jump to quick assumptions of fault or motivation; now-a-days, with communication so easy, it should be simple to find out what's going on and fix the problem, [except in that (one) rare case where communication doesn't work and ample history does show exorbitant prices and exceedingly poor customer service].
    That seems more than reasonable to me.​

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Darrel likes this.
  2. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

A little more input.

When I converted my 1969 1200 from 2WD to 4WD, the original radiator still fit. Nothing changed in the front end. However, mine didn't have air conditioning. It appears to me that the fitment issue on the upper water horn is an issue related to the mitered and welded horn. If it had been made from a formed piece of tubing like the original water horn was, it wouldn't have been an issue. Close, yes, but not actually touching the AC clutch.

Regarding the return of the radiator to RnD, I side with RnD on that. I have to use them all the time in my work, grudgingly. UPS and FedEx both blow goats. They charge exorbitant shipping costs; and then guarantee nothing, not delivery, not being damage-free, and definitely not a replacement or reimbursement unless you pay the high fee for additional insurance. I look for any reason to not use them if there is any alternative. It sucks that the Customer had to deal with that BS, but that is a result of the poor customer service of the Carrier, not the Vendor.

I don't know how to interpret the steering box fitment issue. It does concern me, as a friend of mine needs to get a new radiator. I was going to recommend an aluminum one, but based upon what I see, I am not so sure now. The lower water horn does not look the same as on his '75 200. Plus, he does have AC.

SparkyBinder, have you made any changes to the water horns since this issue was originally posted?

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

This hobby we're involved in is rife with learning opportunities, not only for the vehicle owners, but also for the vendors who offer parts to fit them. I stand by my initial remarks from three years ago. Having re-read everything also, I don't feel anything I stated is in need of revision. Different folks have different perspectives and that's fine. The fact that it took eight years and hundreds of units produced before this issue cropped up was pure DAL. It was bound to happen eventually. Some HINDSIGHT inspired questions that might be of use in the future...
    Is the test mule being used to develop the part, factory original where it matters to us?
    Is the configuration of this test mule identical where it matters to us, as all other vehicles produced by that manufacturer during the model year range that we plan to make this part available?
    What potential variations and equipment layout differences might prove problematic to our proposed design?
    How do we go about finding the right answers to the above questions?