Restore project - spring over axle question

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Smokedawg, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Farmall Cub

In the process of building a 79 ss for my son. We are going to swap the springs to over the axle. Anyone have any pictures of how you did the front passenger side with the differential?

Attached Files:

2. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Since the Scout 44 also requires a cut and turn for decent caster and pinion angles you're much better off getting a Chevy D44 which are factory SOA, pulling off the c yokes, and cutting the tubes down to Scout length with a bandsaw. It's about the same amount of work, but In the end you'll have a cleaner and stronger axle. Plus you get the chevy brakes and 100x better internal locking hub set up. I know it sounds easier to just hack away at the Scout axle and weld on a perch, but believe me if you do a Chevy axle you'll be much happier when it's all said and done. I found you a write up though on modding the Scout axle and ironically he mentions the Scout axle busting at the pumpkin which is not unheard of.
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...h-passenger-side-with-no-cast-welding.127181/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

A cut and turn is going to be needed. Every scout is different based on spring rates so the caster needs to be set up to the individual truck. When I did my SOA - for the second time - I used a scout dana 44. I worked on it a little at a time. Grind and test fit. It really did not take a long time to get it right.

Smokedawg likes this.
  4. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info. Wish it was standard on how much the front axle needed to be turned! I have it off the frame now with no drivetrain in it, so that will be hard to set.

Already have the rear axle spring hangers flipped and ready to install.

Do you turn the front axle to raise the front yoke to point directly to the transfer case? Right now my front yoke is 12 3/8" from the ground to center of the nut.

If not, what exactly am I trying to accomplish with the turn?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Caster angle. 4-5 degrees with radial tires works well. Do a search and read up. I've posted up a lot of info on it.

Set up everything up as close as possible and tack weld until you get all the weight back on it. Including whatever you normally carry, spare tire, tools, etc. Then bounce the suspension and let it settle. Make sure the shackle bolts aren't tight or it won't settle fully until it's been driven. I would point the yoke at the TC output and use a double cardan.

What are you doing for a draglink?

Post up pictures.

6. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info! I'm researching and buying parts as I need them. Since I havent dropped the front end to start work, I havent researched the draglink. Need to order a drop pitman arm.

Here is a recent pic. Just finished welding the rear axle spring mounts on this morning and ordered new spring bushings. Once I get the rear back in, Ill drop the front and start the work to lift the front. I guess it would be easy to throw the transmission crossmember back in and set the transmission/transfer case back up and support with a jack. Then I can get a good angle.

Attached Files:

7. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Farmall Cub

Motor

Attached Files:

8. BigBamaScoutii

BigBamaScoutii Farmall Cub

Bill-usn has a write up on how he did his. Good info if you haven’t read it yet