Replacing a D170 diesel in my bus.

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Allan E, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

Okay, here goes.

I now have a fist sized hole in the block of my 550 c.i IH diesel. Something tells me a spot of JB weld ain't gonna do the trick.

Which diesel engines will bolt in?

I lack the skill to adapt the fuel injection system from something else, so I will be looking for a donor that drops right in, either using the same fuel injection system (as in the same type of engine), or one that has the fuel injection still attached.

The transmission is an Allison 4 speed, but I don't know the model, if there are differences. I do not want to go to a gas burner simply because the fuel costs will double, which will double the cost of any trip we take. The engine was starting and running beautifully, so what happened was probably just a fluke.

Suggestions about what will work will be greatly appreciated. I will keep gathering information and looking for bargains until I find what I want, and I am not in a hurry.

Thanks,

Allan

2. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Allan,

I am trying to get some options for you. I need a couple of things.

The complete ID number of your bus.
    The number off of your injector pump.

These things should allow for some crossreferencing at the International truck dealer here in Oregon who is willing to lend a hand.

They had a couple of used 9.0L Diesels in the shop that are supposed to be good as well.

Keep on Dieselin',

John Donnelly

P.S. here is our bunch at NWBRU, Allan.

Attached Files:

3. Allan E

Bus serial numbers

John-

The bus serial number is BA185JHB26001, mfg date 3/19/79. Body style S1853, 193 ' wheelbase.

Number from the injection pump is not apparent to me from looking at the top of the pump. Do I need to unscrew the filter and look at the bottom? It doesn't appear as if there is anything to it except a cam driven oil pump. No guts or anything that I can see except that it looks like a small shaft goes through it on the top. It is in the same spot that the fuel pump on an SV would be located.

Helena drove it for half an hour (the last half hour before it blew up) and had already fallen in love with how well it handled, and how comfortable it was to drive.

Knowing what I am looking for will certainly give me a more realistic goal.

Thanks,

-Allan

4. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

OUCH ! (NT)

Won't let me (NT)

Russ

5. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

Sorry to hear about the bus. I am looking for a diesel bus too and will probably end up with something with a DT-360 or DT-466 and hopefully a manual tranny. They cost more but are better engines that the others according to everything I have learned, mostly from Eldon McFarling.

I would look into a DT 360 or 466. These are much better engines than the V-8s. The 466 is probably the best diesel in its class. In frame overhaul kits for these two are only about 1000 bucks.
    They might bolt to your tranny just don't know yet. RPM range should be similar. If I get the info I will post.

Dan

6. Allan E

Dan-

I am more concerned about length of the 6 banger than whether it will bolt. I can find the bellhousing if it comes to that, but the nose on this bus is fairly short, and if I have to move the transmission back to fit it behind the radiator, I will be too far out of my league.

One drawback to an engine swap for me is that my engine hoist simply does not have the capacity to pull the engine at full extension, as this is only a 1000 lb rating. Fully retracted, I can go 4000 lbs, but I don't know if the boom will reach.

It occurred to me last night that if a 549 or 605 would bolt in, I would even settle for that, gas mileage notwithstanding. There is a local church with this bus (longer version), same transmission, and a 345. They like it enough not to want to sell it, and also to be willing to drop 2500 dollars into a transmission rebuild.

Taken in the context that a new motor home with a diesel runs about $50K and up, it is worth the effort to fix this one, but until I get much more knowledge, ability, and resources, I think simply replacing the engine with something (anything) that will bolt in is the best course. Naturally, finding a new friend with a spare DT466 and a shop would be handy right now. <grin>

Whatever you find out will be appreciated.

-Allan

7. jim barent

jim barent Farmall Cub

605 engine backside

i have a picture for you of the backside of a 605 engine.
    the boltcircle is 466 mm so you can maybe figure out if it will fit your tranny.
    hope to help.
    jim

Attached Files:

8. jim barent

jim barent Farmall Cub

flywheel

dont mind the flywheel as this engine was used for making electricity and needed a heavy one.
    it is bolted to the original one.
    jim

9. Allan E

Jim-

Thank you.

The engines are very similar. The location of the two oil filters is the same, and the long cylinders with the hollow spacing under the intake manifold. It is likely that they use the same bell housing.

I will keep looking to see if this will work. I have been *told* they are the same size and use the same hardware, but I can't remember who told me. My first choice is still diesel, but if I find a running gasser that will drop in, getting the bus on the road may take priority. This gives me an idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

-Allan

10. Allan E

rpm range of DT466

Dan-

Russ McLean looked up the DT466 specs for me. The engines are 46 inches long, which may be too long, and have a governed rpm of 2600, which may be too low. I will have to get a brownie to increase my top end as it is, but losing 15% of my top rpm will mean a new rear axle instead.

Still, that may be the best solution. I really like the idea of an in frame overhaul, and that surely is a sore spot right now due to the hole in the block. Naturally, it's a freak thing, but it sure is a drag.

I sure hope I am doing this reply correctly.

-Allan

11. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

While its in Ohio here is a page from Adelmans that lists 9.0l and 550 diesels.
    http://adelmans.com/parts.htm
    I listed another address for them on another thread.

Dan