Rmihr

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Shiner-Bock-Beer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. willy

willy Binder Driver

Dave , thats sad news, we were counting on feeding you some breakfast, I will try to look you up next time we visit the kid's in Sturgis.

2. Eldon McFarling

Eldon McFarling Farmall Cub

Friends,

I have some bad news to report. One of the finest IH vehicles in the clan has bit the dust on the trip to RMIHR 07.:(

[​IMG]

I spoke with Allan E a short while ago, it seems like the breakdowns on the road have been a big part of the fun in making the trip to RMIHR . The bus had a problem with the stud in the oil filter header, it worked loose and lost most of the oil. Allan got that problem taken care of and pressed on. A couple hours later the air compressor seized up causing the bolts in the mount to shear off. While limping to town to fix the compressor problem the engine locked up. :(:eek:

[​IMG]

The location was near Gallup, NM. Allan and family are doing OK, and will get a U-haul to haul their gear back home. They will not be making the rest of the trip to Salida this year. The Ericson family and the bus will be missed.

It sounds like someone in the area can get a good deal on a nice Loadstar bus with a blown engine if interested.

Eldon

Code:
    <embed src="http://static.ning.com/rmihr1/widgets/index/swf/badge.swf?v=1.8%3A28" quality="high" scale="noscale" salign="lt" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#ffffff" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="networkUrl=http%3A%2F%2Frmihr1.ning.com%2F&panel=user&username=ihdiesel&avatarUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.ning.com%2Ficons%2Fprofile%2F767393%3Fdefault%3D767393%26width%3D48%26height%3D48&iAmMemberText=JOIN THE NETWORK%3A&configXmlUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ning.com%2Frmihr1%2Finstances%2Fmain%2Fembeddable%2Fbadge-config.xml%3Ft%3D1184881917" height="64" width="207">
    RMIHR Network
    http://rmihr1.ning.com/

3. patientlycrawling

patientlycrawling Farmall Cub

If it wasn't for the fact that they did away with homesteading, I'd be going this year for sure.

The Colorado Rockies are amazing, and I'm a "wild west" enthusiast who picked up a copy of Men to Match My Mountains, a thick hardback that tells of all the early settlements from Bent's Fort to Fort Ross.

Not to take away from the beauty of the mountains, but does anyone feel like housing a hippie guitarist with an army green SSII?

I chop wood priddy good, from what dem 'uns been saying.

I sometimes wonder about the possibilies of a Scout II with one bucket seat, one single-sized mattress, and one pot-bellied woodstove... I mean, I am just one guy.

One of these days, guys, I will end up getting to one of these. But the Mississippi is a long ways away, from what they tell me... How many gas tanks would I have to install? :death:

It's awesome looking at the pictures and such from these big meetups, and I look forward to hearing of this one.

4. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

Oh :censored: , That was a nice bus. Run the pull during the day and take everyone out for ice cream in the evening. The McLean family will observe a moment of silence.

We can not go this year. I need to do some work on the pickup, stop leak is no longer holding back the flow out of the power steering box.

5. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Saw the Wyoming/Montana contingent off this Morning, I'll be stuck hiking in the Absorokas for the next 2 weeks for work, so no go for me. Glad to see how many folks are heading out to have some fun. Good Luck and safe travels to all. Allen, sorry about your bus troubles. Can't wait to see pics!

Ryan

6. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Dang! I was looking forward to the ice cream run in the bus :(

I guess we'll have to car, I mean, TRUCK pool into town.

Glad the family is OK though.

Roy

7. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

I'll be there tomorrow (Sat), but not as a vendor. Nothing really to show.

8. Tom Mandera

Tom Mandera Dreams of Cub Cadets

Met Ryan yesterday morning and spent the day driving with the Cunningham's.. saw Will is here already, and Cavenders are busy setting things up.

Already uploading some pictures and will upload more over the weekend - hotel has a wireless connection.

Photo Album

9. rlireland

Arrived about 3:30pm today. Spotted a 46 KB2 in Taos, NM on the way up. Stopped for lunch today in a park in Alamosa. Went downtown for dinner at Amica's.
    More pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

what time are you leaving, i'll watch for you.

11. rlireland

More photos of today's show and shine at RMIHR can be seen here.

Sorry. This should be a public access link to the photo album. Photos of Monday's trail run to Elkhorn have been uploaded.

Roy

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  12. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

that just goes to the sign in page. :confused:

13. gietl

gietl Farmall Cub

I didn't get my work done on the Scout in time so I made a 300 mile round trip day trip to RMIHR today on my BMW. I hadn't been to the show in a couple years due to date conflicts and other assorted personal reasons.

It was a little sad to see how small the show was and only one vendor appears to have been setup. Still, as always RMIHR is a great show and the rigs present were just as fantastic.

It was great for me because I got to see new rigs at the show and I was able to track down some friends with both their sport tops!

Here is a link to the pictures (click the picture) I took, probably duplicate of what's posted above. If anyone needs a high res version of a picture let me know.

[​IMG]

PS.. Images are still uploading so it could be a little slow.

14. Tom Mandera

I took over 200 pictures today.. uploading

15. Tom Mandera

I took over 200 pictures today.. uploading 'em right now.. see them Here

16. rlireland

Trail run report: Elkhorn

Leader: Curtis Hartshorn, Scout Terra(George and Karen Smith riding along)
    Roy Ireland, Scout 800A
    Tim Hackathorn, Scout 800
    Eldon McFarling, Scout II Traveler Diesel
    Tom Mandera, Scout II
    Mark Mackin, 1210 Pickup

My scout started out running fine from the fairgrounds to the turn off to the trail on US 285. After we'd locked in our hubs and driven about 1/2 hour, my engine quit with vapor lock. Actually, I think the problem was compounded by high altitude and oxygenated gas because I didn't have the problem running in Tucson a couple months ago. Anyway, we tried wrapping a wet rag around the fuel filter next to the carburetor and zip-tying the rubber fuel line away from heat sources like the heads, manifold and water tubes. Ran another 20 minutes and quit again. This time, we tried wrapping the fuel line with some insulated bubble wrap from Tom's floor. Ran another 20 min and stopped. This time, we decided to remove the hood to allow engine compartment heat to escape. Eldon also added a couple cups of diesel to my gas at this point. We continued to run until the grade got pretty steep. My engine kept running but the Borg Warner automatic started slipping and I couldn't make any headway up the trail. Tom threw on a tow strap and we got towed to the first summit. Then, it was downhill (both legs were very tired from braking on the way down!) to a junction. One way went back to Hiway 285 and the other was another trail to a higher summit. The two Scout 800s decided we had better return and the rest of the group went on to the summit.
    Despite the problems with my Scout, it was still an enjoyable time with folks who were willing to be patient and lend a hand/tools/advise whenever necessary.
    The first thing I'm going to do when I get a chance is to install an electric fuel pump. Front discs are a close second.
    Tom took some photos on the trail and he should have them posted in a day or two.

Now, it's on to Moab for some (hopefully) uneventful red rocks running.

Roy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  17. rlireland

Try this link: Clicky

Roy

18. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

:thumbs up: :thumbs up:

19. Tom Mandera

Photos are uploading right now from the hotel in Grand Junction - see my link earlier.

Roy - how long do you plan to be in Moab? We're heading that way on Saturday morning for a day or so before heading home.

20. rlireland

We're heading over on Wednesday and will spend a couple of days driving around Arches and Canyonlands NPs. If I can keep the Scout running, we might get some good shots with some spectacular scenery in the background. We're leaving Saturday to drive down to Orderville Utah to visit my son. Sorry we'll miss you.

Roy