Rewind fuel sender

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by walkersscout, May 17, 2019.

1. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I have had one of my fuel senders go bad. I thought I would just order a new one, but they are not the same and they are not cheap. I had the thought of rewinding it. I have found a source for the NiChrome resistance wire, but need to find the insulating film. Only problem is I am not sure even what to call it to search for it. Any ideas? Anyone else rewind theirs?

2. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

What about kapton tape? I'm not sure how polyimide handles gasoline though.
    Edit:
    A quick google search comes up with yes, it handles nearly any organic solvents.

3. walkersscout

Thanks, it looks to be a good candidate. I need to run some gas out of the tank so I can measure the wire gage. Looks like I can get the tape on amazon.

4. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

You can also get thicker versions in 8.5x11" sheets that are sold for lining the beds on 3d printers. As for the tape, the adhesive should not be an issue. Its a tiny amount and will just wash away in the gasoline

5. walkersscout

I have been tinkering with two different bad fuel senders. They are very difficult to troubleshoot as it is difficult to see the contact arm where it rides on the resistance wire windings. After some trial and error I found that it is not generally the contact arm or a broken wire, but rather that the enamel has come off the wire, causing a short run of resistance. It seems to cause issues as the contactor rides on the wires.

So, to rewind them the rivet and screw need to be removed so the bakalite piece can be accessed. Then it takes roughly 52" of wire wound around it and resecured to the ends and reassembled. The wire is a 36 gauge enameled NiChrome, looks like 1000' spools, maybe 500'. Also likely need the new insulation pieces and nitrile oring. Sounds simple, but I suspect it is more than I want to get involved in.

So, what to do to fix my sender without spending $60 plus the ride for a new aftermarket unit? Looks like Ford up until 1986 as well as Mopar and AMC all used the same ohm range until the mid 80s. Ford looks the most promising, mostly because they used the same style little can. A Ford Fairlane looks like it could be a pretty adaptable unit. The flange and rod length are wrong, but fairly easy to hack that. They can be had for $24. Still more than I'd like to pay for experiments. The universal senders seem to be the wrong ohm range in general.

6. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

There are universals that are correct

7. walkersscout

I have found one or two, but the price was near the same as buying a replacement from the IH guys. I you see one I would be interested in looking at it.

8. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

I did a quick search and came up with the lower one shown at the link below. The price is reasonable if it fits or can easily be modified to function properly. I didn't check shipping costs.
    http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/mode=prod/prd276.htm
    Summit also lists some, one looking like the above one, the other fitting a VW beetle and looking more like a stock Scout unit:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-221012

9. walkersscout

Yeah, $17 for the ride, at that point it is cost effective to just order the right one.really the price would need to be $20 shipped in order to make it a realistic alternative. Those $16 universal units are attractive for this, just the wrong ohm range.

10. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Suppose you cleaned up one with the shorting problem and then sprayed it with some insulating epoxy. Let it cure partly and move the arm so the contact cleans the epoxy from the wires at the points needed, while it remains fully intact everywhere else.
    I didn't see exactly what I wanted in a quick search, and the few things I did find that looked correct were ridiculously priced. I don't know it this would be gas resistant:
    https://www.eis-inc.com/enamel-paint/p-bigred
    I think I have cans of stuff that would work but that I probably got free from the Toxic Waste Warehouse long ago so have no idea about their current availability or cost.