Restoring a scout for the Wife

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by Rivrat, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Rivrat

Rivrat Farmall Cub

Hello all,
    New here. I'm planning on building a scout for my wife's 35th birthday. She has always liked the scouts and even named her dog Scout. This is going to be a surprise for her and have a 25k budget. I'm selling my toy, 1949 chevy fleetline to pay for this one. She has always liked the Rallyes in the orange and blue. My question is for the ones that have started from scratch. Is it better to buy one that is mostly put together, drives, stops, decent interior and start there or start from a solid straight little rust beater that I have been seeing going for 4-5k and redo everything. I'm just afraid the numbers are going to higher than my Budget.

My plans are plaid interior. Terracotta orange with Rallye stripes, 4in lift and 33s, A.C. and was thinking of a 5.3 LS and 5 spd auto.

My reasoning for the LS motor is because her biggest pet peeve with old cars is being stranded. Which I have been with her many a times in my old cars and it's not fun. I want something she can get in and go and drive it 200 miles one way and not even think about it. I have found a decent diesel Scout but don't know if I should leave it for the pureists. What is the consensus on the Diesel in the scout world. Are they good or are people trashing them and putting the gas motor in them.

2. winchested

winchested Farmall Cub

You will spend far more building one than buying one already done likely.

Mark Aycock likes this.
  3. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Welcome to the board. I always advise people to find the most rust free body possible. It's easy to run up a $1500 bill on sheetmetal parts alone. Then you get to spend a year cutting and welding.
    In the past year I've seen 5 mostly rust free SII's for under $6K. Most of them are in AZ, NM, or CA.
    I'm a big fan of LS motors, but a 304/345 is just as reliable if maintained and you switch to fuel injection.

4. Rivrat

Rivrat Farmall Cub

I'm thinking LS because of the power, reliability and mpg. I've been in the hotrod scene for quite a while and the LS is the way everyone is going. I've seen 28-30 mpg and 450hp out of a 6.0ls in a 1950 chevy pickup.

5. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer High Wheeler