Restoration questions

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by Steel-Eer, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

So I pulled the trigger on the '80 Scout II. Shockingly there were more issues than the PO admitted but I feel I paid a fair price. I have a few questions that I can't seem to get answered on the GoogleBox Machine. I want to keep this truck as close to stock as possible.

Is it possible these are stock wheels? They have American Racing center caps. Additionally what appears to be the original hubcaps were in the truck. Build sheet appears to say "five spoke white" but again looking for confirmation.

Second was there a simple rubber trim strip (no chrome) on each side?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Side View.jpg Build Sheet 1.jpg Build Sheet 1.jpg Build Sheet 2.jpg
    Second was there a simple rubber trim strip (no chrome) on each side?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

The strip along the sides as a plastic piece similar to what Chevy was usiuning it was a bright finish but not polished stainless like the previous years.

White spokes were available (iirc) but just because they have American racing center caps does not mean that hey are not factory. The factory center caps did hold up very well especially in a salt rich environment like Chicago.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Good point on the center caps!

In regards to the trim, would it have been possible to remove the plastic shiny pieces on the top and bottom without the rubber portion in the middle? I want to keep this as close to stock but if it’s missing the plastic I may take it off completely.

4. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

I think you made a good point regarding the wagon wheels.

For a short period of time, I ran a set of those on my Scout that originated from a (I believe) 1979 Selective Edition S2 that were originally gold, via paint from IH. These are/were an inexpensive but well made wheel, and I had (4) period wheels.

Also note, these wheels are still being made, including our 5x5.5" bolt pattern. At the time I was running these, I ended up purchasing a new, in the box wagon spoke wheel, just so I could have a spare. I apparently did OK, as the wheel I purchased was every bit as sturdy as the OEM IH wheel(s) I acquired locally from a club member.

At the time I was running these, I had also made some queries regarding these wheels, both OEM and aftermarket, here on BP. At the time, I received multiple replies along the line of "buyer beware", as apparently many had also purchased new, 3rd party wheels, and it was not a positive experience. Again, I got lucky, and had a positive experience with mine, but, if you need to replace any of your wheels, or, just need a spare or replacement, I will pass along the "buyer beware". Make sure any new wagon wheels you purchase are 'up to snuff' before you accept delivery.

5. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

big rubber strip.

I acquired a big (non-Binder) early 1990's truck just over a year ago that had a big rubber strip running down either side. At least in my case, I found the big rubber strip very un-attractive, and I removed it.

I did add a pin-stripe. Very similar, if not identical to the one you have on your S2.

Some random person could force the issue, but, when I have it out, I don't park in places where I could get a door-ding. If you're so inclined, (before and after) pics at the end of my 1970 800a build thread. Link in the tag line below.

YMMV.

6. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Thanks again for your input. Was this rubber strip a factory option? Again I’d like to keep it close to the build sheet even though I would prefer to remove it.

7. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

I focus more on 80's and 800's than S2's, so I am going to defer this question and let someone with more S2 expertise answer here as to what is technically correct, vs Steel-Eer LST.

Steel-Eer, maybe a better way of emphasing my comment was one of personal likes and dis-likes. For my vehicle, I did not find the big black rubber strip down the side attractive. When I use this truck in public, rarely do I park it, where I might receive a door ding. IMHO, and, FWIW, I perceive the big black rubber strip down the side a functional item put in place to limit door dings, vs one geared towards looks.

I might suggest to you, if you like that strip, add it back. If not, remove it/don't reinstall it. Again, IMHO, if you were to ever find yourself in a car show situation where you were going to loose points, I would speculate that the big rubber strip would not be a difficult item to add, at almost anytime after the fact.

8. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

I don’t recall any having it as OEM. Best bet is get a copy of your line set ticket that shows how it was built at factory. Contact Wisconsin historical society or a light line vendor such as Super Scout Specialiats and they can help you get one using your Scout VIN.

9. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

Go up and recheck post #1

He has a copy of his LST there already.

10. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

Yup. Saw that earlier. Did not look thru entire thread only at most recent post.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

jeff campbell likes this.
  11. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Your LST shows the Deluxe Exterior Trim (code 16835) which had a trim piece on the side in more or less the same place as on yours.... but what you have there ain't it. It was a glued on setup bright and black as shown in the image. I don't know if it's still available. Also see an '80 with the white spoked wheels. Looks like they could be the right ones on yours.

Side Stripe.jpg
    Late ('80) Rallye.jpg

cthen1 and Steel-Eer like this.
  12. IdahoRyan

IdahoRyan Farmall Cub

I'm a newb so put me in my place if I'm wrong but from what I've been told those wheels don't appear to be original. I have 2 on my SSII that look like yours and 2 that I've been told are stock(see pics attached). I believe the original wagon wheel spoke triangles taper in and the ones that aren't stock have a hard edge. Can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

Steel-Eer likes this.
  13. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Originals do taper in the 1/4" thick ones are aftermarket.

cthen1 and IdahoRyan like this.
  14. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Hey guys thanks for the input on the wheels. I had a feeling they weren't stock. What looks like the original hubcaps were in it so now I have to decide do I want the hubcap look on normal tires or go more aggressive with wheels, tires, and lift. I can't make up my mind on whether I want the "stock" look or juice it up a little. The interior is in such good shape I hate to not keep it as original as possible.

15. IdahoRyan

IdahoRyan Farmall Cub

If you're taking votes, I vote stock. You can find stock wheels fairly easy if you don't mind paying for shipping. I also think on your Scout that white top, yellow body with white wheels looks sharp

16. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

My vote is little lift and more aggressive wheels and tires. Your going to want to replace the 50 year old break hoses and shocks anyway so why not give it a bit more ground clearance. Im also not a purist so I have no problem changing things if a newer better option is available.